Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Looking for inspiration for a bespoke bike jacket

Nick in London

New in Town
Here's a BMW jacket from the '70s in the pre-body armour era. Very practical. The light panels are to reflect the sun.

OhImxsD.jpg

hncbFNG.jpg

Nick in London

New in Town
My thoughts are to copy this MM idea of having white on white:

GOp1T3v.jpg

But with a lancer front. No faux sponsors' logos as above. Padding on the shoulders and arms like this:

7HVaghp.jpg

Front and collar like this:

7VpskXg.jpg

I like the back of the MM jacket. I'm trying to come up with my own version.

1FXfq6M.jpg

Interesting. Add some LED lighting, like Vanson did to one of their jackets, and you are set for any spill. I think the Vanson has sensors that detect a fall that makes the LED lights start to rapidly blink, so no one runs over you I suppose.

Edward

Bartender
How bulky is the airbag bit? I've not seen one of those before. Did see an airbag 'vest' for over the jacket, which attaches to the bike with a pull cord (and, presumably, has led to several comedy mishaps with guys getting off the bike and forgetting they're tied to it...).

Nick in London

New in Town
This vid gives you some idea of the bulk

The vests with a tether are great but they take longer to inflate than the ones with accelerometers. If a car pulls out in front of you and your front wheel hits the side of the car, the Tech Air vest has an excellent chance of inflating before your chest hits the car. It can inflate in 45 milliseconds. That's just under 2 feet if your body is flying towards the car at 30 mph. The tethered vests are only partially inflated after 45 ms.

red devil

My Mail is Forwarded Here
You need to have the other vest compatible with the tech air system, not sure how easy it is to switch. I just left mine in its jacket.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24