Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Long Vintage Hair

CassD

One of the Regulars
My hair is long, wavy and thick, and, like a complete nincumpoop, I let the stylist talk me into layers again when I got it cut recently, so I can't seem to get it to go up in anything besides a ponytial because of chunks of the shorter hair falling out. I'll have to give the rolls at the back a try and see if that will hold it up.

BombshellMomma

New in Town
Long hair question

I would like to start off by saying hello! I am new 'round here and I have been quietly reading posts and becoming more aquainted with vintage style. You ladies are so beautiful!
I wanted to ask about some 40's hairstyles with longer hair. I have searched the older posts and found a few things of interest but I was hoping to get a little help in regard to rolls. My hair is about 17 inches in front and 21 or so in the back and very thick. I style my hair everyday and I use pillow rollers and the snappy rolly ones to get it fluffy. My hair is naturally curly but it just isn't the same KIND of curl that I want to pull off my look. The problem I am having is with my rolls in front. I roll the hair back away from my face but my hair is so long the rolls are enormous. I feel ridiculous if I can't get it just right. I'm afraid to cut it although not completely opposed to the idea. I'm just not sure how long I can leave it to make it a little easier but not get rid of my length. What I am curious about is should I be making my curls on top tighter or looser to achieve a tighter roll? I thought that if I made them tighter I would have an easier time but when I took my curlers out yesterday it was none other than a poodly frizzy mess. I can barely comb the knots out. I realize it's about experimentation but when it takes over 24 hours for my hair to dry (which includes 1hr under a soft bonnet dryer) a hideous set is devastating! Anywho, I'm looking for help - any help. Thanks in advance.

The Shirt

Practically Family
Lolita Haze, Sunny and I think FiftiesFreak have had or have very long hair and I've seen them pull off some tremendous looks with rolls. Those are the first that come to mind - there are so many ladies with super long locks on here. Perhaps look thru their styles and photos for some additional ideas.

Would thinning some of the front down a bit rather than taking off length help?
Rather than teasing or back combing the front portion, maybe even flat ironing the portion closest to you head to flatten it down a bit might work to take out some of the volume.

I have the opposite problem and would kill for that length. :)

Sunny

One Too Many
I'm just impressed that your hair's that long and thick and you're successfully curling it! Mine's naturally wavy, fairly thick, medium-coarse and tends to frizz, but it takes curl well.

My hair grows fast. It's shorter than this now, but this'll give you an idea.

I've made only one attempt at pincurls. It took me two and a half hours to set, an uncomfortable night, and at least 30 minutes with a hair dryer before I could take out the pins. Then there was this, which proved impossible to comb out. Pretty horrible. I'm glad you're not asking for help with curls! Right now I mainly concentrate on the rolls to get the right look, and use either a curling iron or hot sticks once every couple days to keep enough wavy curl in. Even the sponge rollers gave me frizz, and my hair's not nearly as long as yours.

I do my rolls right back, too. I've been doing them daily for nearly a year now, through varying lengths of hair, although not 17". :D This is about as short as it's ever been, and it grows fast.
DSC00799-1.jpg

My front hair isn't much shorter than my back hair. Depending on how clean (= springy = non-cooperative) my hair is, the rolls vary in size. For a while I was using foam rollers for all of my hair, but now I don't bother doing it for the front. I don't need the volume that curl would give; instead, the extra fluffiness just makes it hard to get a smooth roll.

The hardest two parts in making my roll were (1) getting all the ends together smoothly and tucked inside the loop and (2) keeping the base of the roll, the part that shows, smooth and not loopy, fuzzy, or puffy.

When I got started I used gel or mousse to help with both (1) and (2). This helped a bit to control the length so it held together like one lock, instead of being fluffy and saggy and all different lengths. I only had to use it once; the next few days it would be fine, until I washed it again.

As I got better at making rolls, I started using VO5 hair dressing instead of mousse. It counteracts the excessive slippery-ness of clean hair, and helped keep the base of the roll smooth.

The best thing is to use a spring clip to hold the hair together about 3" from the scalp. I separate the hair for the roll, brush it straight up, then comb it to get it as smooth as possible; then put the clip on. Then I again comb the rest back up, getting it to hold together as much as possible, and roll it down. I roll to down to the clip, smoothing as I go, then release the clip and finish the roll.

I think that learning to do rolls is like learning to do french braids. As you get more experience, your fingers have more control and you can get it as tight as you want. My first few times I spent a lot of time and made them as small as possible because I didn't want them conspicuous, like this and this. These, (or at least the right one - the left rather collapsed that day), are relatively larger.

If you can start with a smaller loop, that might make it easier as well. My loop is roughly the size of a half-dollar. If you make yours smaller, nickel- or dime-sized, you'll end up with a tighter roll.

And in case you think your rolls are HUGE, go find some 1940s pictures of Dorothy Lamour (a lady here has a perfect avatar of her) or of the Andrews Sisters. That'll show you what height really is! :D

I'm sorry for so much writing! I'm not sure what will help you most. If you keep it smooth and tight, though, you can make even the longest hair into very moderately-sized rolls.

ChefCK

New in Town
I'm So Lost and Losing Hope....

Hi, I'm new here and just got finished perusing the boards for two days. Even after reading directions and watching tutorials...I'm hopelessly lost and hair illiterate.

I've always loved vintage styles, but the last time I've gone to an event that required my hair to be done up was 10 years ago. At that time I got the Veronica Lake pin curls done by a stylist as I've always done.

My problem lately is that I need a different updo for work that is a subdued vintage but fits certain parameters.
I've been doing the sock roll bun every weekday for the last three years and I actually had one of my students teach it to me when I started doing it. Prior to that I had cut my hair short since it was easier to maintain. The short styles do not fit my face/head but it was easier to maintain.

The sock roll bun has been giving me headaches lately and well, three years of it and you kind of get tired.

So, these are my parameters: No faddish styles (white girls with dreads/multiple braids), bulk cannot be over 3 inches, no loose ends with updos (i.e Rooster tails), no excessive bobby pins, and bands have to match hair color.

This is what I have to work with currently (and I'm currently broke and can't purchase a whole bunch of stuff): a set of velcro-like curlers my mother left here on a visit, 1/2" curling iron (I'm not to sure how to use it), seven bobby pins, hair bands, one inch round brush, small regular brush, gel that makes my hair look greasy and hairspray that makes my hair crunchy.

The styling products I've used in the past have all made my hair look greasy/dirty.

My hair is very limp, board straight, thin, and roughly 23" long. Growing up perms, curls and curlers never held up. I wear my uniform hat (I'm in the Air Force) or my chef hat about 90% of the 10 hours I work. I also swim twice a week and do a non-swim workout once a week.

Any help on a vintage updo that isn't too time consuming to do and meets the parameters above? I'm used to taking about 30 seconds to put my hair up and at times did not even brush it.

Here is a picture I have to work with, sorry if it is a little dark:
web.jpg

desi_de_lu_lu

Practically Family
Hello there, welcome to the Lounge.

You have er... quite the mission impossible there but a challenge is always a good thing... except you have too many parameters.

Are you looking for a vintage style for non work hours? Can you braid? I am looking for my old navy photos of when I had to put up ever single hair up in my garrison cap and I basically did two french braids along the sides and left a large portion of my bangs out of the braids which I successfully hot rolled with a curling iron into a reverse roll then pinned with three pins.

And in the back I secured my two french braids into one plaited bun.

That is all I have for you now... there is alot of talent on this board.. maybe some other gals can come up with some ideas.

Ciao
Desi

Joie DeVive

One Too Many
Ok, I'll take a crack at it. I'm not sure if you'll find my ideas helpful or not, but I'll give it the ol' college try!

First off you could try a french twist. I wore those all the time while teaching. They aren't so much 40s/50s vintage, more of a 1960s Breakfast at Tiffany's vintage, but they are sleek and smooth, and can be done with relatively few pins.

I have another favorite, but it's tricky to describe, and I don't think I have any pictures of it, but here goes!
What you do is you start with your hair parted as you like it. Then, starting with the hair by your temple, you start twisting it up and over moving towards the back of your head. As you twist, you add hair, kind of like with a french braid. Is this making sense? Then when you get to the back your head, you can clip or pin that piece of hair for the time being, and then do the same to the other side of your head. When you've finished, you can unclip/unpin it and use a hairband to make them into a small ponytail. With the remaining loose hair you can make a bun at the back of your head, or twist it up and under in kind of a sideways french twist. I like to just put all that loose hair in a snood, but if you don't have one, it isn't an option. You will probably want to use at least one bobby pin on each side twist to make sure they don't sag away from your head, but that would leave 5 to secure the bun or twist in the back.
I hope that made sense!

I'll have to dig around and see if I have a picture of it.

Good luck!

Joie

hotrodmama0201

Familiar Face
Not sure if you are open to the idea, but have you thought about cutting your hair? I don't mean whack it all off, but 3 or 4 inches?
The reason I am saying this is because a alot of the vintage styles are meant for shorter hair. If you go and take a look at old photos of styles and diagrams for haircuts from the 1940's, you'll notice not alot of women back then had very long hair.
At the same time, there are also plenty of ladies here on the FL and that I know who have long hair and still are able to pull off crazy styles. I'm not saying it's impossible, but it sounds like you might not have that ability. Which is ok, everyone has one hair hangup! Cutting your hair will allow you to do these styles you want so badly with alot greater ease and not be so time consuming, like you mentioned.
So, having shorter hair might have to be the sacrifice you may need to make. I myself cut 3 inches off of my already medium length hair just recently. I didn't want to, but my hair just wouldn't do anything. When you have very thin long whispy ends like I did, and you have right now, it's really hard to hold a curl. I am really happy with my hair right now, even though it is shorter, and it takes half the time for me to do a style and also looks 10 times better.

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
I agree with HotRodMomma. I'm a hairstylist and I used to work in a salon that was across the street from a Uniformed Public Health Service (uniformed HHS) office. Alot of my customers were women (and men) that had the same restrictions. Your best bet will be to either cut it to shoulder length, which will make it easier to wear in a french twist, which could be worn smooth for work or curly for going out, or a chin length bob, which could be worn curly like my avatar for going out.

Antje

One Too Many
I agree with rod hot mama and kamikat, your hair is so long that it is very difficult to handle.

If you like to make something more of your hairgel, just mix it with water so you can make your own setting lotion with it

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
Yes, get a good haircut. Your thin hair will have more bounce and body with a good, layered cut. You have an oval face, so many haircuts would look good on you. I say, try a bob--that's what I picture on you.

I used to be in the Air Force, too. Some short styles look better than others. Your face looks kind of fleshy (like mine); avoid fullness at the jaw.

Is there a female officer you know of who has great looking short hair? Ask her where she gets her hair cut.

And for goodness sake, take the time to fix your hair. :) You sound like you need some wind back in your sails--good looking hair is a necessary first step.

ChefCK

New in Town
oo, it's been awhile

Sorry, I couldn't get a reply in sooner.

I just want to say thank you to everyone for the wonderful tips. Now that I can afford it, I'm more than likely going to get a trim this week and then see what I can do. I need a cut anyways, as its been almost two years since I've had even a trim. Work hours, finances, and lack of a good stylist (the only one I trust is 12 hours away) in my area have kept me from getting a cut.

I picked up various bobby pins (straight/curved) and a triple barrel curler to add to the curlers my mom left on her last visit, so I'll have to teach myself how to use them.

Ms. Joie DeVive - I attempted the twist you described for a friend's wedding and it came alright. I may have messed it up a little, but it didn't look terrible.

Again thank you everyone and if I figure out how to do a hairstyle, then I'll post it in the "Show us your hairstyle" thread for critique :) although I am my own worst critique.

ChefCK

New in Town
I'm in the worst unit ever.....

Paisley said:
Is there a female officer you know of who has great looking short hair? Ask her where she gets her hair cut.

Unfortunately, there is no female officer around to ask advice and my female coworkers either keep really short hair, throw their hair in a quick bun, or are just as clueless as me. The ones with good hairstyles have a weave or wig, so for my type of hair, that option is out. lol

eyeless24

New in Town
hair009.jpg

this is how my hair is now... and ive styled it a few different ways before... but i cant seem to figure out what looks good on me now because ive cut my hair :( and its now layered.. quite a bit, and now i have layers.. and bangs.. so... im a little confused how i should go about styling it XD its rather odd.. so yeah. if anyone has any suggestions they'd be appreciated =]

LelaViavonie

Practically Family
eyeless24 said:
hair009.jpg

this is how my hair is now... and ive styled it a few different ways before... but i cant seem to figure out what looks good on me now because ive cut my hair :( and its now layered.. quite a bit, and now i have layers.. and bangs.. so... im a little confused how i should go about styling it XD its rather odd.. so yeah. if anyone has any suggestions they'd be appreciated =]

Do you need your hair up??

Just wondering cause if you do.. then you can pin up the sides.. and then twist the rest to make a really nice criss cross in the back.. you can even add a flower or something back there... thats what i do when I need my hair up

Fast.. easy and looks great :)

Sunny

One Too Many
Goldfish said:
Does anyone have more (picture) examples of chignons?
I can do lots of them, and I've got some more psuedo-chignon looks and updos. Are you looking for different ways to do a chignon, or are you looking for overall styles? A chignon is just an element of a hairstyle, like a wave or a roll. A slinky 1930s style is totally different in appearance from a schoolteacherish post-WWII style. It's how the chignon is made and placed, as well as what the rest of the hair is doing.

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
Sunny said:
What about truely classic-styled chignons? (Meaning I don't really want to look like a grandmother down on the farm. lol ) Or in 1920s and 1930s fiction, I've read brief (too brief!) descriptions of women with low chignons.

Please, ladies, I'd love to hear your advice. I'm at a loss! [huh]

While not being strictly 1930s, this is a sort of traditional low chignon with a 2008 twist. It's a bit messy and, I think it looks soft and femenine and not matronly or too severe at all. The fringe is optional.
Hope this helps!
allure.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21