Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Looking for a serious porkpie

tweedbowler

New in Town
I am not much of a fedora guy. In fact, I am not a fedora wearer at all. Its crown doesn't suit me, the brims are too wide, and it's not the image I have in mind for myself. I will wear a bowler very occasionally, but my staple hat is a porkpie. Upturned brim all the way around, not too 'stingy'. I have two porkpie hats: one wool felt Mayser (my everyday hat, now due for replacement), and one vintage fur felt black Harrods hat (which I suspect was made by Lock & co). The latter is very nice, but it being my 'good' hat I feel that a new hat purchase is due.

Given that my wool felt everyday companion is due for retirement, I am looking for a good fur felt replacement. Where should I look for a serious fur felt porkpie?

(I am in the UK, by the way).

Rabbit

Call Me a Cab
Welcome to the Lounge, tweedbowler.

Try vintage hats on eBay US. There's lots of porkpies coming up for cheap.
Or post a WTB (want to buy) thread here in the Classifieds section, stating your preferred hat size or your actual head size.

In the unlikely event that a light brown fur felt porkpie with dark brown band and 2" brim, size 56.5cm would fit your needs, I happen to have one for you.

Btw, general questions like this properly belong in the sticky "Ask a question, get an answer".

The Rag And Bone Man

One of the Regulars
Are you looking for one in the UK, to save on shipping fees or are you ok with the overseas option.
Reason i ask is because i know a great site that i visit, that has a deadstock 1950 pilgrim made, porkpie for $42 bucks, with an inside circumference of 21.5 inches, it looks great..

tweedbowler

New in Town
Rabbit - thanks for the tip! And sorry if I posted in the wrong forum. Sadly, I am a UK size 7 1/8, US 7 1/4, 58cm, so your porkpie won't fit me. I might post a wanted ad though!

HatsRme - Art's hats are lovely, but a little rich for me. I might have one made for a special occasion at some point, though. But for a daily hat that sees all kinds of weather, wear and tear, being taken into establishments of varying respectability, and so on, it might be less suited...

Rag and Bone Man - that's a very small hat! If my head were that small, I would have a lovely hat collection indeed.... Thanks for the tip though.

Because of my mellon-sized head, (a curse which limits my ability to find anything that fits) I'm super-cognizant of the irreplacable aspect of real vintage hats, especially NOS. I do wear my vintages, but for the wear and tear daily or bar-room dangers, etc., I always wear one that CAN be replaced by a hat maker today. That could be by Mr. Fawcett, or Stetson, or Bailey, etc.

I have always felt we members of the Lounge (Brothers of the Brims?) have something of a custodial responsibity for the vintages, to respect our elders...

Just a thought.

Neophyte

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Akubra makes a porkpie (HatsDirect.com). You could also reshape a hat to achiev the porkpie crown.

Other than that, you should definitely check eBay.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou