Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

looking for a certain style of hat.

caul

New in Town
Hello!
I am looking for a certain style of fedora. It's the type worn by Henry Fonda in "The Wrong Man," or Dana Andrews wore in "Laura." Looks like it has a high crown with sharp pinch in front and a diamond shape on top. I wear a 7 1/8. Grey would be nice but I'm open to other colors.

Thanks!

Brett

Sam Craig

One Too Many
Stetson, Dobbs and Knox all made several styles of fedora that could shape like what you want and in 7 1/8 they are fairly available and not that expensive on ebay.
The price seems to hike at 7 1/4.
For a little more, being you're in Kansas, you can go to Wichita Hat Works and pick out the felt you want. Believe me, if you show them shots from those movies ... readily available on the web ... they can fix you up.
From years of experience, I can also tell you that Kansas is not THAT bad of a place to hook up with lids in antique malls, etc.
Make sure if you go that route to find one that is unstained, has good body and no breaks in the felt. Jack at Wichita Hat Works can fix most things to give you a like-new hat.

Good luck and welcome to the Lounge,

Sam

If you can find the style you like as an open crown you can put in the pinch and crease you like. Matt Deckard had a run of high / straight crown fedoras done but I'm sure he is out of that size. The style was a bit more prevalant in the 1930's if I recall right.

caul

New in Town
Hello!

Thanks for the info. I had no idea about Wichita Hat Works. It looks like a great place. I live in Baldwin City KS, so it would be about a 2.5 hour drive. I've never been to Wichita, so I'm sure my wife and I could find some other cool stuff to do to make it worth the trip.

I have been looking on ebay and have seen some that look like I want but I figured I'd ask on here, seeing as there is a wealth of knowledge and the people are nice. I did think of the going the open crown route as well but I'd have to find someone to work it up for me.

Again, thanks for the info! :)

brett

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
islamicjankari