Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Looking for a lightweight but stiff summer fedora

Doc Glockster

One of the Regulars
I've been wearing the Jaxon safari hat from Village Hat Shop in the summer because of its light weight. I replaced the cheesy hat band with a puggaree.

I actually prefer a wool or fur felt hat because I like a stiff hat, but those are dang hot in the summer.

Does anyone make a lightweight but stiff wool or fur fedora or (cough) Indiana Jones hat that's appropriate for warmer weather?

NOTE: The key word is "stiff": nothing crushable or packable.

tommyK

One Too Many
If you must have new, the modern Borsalino's are generally pretty lightweight. I'd get a lighter color as well and a tall crown. Having a tall crown makes a noticeable difference. Not having the crown right close to your scalp is key.

A lot of vintage hats are quit light like Stratoliners and Playboys. I like vintage Open Roads in silverbelly as well for summer, later ones tend to be stiffer.

Last edited:
It's easy enough to add stiffener.

Western wear shops frequently carry the stuff, usually Kahl and Bickmore brands. It comes in a little spray bottle for which you'd pay several times the price per ounce as hatters pay when they buy it by the gallon. But even avid hat wearers would take a couple of lifetimes to make much of a dent in a gallon container of the stuff.

It's usually best to apply it from the inside of the crown, which necessitates turning out the sweatband and removing the liner, if it has one. Spray on a light coat, let it dry, and then determine how much more, if any, you wish to apply.

If you wish to add stiffener to the brim, first turn the sweatband back into its proper position and then completely fill the crown with clean rags or something, so as to keep the stiffener off the leather.

Isn't the stuff just water with some corn starch in it?

No. Not sure what all is in it, but it has some shellac or shellac-like stuff in it.

I've used regular old clear shellac diluted with alcohol. And I don't recommend it. I now keep a supply of hat stiffener from a supply house that does the trick.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot