Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Looking for black denim jeans, classic cut

andyone

A-List Customer
I now have a good collections of nice pants and notice that I like "classic" cuts more and more. By classic I mean:
- little taper
- high waist
- rather wide cut

a cut a bit like this (a chino from At last)
43345781jm.jpeg

What I am still missing is a pair of jeans in black denim in this style.
I have a black Stanton from Rogue Territory, but meanwhile it is too tapered for me.

From Pike Brothers I have a 1937 Roamer Pant in blue denim, which I like. They also come in black.

I really like the cuts of the Pikes, but I would prefer a higher waist.
An example of a Pike in black wabash on me, I would also prefer a higher waist...
43345782xe.jpeg

Can anyone recommend me a pair of black jeans that:
- has a wide cut (classic cut)
- has a high waist
- is relatively easily available in Europe
- costs roughly the same price as the Pike Brothers (150 euros)

Thanks in advance for any hints!

Aloysius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I think you can get a lot of good jeans at that budget, including proper repro cuts with high waist and a wide straight leg, however that budget + in Europe + black limits your options quite a bit.

If you’re willing to consider something considerably cheaper, the Wrangler 13MWZ in black does everything you want, and its denim has a pedigree.

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up

Aloysius

Have you looked at Iron Heart 888?

The only place you’re going to get Iron Heart at that price is in Japan. The “Iron Heart UK” guys have a monopoly on all international sales, so all sellers outside Japan charge their markup, which is considerable.

andyone

A-List Customer
I think you can get a lot of good jeans at that budget, including proper repro cuts with high waist and a wide straight leg, however that budget + in Europe + black limits your options quite a bit.

If you’re willing to consider something considerably cheaper, the Wrangler 13MWZ in black does everything you want, and its denim has a pedigree.
Thanks for the hint with the Wrangler - I will have a look at it!

If you would remove the "in Europe" and maybe some more budget what brand/model do you think about? Black it has to be :)

SimonR

One of the Regulars
Another vote for the Wrangler 13MWZ ... I've ordered both blue and black direct via amazon from the USA delivered to the UK.

I have noticed the blue denim is stiffer than the black and as such I've taken to over dying these black and I personally much prefer them like this.

I've tried iron heart 888 and returned them as I didn't personally think they offered anything over the Wrangler.

I have a couple of pairs of Prison Blues coming direct from the USA which I'm hoping will be good as they run quite a bit more expensive than the Wrangler when you add delivery.

andyone

A-List Customer

andyone

A-List Customer
Another vote for the Wrangler 13MWZ ... I've ordered both blue and black direct via amazon from the USA delivered to the UK.

I have noticed the blue denim is stiffer than the black and as such I've taken to over dying these black and I personally much prefer them like this.

I've tried iron heart 888 and returned them as I didn't personally think they offered anything over the Wrangler.

I have a couple of pairs of Prison Blues coming direct from the USA which I'm hoping will be good as they run quite a bit more expensive than the Wrangler when you add delivery.
Thanks! I will really have a look at the Wrangler!

marker2037

Practically Family
I would look at the Bravestar true straight fit. I recently got a pair in the 16.5oz Japan denim and they are becoming a favorite already when I want a fuller cut, which is often nowadays. The rise is very nice, for my size at least.

They have a black option currently available.

Aloysius

Thanks for the hint with the Wrangler - I will have a look at it!

If you would remove the "in Europe" and maybe some more budget what brand/model do you think about? Black it has to be :)

Stick to the Wrangler 13MWZ. It’ll do everything you need.

Not yet - but It looks trim at the cuff and pricewise it's a big step up?!

Iron Heart UK fans will recommend Iron Heart products even if you make a post asking for the best t-shirt under $20. The IRON HEART ARMY overrides any of the stated requirements. Once you’ve been in this hobby a bit, you learn to tune them out. :D

Aloysius

I just remembered Lee Europe makes some nice wide leg jeans in Italy using high quality Japanese denim. Some of it may be black. It runs about 200 dollars in the US so I think you might be able to find it around your budget within Europe.

Edward

Bartender

Might not be easy to find there, but Black Wrangler Cowboy Cut jeans run ~ $49 USD and would be all the things you are discussiing, if you go Standard verses slim-fit model.

They look like this, maybe you can order them from your locaiton:

View attachment 416435

Clicked on the thread to recommend the 13MWZ Cowboy Cut in Shadow Black. I intend to pick some (more) up myself in due course. I've owned two pairs of Wrangler 13MWZ, bought in April and December 2019. Both got worn much harder than jeans normally would with me, as the pandemic and a mix of circumstances meant I was at home and throwing them on out of habit far more than I normally would jeans. FWIW, both pairs have taken three and two and a half years' of hard wear very well. About two years in, I had to patch some wear between the upper thighs. Recently, I noticed that inside, under the cuff, there is some wear from my boots. Plenty of life left in them still, though (if not as "dress jeans", if you're into that sort of thing) - I'm sure there's another six months of hard wear in both pairs had they not been a couple of sizes too big now (I've dropped fifty pounds since January).

They certainly do have pedigree: the cut is still exactly the same as when they were first issued as the 11MWZ (denim used for the first couple of years was 11oz, then switch to 13, hence the change in nomenclature) in 1947. Still made from US denim, these days assembled a little lower down the North American continent, in Mexico.

They do the indigo in a 'rigid', while all other colours are 'rinsed'. TBH, I've had both and not noticed a significant difference after the first wash. Weight is the same.

Prison Blues are nice. Better zip in the Wrangler, imo, but the PBs are worth owning too. Lovely denim. Not had the black PBs - don't know if they have the "traditional" difference in warp / weft or are black right through like the Wranglers? I do like a contrast cuff, though that said dyed-thru will stay black looking far longer before they go all Steve Strange.

Wrangler also do a loose fit version I'm keen to try, the 31MWZ. I have a halfway notion that the Cowboy Cut range are sold in the UK, just under a different name (and probably more expensive), but I've never been able to figure it out.

The Prison Blues Work Jeans are really nice if you want something with a slightly different flavour and you like braces with denim.

I just remembered Lee Europe makes some nice wide leg jeans in Italy using high quality Japanese denim. Some of it may be black. It runs about 200 dollars in the US so I think you might be able to find it around your budget within Europe.

Aero at least used to stock a lot of this, not sure what's still available.

SimonR

One of the Regulars
They do the indigo in a 'rigid', while all other colours are 'rinsed'. TBH, I've had both and not noticed a significant difference after the first wash. Weight is the same.
I'ved just pulled out a pair in each colour of the 13MWZ as I've a stock of unopened ones :)
The blue are definately more rigid than the black which feel soft from the get go ..... I always air dry the blue ones and they dry the same rigid feel as the new ones .... my black ones I tend to throw in the tumble dryer which I assumed accounted for the softer feel until I opened the new ones side by side.

May just be batch differences

Psant25

One Too Many
I love my wrangler cowboy cut. I have a few blue, black, brown. I get them tapered at my local shop to a 7-7.5 inch opening. Still cost effective given the starting price. I like the waist height, solid denim, back pocket placement. They last a while. I grab the blue denim ones when they are like 19 bucks on amazon.

Edward

Bartender
I'ved just pulled out a pair in each colour of the 13MWZ as I've a stock of unopened ones :)
The blue are definately more rigid than the black which feel soft from the get go ..... I always air dry the blue ones and they dry the same rigid feel as the new ones .... my black ones I tend to throw in the tumble dryer which I assumed accounted for the softer feel until I opened the new ones side by side.

May just be batch differences

Interesting, I wodenr was mine an odd batch - or does the difference in dying process affect it?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points