Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Looking for a hat for my dad

ShortAndCashed

One of the Regulars
My dad just told me that he's looking to buy an oilcloth hat, and I don't think he'd be totally happy with one, so I'm trying to talk him into something a little nicer. He's set a pretty low budget, and told me a couple things he'd like. So, here's what I'm looking for: a proportioned fur felt western in dark brown or dark gray in 7-5/8, preferably a lower crown, but doesn't have to be too low. OFAS has failed me on hats in his price range in this size, so I've come to you guys for help. I'll be handling the transaction myself, so there will be no middle-man troubles.

Terry "The Hat"

Practically Family
What is his price range. If it's in the $70's or so and he sticks with the oil cloth try to get him into a "Tilley" Outback. They have it in a med brim or a large brim. I wear one everyday at work at Home Depot and then my Felts after work. The Outback is a great work hat and rain hat.

hyhats

New in Town
I like a Henschel hat called The Dude, but it's not fur felt -- it's an oiled cowhide western style that's quite good in the rain.

mattface

Practically Family
Filson's Packer hat comes in Shelter Cloth (oil cloth) and in Wool versions. Its made in U.S.A. and it's not that expensive.

Sam Craig

One Too Many
OFAS stands for 3 thing(s):
1.OFAS: Office of Food Additive Safety
2.OFAS: Oncofetal antigens
3.OFAS: Optical Fiber Amplifiers
????????????????

Not sure what you're after or who OFAS is, but unless your dad needs a formal dress hat or is doing extended outdoor work, what is wrong with picking up a decently-made wool felt hat?

Check Village Hat Shop. They have several decent wool felt styles under $50.

The other alternative is to shop Salvation Army until you luck into a large size and then reshape the crown and brim to suit him.

We get mighty snooty about fur felt hats, but let's face it, most of us are investing in hats we wear every day.
In my case, I wear a hat all day, indoors and out. I can justify the investment.
I gave a friend two of my c-crown wool felts this winter. He wears them from his house to the car, from his car to the office. They look great on him and he is crazy about them. They do their job.

Nothing at all wrong with that.

ShortAndCashed

One of the Regulars
Our favorite Auction site. LOL Sorry about that. Yeah, we do, but I think he'll be unhappy with his oilcloth in a few weeks, and I was trying to save him from that. I'm gonna let him handle it instead, and let him see what he comes up with.

Sam Craig

One Too Many
S&C

I agree about the oilcloth.

It tends to be uncomfortable for anything other than a rain hat.

Try him out with a wool felt with a nice cloth band. Real comfy!

Thanks for the 411 on OFAS!

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Yeah, I've about decided to let him find his own... He doesn't take advice well, and he wants to spend less than $20... :(

Hi

I had an oil cloth hat, I'm sort of a pack rat, and I DID get rid of the oil cloth hat. If you get your Dad an oil cloth hat, whatever you do, don't buy the extra coating and put it in. You won't need that stuff for 5 years or so. I wore an oil cloth hat to Scout camp at 100 plus degrees, won't do it again.

I lived in Decatur AL from 1990 until October 1994, loved it. I'd buy your Dad a Sunbody hat for Summer, the total cost to get a really nice new ribbon shaping etc will be roughly $60.00 and you can go to Covington TN at Mike Moore's place (Buckaroo Hatter) to get it. The Sunbody, or Panama Bob straw hats are the least expensive way to get a good long lasting hat.

I would strongly suggest that you don't have Dad get a wool hat. It rains regularly in the South, wool shrinks when wet. He won't like the hat after it shrinks, this MIGHT lead to him not liking hats at all. Wool hats ($40 to $80) are only slightly less expensive than Rabbit fur felt ($120 and up), and the fur felt ones will last decades.

In summary, I suggest that you get your Dad a Sunbody hat from Mike Moore (just North of Memphis). He can fit the crown height and brim to your Dad's face, and the hat won't cost a lot. If you soak the Sunbody hats once over couple of months, they'll last a long time. If your Dad likes the hat, then you can start looking at Akubras next Fall.

http://www.buckaroohatters.com/

Later

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn