Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Looking for info on this D-1 Jacket

mr_lits

A-List Customer
$(KGrHqV,!psFBc1CdrtUBQcc9)G,yg~~60_57.JPG
$T2eC16F,!)kE9s4Z-TzWBQcc9evcjQ~~60_57.JPG

Hi there, I'm new to the forum but have been collecting for a bit now. You guys seem to be a good resource for this kind of thing, I just picked up this D-1 and am looking for more info on its origins. Looks like it is missing a patch on the left chest just below the words "Smoky Joe", I would like to identify and replace with correct patch. Also, I need to replace pocket zippers and was wondering if they would be Conmar or Talon zippers?(Main zip is a replacement Conmar zipper with original Talon pull) Any Help?

Here's what I know:
Manufacture: Western Lea Co.
Inside marked with paint: 010195320 also initials L.E.W.
B-17 painted on back with bomb runs

I tracked the name "Smoky Joe" to a plane:
Boeing B-17G-85-BO Flying Fortress
s/n 43-38415
391st BS, 34th BG, 8th AF
Flew over 50 missions.

Last edited:

1930artdeco

Practically Family
Hi and welcome. From what you provided it looks like the numbers on the inside are his service number and the 0 makes him an officer. As far as the zipper, of the ones I have seen they have been a Talon. But be careful if you replace it as the leather may be very brittle. Make sure you treat it and if you do be EXTRA careful around the painted portions as the treatment may peel the paint off. And you probably don't want that fine jacket with holes in the paint job.

Mike

mr_lits

A-List Customer
Thanks for the response. I have treated the jacket with Pecards and have been sensitive to the painted areas. The jacket is in remarkably good shape, to call it wearable might be an overstatement though. I have some original talon zipper pulls that I might consider attaching to replacement pocket zips, but I dont even know if I want the hassle or if it would be worth it.

I figured that was the gentlemen's service number but did not know about the "O" as an officers mark. So I'm still sussing out what the 381st Bomb Squadron patch would have been and if the service number matches the initials L.E.W.

Thank for the tips
Rob

mr_lits

A-List Customer
Here is what I found about the D-1 so far:

The squadron painting on right chest is the 401st Bomb Group 8th AAF 615th Squadron.
Sill looking for associations with Smoky Joe and the officers number 010195320 and the initials L.E.W.

I must admit I wore it out a bit today and got compliments at every place I stopped at.

401st%20Bomb%20Group%208th%20AAF%20615th%20Squadron.JPG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR