Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Long term travel, what hats to take??

T Rick

Practically Family
Can't take them all (already thought of that!). I'm temporarily relocating to South East Florida again (a bit further North to start this time). In fact, I may be there anywhere from 2 to 6 months, possibly even longer.

I of course will take most of my straws. Including the Akubra Capricorn, 2 or 3 PB Cuenca's, and a black one from Bigali. But which fur felts to take? Last time I went, I had far fewer hats, and took my Caribou Nostalgia and my Bluegrass Green Camp Draft.

I'm thinking maybe the gray Playboy, a brown vintage Stetson, and an Open Road of 50's vintage, in addition to at least one Camp Draft (Heritage in Silver Belly probably). Whichever I take, I will surely wish I had others there. What about the Featherweight Champ? Wow, I wish I could take the collection... At least the newsboys and beret are no issue. Easy to pack them all up without worry of space or damage.

MCrider

A-List Customer
Boy I'm glad I don't have your dilemma! I'd say take at least one shorter brimmed hat along with the Camp Draft for diversity. The good part is that no matter what felt you take along, at least it will be in the winter months so you'll get more use out of them... it cools down to what - the 70's in December?

:p

Rodkins

Call Me a Cab
Playboy and Featherweight Champ for sure. They are a couple of my go-to hats down here. I go liner-less all summer.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
I've never worn a felt in South Florida, only straws. There were a couple days that I could have worn one (low 60s) but it wasn't worth bring/keeping one down there. But then I have always worn summer clothes in Florida winters.

Sam Craig

One Too Many
Can't take them all (already thought of that!). I'm temporarily relocating to South East Florida again (a bit further North to start this time). In fact, I may be there anywhere from 2 to 6 months, possibly even longer.

I of course will take most of my straws. Including the Akubra Capricorn, 2 or 3 PB Cuenca's, and a black one from Bigali. But which fur felts to take? Last time I went, I had far fewer hats, and took my Caribou Nostalgia and my Bluegrass Green Camp Draft.

I'm thinking maybe the gray Playboy, a brown vintage Stetson, and an Open Road of 50's vintage, in addition to at least one Camp Draft (Heritage in Silver Belly probably). Whichever I take, I will surely wish I had others there. What about the Featherweight Champ? Wow, I wish I could take the collection... At least the newsboys and beret are no issue. Easy to pack them all up without worry of space or damage.

If you can take all of those you listed, it sounds like you've got it figured out.
Check the plastic ... I think they're Rubbermade .... blanket cases. Probably Walmart. If you use foam circles to separate the hats, you can stack several in a container, then stack the containers in your back seat and keep them all safe. You can even "stagger" the brims as you stack the hats. But it's a great way to move them.

Good luck,

Sam

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
I've never worn anything but Panama's when I've gone down to Florida regardless of the time of year. It's just to tropical for my head for anything else. JMHO :)

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
T-Rick; Nice place to be hanging for as much as 6 months. You will miss the first big freezing rains (sleet) and snowfalls in Detroit this winter- OH MAN!

On the hat front, you have a good list of hats. I would suggest that when in Florida you may wish to continue your passion and hunt down some more vintage/new hats with using them in Florida in mind. An excuse for more hats is concurrent with temp. Florida residence.

I will be spending some time next July/August in London and will be watching your travel updates with a close eye. Most of my travels have only been for a week or so. This might be for as much as 7 weeks. Traveling internationally has presented challenges for me and my hat. The security folks - not so much. The on-board accomodations - very much. Not many lids need to be planned for short travel. When I pilot myself, I have no worries about hats - I get to set the airpline reg's. Cheers! In fact, I have begun to store hats at our cabin and other home so I do not have to transport more than what I am wearing.

Best in your travel prep, Eric -

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Some pantomime is in order in airports with hats. While traveling in Pakistan a few years ago, with its multiple levels of security at airports, I came throgh a final checkpoint for the gate with my hat on. They told me to take it off, so I did. After I passed through the magnetometer, or whatever you call it, I felt the top of my bald head, then looked in the hat like I'd lost my hair when taking it off. Then I looked behind me on the floor for the hair. That elicited a deep belly laugh from the nervous Pakistani security guards.

BR Gordon

One Too Many
I would like to borrow this thread, as I’ve been meaning to ask this very question.

My wife and I are considering a move to Santiago de Chile for two months this coming winter, January and February. I’m in a quandary as to which hats to take. Since we’re traveling by plane, I’ve limited myself to two hats. This time of year the average temperatures are: highs mid eighties and lows mid fifties. As we travel south the temperatures become more cool.

Since it’s summer there I thought that I’d take one panama hat and one felt, but on the other hand the temperatures don’t necessarily justify straw. The question that I want to make is, do you believe that two felts would be more versatile and suite a wider range of occasions? I’ve researched, and found nothing regarding hat customs, other than the hauso (Chilean cowboy) hats. Forty + years ago hats were worn regularly, at least in the countryside.

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I would like to borrow this thread, as I’ve been meaning to ask this very question.

My wife and I are considering a move to Santiago de Chile for two months this coming winter, January and February. I’m in a quandary as to which hats to take. Since we’re traveling by plane, I’ve limited myself to two hats. This time of year the average temperatures are: highs mid eighties and lows mid fifties. As we travel south the temperatures become more cool.

Since it’s summer there I thought that I’d take one panama hat and one felt, but on the other hand the temperatures don’t necessarily justify straw. The question that I want to make is, do you believe that two felts would be more versatile and suite a wider range of occasions? I’ve researched, and found nothing regarding hat customs, other than the hauso (Chilean cowboy) hats. Forty + years ago hats were worn regularly, at least in the countryside.

January is their summer, I would treat it like our summer hat-wise. My only experience in South America was Quito, Ecuador some time ago. The only fur felt hats I saw there was by the Indians, who wore tall-crowned derby type hats ubitquitously, but Quito has altitude. If you plan to spend a lot of time at altitude then you might bring a felt. Santiago to me judging by the 1700-ft altitude doesn't qualify for me as "high." Why not bring one of each to cover any contingency?

monbla256

Call Me a Cab

I think your thoughts about just two hats makes sense from ALL aspects one encounters in travel. They concur with my own which are predicated on the KISS principle :) Living in the south as I do, until it reaches into the upper 50's to upper 70's straws stay on my head regardless of where I am or what time of year it is. I sweat alot from my head so that also tempers what I wear. You know yourself and what comfort level you require so I would base my decision on those requirements as opposed as to what is "correct". JMHO :)

T Rick

Practically Family
T-Rick; Nice place to be hanging for as much as 6 months. You will miss the first big freezing rains (sleet) and snowfalls in Detroit this winter- OH MAN!

On the hat front, you have a good list of hats. I would suggest that when in Florida you may wish to continue your passion and hunt down some more vintage/new hats with using them in Florida in mind. An excuse for more hats is concurrent with temp. Florida residence.

I will be spending some time next July/August in London and will be watching your travel updates with a close eye. Most of my travels have only been for a week or so. This might be for as much as 7 weeks. Traveling internationally has presented challenges for me and my hat. The security folks - not so much. The on-board accomodations - very much. Not many lids need to be planned for short travel. When I pilot myself, I have no worries about hats - I get to set the airpline reg's. Cheers! In fact, I have begun to store hats at our cabin and other home so I do not have to transport more than what I am wearing.

Best in your travel prep, Eric -
I do have it narrowed, possibly nailed. Thinking 4 fine fur felts (try saying that 4 times fast!), the Playboy (gray), Champ Featherweight (blue/gray), a brown Stetson and the Silver Belly Camp Draft Deluxe (tan). These, plus the two Cuencas (brown and black bands) and black Bigali straw and Capricorn poly/straw.

On expanding the collection, I have a gray Strat going off to Art for a cleaning and ribbon, may have it sent down. Also, already checked, there are two antique malls and two antique stores within 15 or less miles of where I'll be staying, so....

Negative on the containers, no room. For this duration, I pack heavily. Full scuba gear (minus tanks and weights), guitars (narrowed to one Stratocaster and one Les Paul), small Vox AC-4 TV (goes down to 1/10 watt to enable harmony with the inevitable housemates), and a host of other items. My suitcase will probably go in the back seat, felts loose on top of it (guitars must be out of sight in the trunk, and even though it's a Town Car, the trunk fills easily with other items I'll be taking). Oh, one mistake I made last time- I left my flight bag home. Not this time, I'm due a biennial and some dual to get back current, then I'd really like to explore a bit of the Sunshine State from the air! A rented Skyhawk or similar will be just the thing.

In your case, I'd go with the first plan, Panama and Felt. But I can see where two felts would be tempting.

I've never worn anything but Panama's when I've gone down to Florida regardless of the time of year. It's just to tropical for my head for anything else. JMHO :)
Thing is, as much as I sweat, I am not certain how well my Panamas will hold up (they are all inexpensive models from PB). The one Llano weave Cuenca I have (bleached white) was heavily stained on my last trip to Disney (96 and humid). The Semi Caldo I bought recently was lightly stained on another recent excursion. The Akubra Capricarn has proven itself sweat proof, and the two Cuenca's are both unbleached, natural finish (I wonder if these tend to be more difficult to stain? They are nearly the color of the stains on the other two hats). These two served me well in FL last time, and have gotten more positive remarks than nearly any hat I own.

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
.....On expanding the collection, I have a gray Strat going off to Art for a cleaning and ribbon, may have it sent down. Also, already checked, there are two antique malls and two antique stores within 15 or less miles of where I'll be staying, so....

Negative on the containers, no room. For this duration, I pack heavily. Full scuba gear (minus tanks and weights), guitars (narrowed to one Stratocaster and one Les Paul), small Vox AC-4 TV (goes down to 1/10 watt to enable harmony with the inevitable housemates), and a host of other items. My suitcase will probably go in the back seat, felts loose on top of it (guitars must be out of sight in the trunk, and even though it's a Town Car, the trunk fills easily with other items I'll be taking). Oh, one mistake I made last time- I left my flight bag home. Not this time, I'm due a biennial and some dual to get back current, then I'd really like to explore a bit of the Sunshine State from the air! A rented Skyhawk or similar will be just the thing.............

TRick; Sounds like you have most of the details flushed out. Good stuff as if you are like me, it allows a breath of relaxation. Ready to enjoy the new adventure. As to the Skyhawk - sweet ride. Skyhawk's 180 hp engine, (reliable as they come) and 800lbs of gear or passengers capacity makes it the perfect forgiving, reliable small aircraft. I bet that will be fun. Watch out for the "triangle thingy" and landing on the water - I visited a small landing strip that was only available when the tide was out. Weird stuff out of the US airspace.

Art working on the Strat.... sounds like it will be as perfect as the hat can ever be. I will be anxious to see the outcome. I just truly enjoy my Strat.

Enjoy the preps and the adventure. Eric -

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apachepass