Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Looking for M-1 Garand: ATT. Reenactors

Bogie1943

Practically Family
Hey fellas, I am in need of an M-1 Garand for reenacting, I have looked around at different places, but I was hoping a fellow reenactor would help me out and cut me a better deal on some in decent condition.

Retro Grouch

One of the Regulars
This is the only "cheap" source I know of for Garands. Garands have become popular in recent years and the price has really gone up..

CMP

Now, if you want to be on the German side, I know of some inexpensive rifles.LOL

Retro Grouch

One of the Regulars
I haven't been too impressed with Auction Arms, lately. Seems to be a lot of retailers trying to sell stuff.

Not sure if they still do it but CMP used to also give a discount on surplus 30.06 to people who bought through them.

I have a friend (who'da thought :rolleyes: ) that picked up an International Harvester Garand. Said it was one of the most "fun" guns he ever shot. Took his first deer with it at about 120 yards.

I'm a big fan of the FN49. Very similar to the Garand.

Is the rifle your looking for just for show or will it also be a shooter?

Tom

up196

A-List Customer
A suggestion . . .

What we, my collector/re-enactor buddies and I, try to do whenever we buy is this. FIRST, get a good reference book, especially with Garands, so you'll know what you're looking at. We carry a virtual library with us to gun shows. SECOND, look for a piece that pre-dates the main impression you have in mind to re-enact. For instance, while an International Harvester (I had one once) and a Harrington & Richardson are fine weapons, they were all manufactured AFTER WWII. An early 1945 dated Springfield or Winchester was never at Normandy on D-Day.

We look first at the serial number, then check to see if it has been re-barrelled or not, then stock and cartouches, all based on our reference books. Smaller parts such as sights, trigger guards, etc., can be found and exchanged later if necessary.

The idea is, you'll have a complete, functioning rifle that could have been used by the unit you're portraying and that you can, as time and money allow, return to the proper configuration that it was issued in, thus increasing its value . . . Tom

Retro Grouch

One of the Regulars
I am not into the re-enactments. I collect what tickles my fancy.....in a manly sort of way. LOL Way back when, I was quite interested in the mountain man rendezvous and how many went for full period authenticity (right down to the fleas :eek: ). It's sometimes hard to find "stock" firearms. CAI does such a good job of messing them up. Then there is the "bubba" factor.

Here are a couple of sites that have a wealth of info on military and C&R weapons.

http://p077.ezboard.com/fparallaxscurioandrelicfirearmsforumsfrm53
http://p084.ezboard.com/fcollectorguns35625frm17

What would an original WWII era Garand run these days? I doubt it would be cheap.

Tom

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grateful Fred