Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Looking for opinions on this ensemble for an informal dinner.

The Wingnut

One Too Many
Thanks for the compliments. I'm going with the sweater untucked but with the bottom knit flipped under to minimize the length.

Any thoughts on the red shirt? Here's a quick photoshop job.

23feb08a.jpg

LolitaHaze

Call Me a Cab
The Wingnut said:
Thanks for the compliments. I'm going with the sweater untucked but with the bottom knit flipped under to minimize the length.

23feb08a.jpg

Not feeling the red...

The Wingnut said:

23feb08a.jpg

Honestly, I would say the previous shirt looked better. When you put it in context, it looks a bit over the top with that outfit but that's just me. I wear only white shirts. ;) :p

metropd

One Too Many
You look good, I like the tucked in sweater-very classic. By the way you describe these people they sound like complete SQUARES!:eek: :eek:

The Wingnut

One Too Many
...I'm sure they're perfectly normal, or not unusual, rather.

I suppose I'm being overly cautious. I'll be making a first impression with a number of single women my age who work in an upscale company and move in very trendy circles in a city known worldwide as being 'progressive', to say the least, so full-on fedora'd and pinstriped vintage is something I'd rather bring into the picture later on, provided the opportunity...or just leave that to a friend and play a contrast to him(he's showing up later in the evening). I'm walking a fine line between not compromising on my tastes and not coming off as eccentric...which I am. :D

Hondo

One Too Many
Gosh how I envy you slim guys, I'm big bone fella, none the less red or the other shirt you look great, wheres your hat? ;)

alphy27 said:
Not bad, not bad at all. I agree with every one else who advise to un-tuck the sweater.

Staredge

One of the Regulars
On the other hand, you've got to worry that your full-on vintage buddy might take up all the female attention and leaving you looking later like you're trying to steal his style!!!!!

I think you're walking the line well though. You've obviously got chops in the style department, so when you pull out the vintage it will be seen as a natural progression. Good hunting!!!!!

Will

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
I say no on the red shirt. The earth tomes work well. The red dras the eye and throws the balance off. And I say sweater tucked in. Firstly, I like he look. Secondly, it looks better than folded under.

I vote yes on the cords. Contemporary yet vintage. You look like a thirties college kid, maybe in England.

I can understand your concern on the impression you make and have a few thoughts. Firstly, if you are an all the time vintage guy, then go vintage. Especially if someone else will be, you can come off as a trend rather than an oddball. If you feel good about yourself, it will show, and any woman too uptight to appreciate it is not worth knowing. My idol is Roberto, because he will wear his vintage anywhere and I have never known anyone to treat him oddly. People love it.

But if you are more of a mixed guy, then maybe you can mix it up and go for a classic look, not necesserily vintage. I tend to go casual or vintage. I don't care for a contemporary classic look. For me it is either vintage or nothing. I do love your look though.

On the one hand, I don't know any other city where oddball behavior and style is not only tolerated but appreciated. In LA it is celebrated, but it alwasy has an air of showiness, not innate eccentricity. But SF has a long history of misfits and oddballs and it is part of what people love about the city. Even the big money tech field has a history of eccentricity in thiought and dress. On the other hand, the money in the computer and tech fields has turned the valley and much of the city into a haven for more uptight wealty people. I watched the city change somewhat and it was depressing. So by those standards, if you want to fit in with certain crowds, well, you know what to do. Have fun though, either way.

ULtimately, if you want a vintage look to fly, you have to bring a whole air and ambiance of glamour and fun to the people you meet. I don't know if I can pull that off, but I know people who do. But beyond that, if yo uwant to wear vintage full on anywhere, do it. Life is too short. On the other hand, your outfit seems fun and perfect for what you have in mind so I say go for it.

ortega76

Practically Family
I agree on sticking with the earth tones. Your look has a timeless quality. All the pieces are classic and are both vintage-y but modern. The cords look great (I love cords) but wool slacks would be fine. Instead of a fedora, I vote for a nice ivy cap or irish cap.

Riley Dee

One of the Regulars
Looking very nice.

I really like your outfit with the collar where it is, with the tucked sweater, and the original colored shirt. You have a great color pallette and a perfect mixture of textures i.e. the cords, sweater pattern, and jacket. It looks very classic.

The only thing I might change is to wear slightly different shoes. I would personally love to see you wear shoes that are not quite as cordovan colored and instead shoes in either brown or a color a little closer to the color of your belt. Otherwise its a Grand Slam outfit IMHO.

Vintage Betty

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I'm a Bay Area woman, so I'm going to give an honest opinion here. And I apologize for my bluntness in advance:

-Ditch the sweater
-Make the belt match the shoes
-Don't wear cords, wear slacks
-Under no uncertain terms should you even consider wearing an ascot or pocket square. It will be professional suicide.

I haven't seen any male wear a diamond or argyle sweater in a professional capacity in years. No one and I mean NO ONE wears ascots here...period. No one wears pocket squares unless you are going to a late night business meeting, are over 50 years old and wearing a pin striped suit and a tie, like a banker.

This is a professional event. Do not leave your shirttails out. That's for younger men who are either richer than you are or care less than you do.

Don't worry about the collar. Do whatever feels natural. Don't wear the red shirt. The only persons I have seen wear those are Italians from Italy working in Silicon Valley or men under 25 who are either trendy or don't care.

If this is an upper end professional event like you describe, than go bland or variations of bland. Think business casual. Cords scream outdoor casual and are not appropriate for a business dinner.

Sorry, but if this is a San Francisco business event like you describe, than you want to project a professional image in the best capacity and I want you to look your best too. [huh]

Vintage Betty

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
The Wingnut said:
I've been invited to a dinner at a friend's house (which is very upscale) and will be for the majority of the evening the only man present with exception to my host. He'll be in a sweater and slacks. This is the ensemble I've put together. I'm hoping it's not excessively casual or formal.

The rest of the guests are professional Bay Area women in their 30s and are, according to my friend, 'not into vintage'. I'm trying to keep to my tastes and still look classy and modern.

hmm I didn't get 'business event' from this....I got 'dinner at friends with people who are professionals' and -women-...

thats the key line there...its not about business..is about his friend, inviting him to meet ladies that are potential dates. ;)

ie if its not a work event, you don't have to dress like it is....

For what its worth, since he is already there eating and being merry.....I liked the original outfit...

Vintage Betty

The Wingnut said:
The rest of the guests are professional Bay Area women in their 30s and are, according to my friend, 'not into vintage'. I'm trying to keep to my tastes and still look classy and modern.

Hmmm....

Miss Neecerie said:
hmm I didn't get 'business event' from this....I got 'dinner at friends with people who are professionals' and -women-...

You might be correct. I assumed that this was a professional event, since he used the phrase "The rest of the guests are professional Bay Area women". If this is actually a social event, ignore everything I just said. :D

Except the belt comment. :eek: :D And the ascot comment too.

Vintage Betty

Mike in Seattle

Ugarte said:
Personally, I like the red. The darker color pulls the outfit together given the rich brown of the pants.

I'm just saying.

Mark

I'd have to agree with Mark - the red makes the outfit "pop" a little more. An ascot would as well as someone else mentioned, with the original shirt, but since you said the other attendees would all be businesswomen in their 30's and not into vintage, I think the ascot would be a little over the top in that situation. But the red shirt - the collar showing is a little color without it being too overwhelming. It jazzes up what could be perceived as a little too monotone.

Miss Crisplock

A-List Customer
I like the red collar, but then that is because it puts a little more interest and draws ones eye to your face.

Frankly, you look fabulous in your avatar....if I were you I'd never wear anything else, and have a pair of blue pinstriped pajamas made to wear to bed, with matching fedora nightcap.

That, however is my opinion and your mileage may vary.

My problem with the outfit is this: too many layers. There is a lot of material between them and you. If this is a social event then I agree with the writer regarding women in their 30's and tactile fabrics.

Please wear silk, cashmere, etc. I'd like to see slacks, a silk shirt OR a sweater, and a jacket that is removed during the evening.

A color that flatters they coloring of your face rather than the coloring of your shoes. You're the star here, not your clothes.

Have a good time!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Skipbarnes