Long Vintage Hair

Discussion in 'Beauty' started by Sunny, Sep 13, 2006.

1. Lareesie Ladavi

Lareesie Ladavi One of the Regulars

I actually put the shig/bun on the side and add chopsticks pretty frequently. I leave the front undone and parted to the side of my face, with the bun on the other side. I let whispy sprigs of hair stick out of the bun/shig too.

HadleyH, I like that.

2. Sunny

Sunny One Too Many

Hehe! I'll see what I can do. What I had in mind was actually just a plain simple bun, hair pulled straight back; but I've been thinking about it some more since, and there are other options. :D

That's a very pretty style, Hadley! If the hair was curly or loosely waved instead of straight, it's close to early 20s. A couple weeks ago I accidentally achieved such a look:

[​IMG]

Profile and Back

This is about three days after doing rag waving, per this article: http://www.forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=82 This technique doesn't give 30s waves, since they're too big and long and loose, but they're excellent for an early 20s look. I'm having fun experimenting. The funny thing is that that's not a bun at all. It's a single big roll, secured with a metal clip. I did it more loosely than usual, letting the combed-out third-day waves do what they wanted. But it's still a big roll in back! The bangs are just mine, no attempt to be either modern or vintage. ;)

3. Lareesie Ladavi

Lareesie Ladavi One of the Regulars

I like it! I like mine toward one side, so you can see it. Otherwise, I feel bald. :D

4. HadleyH

HadleyH I'll Lock Up

Very nice Sunny, I also like it! :eusa_clap

5. Sunny

Sunny One Too Many

Thank you both! And boy, I totally know the bald feeling. That's a big reason I've always had bangs. That, and my long narrow face, is also why I try so hard to have width in my hairstyle, like the waves in that one, or face-framing with my reverse rolls.

Right now I'm doing the same big back roll, but first I've got my hair clipped up on the sides with metal clips. That means from the front I look like I've got a really cute longer bob! I actually got a compliment on it from a co-worker this morning, too. :)

6. Goldfish

Goldfish A-List Customer

Well if you can (and want to) give that information I would be interested in a quick overview of the different styles of the decades.
    I have found more than enough modern chignon material - pictures or tutorials of vintage chignons never came up in my search.

7. Juniper

Juniper New in Town

Some more beauties of the 1930s-1950s with long hair (at least below armpit after curling) were:

Sherry Britton
    Rita Atlanta
    Betty Brosmer
    Glynis Johns
    Sandra Dorne

8. Anachronism

Anachronism One of the Regulars

I'd get bangs cut, and maybe 2-3" off the entire length. Also, you may want to invest in a 1.5" curling iron it will give your hair body and wave.

9. Fifties*Freak

Fifties*Freak Familiar Face

My older pics aren't showing up so I will repost a few styles.

Here is a pic showing the length.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Fifties*Freak

Fifties*Freak Familiar Face

I just now noticed that you wanted something quick. With long hair it sometimes takes a while to do an updo. It usually takes me about 20 to 30 mins and that is with alot of practice.

11. Lillemor

Lillemor One Too Many

I don't have long hair yet but VERY long hair is my goal so I'm going to have to learn how to bun, braid updos, twists, etc. that may not be vintage trendy in any context but that's not my aim either, I just want hair that's timelessly elegant, healthy, and always appropriate. It'll probably take me as long to learn these updo styles as it takes anyone to learn vintage correct styles.

So in the near future hair pins, all metal, heat and most styling products but especially those containing alcohol will be bannished from my hair! I guess I'll have to learn how to rag roll. I'll also have to look into organic hairstyling products and if they can protect and care for my hair at the same time, then that's a bonus.

The longer my hair is, the easier it is to tame and style. I also find it easier, cheaper and faster to care for and style long hair that is at least BSL but that was when I was just keeping the styles timeless and classic. Creating any vintage "feel" may take longer. When my hair is above shoulders and has layers, it becomes too independent.lol I don't have a face for very short hair; above ear length, pixies, etc. I don't have the hair for it either.:rolleyes:

That's not to say that I don't like shorter hairstyles. They can indeed be gorgeous on the right face with the right hair texture.:) I've just learnt through trial and error what works for me.

12. Vegan_Kitty

Vegan_Kitty New in Town

13. Rachael

Rachael A-List Customer

that is a great style! we have the same length of hair but I've never managed to get this look right. any chance I could get some tips?

14. Wow, Fifties*Freak! Lovely hairstyle, and it's amazing how "short" (relatively ;) ) and vintage it looks.

15. Tourbillion

Tourbillion Practically Family

I just wanted to add a photo of my hair from the Queen Mary weekend. My hair is waist length, but it looks 40's short here. All I did is curl it with foam rollers overnight and put it in a hairnet. I do have chin length bangs that are growing out though.

[​IMG]

16. Lillemor

Lillemor One Too Many

Tourbillion. That's very encouraging to see how well you've managed to style it. I refuse to give up on my long hair growing project but I may change my mind about what I'll be willing to do with my long hair after seeing this photo. I thought buns, twists, rolls and up-braids were going to be my only options and probably will be for day wear but it would be nice to try something different on occasions.

17. Philosophe

Philosophe New in Town

Hi! I'm really new to all this. This is actually the first time I've posted.
    Anyways, I have found a 40's dress in a thrift shop that I want to wear to my prom in a couple months. I thought it would be best if I wore my hair in a similarly vintage fashion. Thing is, I have no idea how to go about this, and I was hoping y'all could help me out.

My hair is a few inches below my shoulders in the back, and maybe half an inch past my shoulders in the front. It's naturally wavy, but has a tendency to frizz a whole lot. The hair itself is really fine, but I have lots of it, and it will hold a curl really well. Thanks to ballet and a mom who made sure I knew how, I know my way around a curling iron and curlers. I have lots of supplies, so that's no problem, I just rarely use them.

I have a picture of the back of my hair below (actually brushed for once!) if that's any help. I would love any suggestions you have! Thanks!
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/34324527@N08/3190149590/

18. Sunny

Sunny One Too Many

Oh, your hair's an excellent length for 40s styles - not that long at all! I recommend practicing with pincurls and/or rollers, and perhaps experimenting with rolls. There are lots of threads discussing the how-to's. You shouldn't have any problems!

19. Philosophe

Philosophe New in Town

Really? Awesome. I'll read them as soon as possible. Thanks!

20. laurakitty

laurakitty Familiar Face

I just did this- I hope it works! I've been looking for a way to get pretty vintage looking hair with my long straight thick hair so I hope that this is the one. At least I look cute with my hair up in the scarf- if it looks good tomorrow I will post a photo.