Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Looking for a Natal Leather jacket

This brand is starting to develop some kind of cult following. I saw a few threads on here before where folks were hyping them up and they look like nice affordable jackets. But the heavyweight part, I wonder if this is a subjective thing for some, like the way it makes someone feel, or if its literally heavyweight.

I came close to picking up a black Natal (not Natel) 46 CR scooter jacket but when I found out about the weight, about 5lbs, to me, that wasn't really "heavy" enough. A couple other listings I contacted the owner and most are in that 4-5lbs range. My LW 3.25oz J-100 is a 46 and that is easily 5+lbs, so I was thinking Natal, if it does have anything heavier, must really be on a case by case basis.

The first jacket I got that was among my earliest "serious" purchases, was a size 44 Natal (or WD, not sure which one it was as it didn't have the tag) and it was just a little under 4 kg - or 8.5 lbs - heavy. It was exactly the same model as Guppy's CR. Same hide, hardware, everything. I've had and handled many jackets afterwards but I never found one, especially not a cafe racer, that could match it.

Aside from being heavy, WD/Nat?l jackets are the definition of a hard wearing, purely utilitarian and proper riding jackets. They're not nearly as fancy as some other brands, Schott included but what they lack in refinement they make up for in toughness. The stitching on mine was mostly okay with some shabby bits here and there but considering how insanely thick the leather on 'em is, I don't think any machinist could've done a much better job. Pockets were lined in insanely heavy canvas and the insulated lining was so damn warm that the jacket was easily getting me thru 20f or under days.

Anyhow, back then when I bought that cafe racer, I couldn't stop dreaming about how Aero or Vanson and their super ultra heavy weight competition hides must be like then. When I finally got them, honestly... I was underwhelmed. Maybe even downright disappointed. Both had some better aspects but overall, Natal jacket was checking more boxes than each. I still feel could've just stopped buying jackets right there and then, after that Nat?l/WD cr and I wouldn't have missed out on a single thing.

But that's just me...

Here's one that I have now.
IMG_20180915_151033.jpg

ljs1960

One of the Regulars
The first jacket I got that was among my earliest "serious" purchases, was a size 44 Natal (or WD, not sure which one it was as it didn't have the tag) and it was just a little under 4 kg - or 8.5 lbs - heavy. It was exactly the same model as Guppy's CR. Same hide, hardware, everything. I've had and handled many jackets afterwards but I never found one, especially not a cafe racer, that could match it.

Aside from being heavy, WD/Nat?l jackets are the definition of a hard wearing, purely utilitarian and proper riding jackets. They're not nearly as fancy as some other brands, Schott included but what they lack in refinement they make up for in toughness. The stitching on mine was mostly okay with some shabby bits here and there but considering how insanely thick the leather on 'em is, I don't think any machinist could've done a much better job. Pockets were lined in insanely heavy canvas and the insulated lining was so damn warm that the jacket was easily getting me thru 20f or under days.

Anyhow, back then when I bought that cafe racer, I couldn't stop dreaming about how Aero or Vanson and their super ultra heavy weight competition hides must be like then. When I finally got them, honestly... I was underwhelmed. Maybe even downright disappointed. Both had some better aspects but overall, Natal jacket was checking more boxes than each. I still feel could've just stopped buying jackets right there and then, after that Nat?l/WD cr and I wouldn't have missed out on a single thing.

But that's just me...

Here's one that I have now.
IMG_20180915_151033.jpg
Thank you for the help.
Simply a stunning jacket, but I suppose you want keep it and do not sell it for the next 100
years...
Is'it correct?

Thank you for the help.
Simply a stunning jacket, but I suppose you want keep it and do not sell it for the next 100
years...
Is'it correct?

TBH, I only recently got it. Right before the summer so I haven't had much chance to wear it. I'd like to figure out first if it can be a worthy replacement for my Hein Gericke.

It's not easy dealing with Lost Worlds owner Stuart.
After my first LW jacket purchase, things got better with Stuart.
Very good jackets, no compromise.
Same feeling about Langlitz.
About Aero, my personal opinion is that main zip is always too small and it make difficult to zip up them. To me, too many styles.
I'll be very happy if you could tell me more about Cal Leather.
I was not able to find any notice about it.
As I said, in Italy people know Schott and Vanson.
No more.
I looked for Cal Leather on Ebay, very few items and very expensive too.
Is there a Cal Leather style that you could suggest me, an "archetipo" or most rappresentative Cal Leather style jacket?

Cal Leathers archetypes are the cross-zip CHP and straight-zip Police jacket. The latter also is well-done by LW. CLs vintage leather ages incredibly well. Might be my favorite. The trick is finding one in good condition. Many times they are not sold as CLs on eBay since the sellers do not know what that are trying to sell. You have to be patient and hunt them down.

I also have a WD Scooter. Love it.

Camaro1967

One of the Regulars
a little under 4 kg - or 8.5 lbs - heavy
That's what I remember you and Guppy having talked about in a previous thread. I've been trying to hunt one down at that heft, but everything I have found has been 5lbs or less.

I couldn't stop dreaming about how Aero or Vanson and their super ultra heavy weight competition hides must be like then
I was sort of like that, too, until I got my LW Anj-4. It's not built for racing or anything like that, but it's plenty damn heavy and more jacket than I'll ever need. Now, instead of (or in addition to) heavy weight stuff, I can't stop dreaming of Japanese jackets. It doesn't help that I end up going to Japan half a dozen times a year either. The struggle is real...

ljs1960

One of the Regulars
I have a brown Natel Cafe Racer in size 44, and it's one of my very favorites, so not for sale.

I have a couple of black ones in size 42 and 44, and I don't need them all, so I might sell one, but not the crosszip.

I did sell the size 40 that was my first. It was the nicest, but just slightly to small on me when I was at 185 lbs. The difference between 40 and 44 is remarkably minute.
HI, Guppy.
Have you already sold yours 40"?
If you didn't, howmuch is pit2pit?

Guppy

I'll Lock Up
HI, Guppy.
Have you already sold yours 40"?
If you didn't, howmuch is pit2pit?
The 40 sold earlier this year. I have a few other Nat's and WD in size 42 and 44, and I'd part with one or two of them for the right price. As stated earlier the sizing is very close between 42 and 44, I barely notice any difference between the two. For reference, my black 44 Natal CR has a p2p measurement of about 23.5". I haven't measured the 42 recently but it's probably 22.5-23" as well. I'd have to get them all out and measure them for a proper comparison, but I'm not likely to do that unless someone is serious about buying one.

As far as Cal Leather goes, they're mostly known for police jackets, the California Highway Patrol model, which is so similar to the Langlitz Columbia that many mistake a Cal with no label for a Langlitz. They have a few other designs, but their range is narrow and specialized for motorcycle riding. Cal uses fur to line the cuffs of the sleeves to keep the draft out, and they have a visible line of stitching across the top of the handwarmer pockets which is not present on a Langlitz Columbia. The leather is seriously thick, heavy and stiff stuff, heavier than Langlitz, but with a less luxurious hand, but if toughness is your thing, they've got it in spades. The best Cal Leather jackets are from the 50's and 60's, but are the hardest to find, and when you do they're usually thrashed, with gutted linings, busted zippers, and cracked leather, missing belt loops, and such. But find a good one, and they're the best of the best, first among equals. Cal is still in business today, very expensive, but I'm sure completely worthwhile. New they start around $1500+. Used typically $700+ in good condition, occasionally down into $300-400, but usually destroyed in that range. But it's common for them to lose their label and be listed as unknown maker, so if you have a good eye for them, then you can luck into a bargain gem for maybe $350-450.

I have no experience with any of the Canadian makers you mentioned, so no opinion on them. I've seen photos, they look ok. I hear good things, but I don't know that any of them are known for using super thick hides.

ljs1960

One of the Regulars
The 40 sold earlier this year. I have a few other Nat's and WD in size 42 and 44, and I'd part with one or two of them for the right price. As stated earlier the sizing is very close between 42 and 44, I barely notice any difference between the two. For reference, my black 44 Natal CR has a p2p measurement of about 23.5". I haven't measured the 42 recently but it's probably 22.5-23" as well. I'd have to get them all out and measure them for a proper comparison, but I'm not likely to do that unless someone is serious about buying one.

As far as Cal Leather goes, they're mostly known for police jackets, the California Highway Patrol model, which is so similar to the Langlitz Columbia that many mistake a Cal with no label for a Langlitz. They have a few other designs, but their range is narrow and specialized for motorcycle riding. Cal uses fur to line the cuffs of the sleeves to keep the draft out, and they have a visible line of stitching across the top of the handwarmer pockets which is not present on a Langlitz Columbia. The leather is seriously thick, heavy and stiff stuff, heavier than Langlitz, but with a less luxurious hand, but if toughness is your thing, they've got it in spades. The best Cal Leather jackets are from the 50's and 60's, but are the hardest to find, and when you do they're usually thrashed, with gutted linings, busted zippers, and cracked leather, missing belt loops, and such. But find a good one, and they're the best of the best, first among equals. Cal is still in business today, very expensive, but I'm sure completely worthwhile. New they start around $1500+. Used typically $700+ in good condition, occasionally down into $300-400, but usually destroyed in that range. But it's common for them to lose their label and be listed as unknown maker, so if you have a good eye for them, then you can luck into a bargain gem for maybe $350-450.

I have no experience with any of the Canadian makers you mentioned, so no opinion on them. I've seen photos, they look ok. I hear good things, but I don't know that any of them are known for using super thick hides.
Thank you, Guppy.
About your Natal Leather jacket, having the 42" and 44" sizes almost the same measurements, could you sell me a brown one?

Guppy

I'll Lock Up
Thank you, Guppy.
About your Natal Leather jacket, having the 42" and 44" sizes almost the same measurements, could you sell me a brown one?
Nope! My brown CR is mine for life. Maybe if someone offered me $5,000. But I'd be pissed off at myself afterward.

I'd sell one of my black ones, maybe. You don't see brown nearly as common.

ljs1960

One of the Regulars

Sorry, Guppy.
I've forgetten that you don't want sell your Natal brown one, because it's one of your favourite.
If you have another one available, could you tell me its size, pit2pit, and what you'd ask for it?
I'll be very happy if you me some pics about it.

Guppy

I'll Lock Up
Sorry, Guppy.
I've forgetten that you don't want sell your Natal brown one, because it's one of your favourite.
If you have another one available, could you tell me its size, pit2pit, and what you'd ask for it?
I'll be very happy if you me some pics about it.
Pm sent.

I have a Brimaco from Canada. Cool jacket but Guppy is spot on, not the thickest hide. No where near the brands we are discussing here. I posted a pic on another thread of a Cal from the 50s that should give you a good idea of what we are talking about. I walk by my jacket closet and gawk at it almost every day.

I have a Brimaco from Canada. Cool jacket but Guppy is spot on, not the thickest hide. No where near the brands we are discussing here. I posted a pic on another thread of a Cal from the 50s that should give you a good idea of what we are talking about. I walk by my jacket closet and gawk at it almost every day.

I've had a later Brimaco, the CR and it was actually made from a very thick leather. It wasn't any lighter than any Vanson but yeah, Brimacos are all over the place leather-wise.

I've had a later Brimaco, the CR and it was actually made from a very thick leather. It wasn't any lighter than any Vanson but yeah, Brimacos are all over the place leather-wise.

Good to know I got gyped. Seriously though, I do like the jacket, now vest.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner