Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Looking for opinions on this ensemble for an informal dinner.

mrswheats

One of the Regulars
Ok, I'm a mid-30's professional woman who appreciates a well-dressed man :D Also, I'm a mid-westerner, and our tastes tend to run to the conservative side here in Ohio. So, here's my advice:

If this is for social purposes, wear what you're comfortable in.

If you can carry a vintage or vintage-inspired look and feel good about, that will come across. If you feel out of place, that will come across, too.

And if they can't handle your style, then so what? If these women aren't "into vintage" now, then they won't be into later, so be yourself and have a ball!

And I agree, your avatar is a fantastic look.

The Wingnut

One Too Many
This is a social event. In saying 'professional', I was describing the other guests. I'm a professional myself, but not on their level.

I've been wearing vintage for about 5 years now, and I've got a reputation...while I have no intention of stopping, there are times when it's over the top and can be seen as an affectation. This is one of the very rare times I'm playing it safe.

The sweater is merino wool, the jacket will likely come off as I get warm, the shirt itself is VERY soft(to the point that it doesn't take starch well!). I was originally going to go with a pair dark brown windowpane wool check trousers, but I like my cords, and they're more casual.

I should point out that while a number of items I'm wearing in that photo are secondhand, none of it qualifies as vintage. The sweater, in fact, I bought at Target on clearance for less than $10 last month.

I'm not so into vintage that I need a potential mate to be into it as well. At this point, I could go either way. I want them more interested in me and not my hobbies or interests...those will come later if they're sold on me. I have other hobbies that are just as significant as my vintage tendency that I would have to require of my dates were I consider being 'into vintage' a necessity.

I feel this is more approachable than a suit and tie. I have plenty of those I can wear at a later date.

Wolfmanjack

Practically Family
I apologize in advance for introducing a dissonant thought here; but it is one that I think is worthy of your consideration.

Clearly this is a very important event for you. Above all, you want to be sure you feel comfortable physically and comfortable socially, i.e., relaxed and confident in the knowledge that you look just right.

IMHO, this is not a time for experimentation with a new, untested ensemble. Rather than putting together a new outfit, wear an old favorite. Wear an ensemble that you know from past experience will work well for you; something that you know will not require any adjustment or checking in a mirror; something you have thoroughly enjoyed wearing and has attracted compliments from others. This outfit may be old and humdrum to you, but it will be new and charming to everyone at the party.

You want to put all of your attention on your new friends and feel absolutely confident and care free about yourself. They sound like very interesting people and I’m sure you will enjoy meeting them.

The Wingnut

One Too Many
God forbid we should make the lovely Miss Haze sad, however...;)

Wolfman, that's not a bad idea. I originally WAS going to wear another sport coat that I've worn often, along with one of my favorite ties, and the aforementioned windowpane trousers. I've been seen in them many times. I reconsidered when I learned more about the dinner and that it was informal, and my normally vintage-attired host was going to be in a sweater and slacks. I'd rather not out-dress the host.

...I'm trying to break out of a box that I've put myself into and try new things. This is a good opportunity. I'm not terribly stressed about it, but I am being careful.

tonypaj

Practically Family
Wolfmanjack said:
I apologize in advance for introducing a dissonant thought here; but it is one that I think is worthy of your consideration.

Clearly this is a very important event for you. Above all, you want to be sure you feel comfortable physically and comfortable socially, i.e., relaxed and confident in the knowledge that you look just right.

IMHO, this is not a time for experimentation with a new, untested ensemble. Rather than putting together a new outfit, wear an old favorite. Wear an ensemble that you know from past experience will work well for you; something that you know will not require any adjustment or checking in a mirror; something you have thoroughly enjoyed wearing and has attracted compliments from others. This outfit may be old and humdrum to you, but it will be new and charming to everyone at the party.

You want to put all of your attention on your new friends and feel absolutely confident and care free about yourself. They sound like very interesting people and I’m sure you will enjoy meeting them.

I agree. Just as you cannot really plan how and who you can impress with your words, you cannot really plan it with your clothes, either, especially outside the office. There are always unintended consequences, sometimes for better, sometimes for worse. It simply makes sense to be yourself.

Dr Doran

My Mail is Forwarded Here
The Wingnut said:
...I'm trying to break out of a box that I've put myself into and try new things. This is a good opportunity. I'm not terribly stressed about it, but I am being careful.

I think you are being entirely sensible and I don't think there'll be much stress.

Staredge

One of the Regulars
LolitaHaze said:
That makes me so happy!! Not that you need to take my happiness into concideration... lol

The happiness of a beautiful woman should ALWAYS be taken into consideration.

My favorite pro cycling team wears argyle. Very distinctive in races.

Will

Staredge

One of the Regulars
Wolfmanjack said:

I dunno. Heck, I feel comfortable just LOOKING at that getup. Makes me wish I had some clothes like that laying around.

Will

The Wingnut

One Too Many
Had a great evening. Cut a perfect middle line through 3 of my friends' attire: One was very casual, the other two were extremely vintage.

I'd say I made quite the impression. One of the ladies was quite taken with me, it's a shame she wasn't my type. I'm sure I'll get good referrals, however. ;) Turns out the one young lady that everyone was hoping to set me up with(I come to find out after the fact) came down with a cold and couldn't attend.

The only change I made was to a pair of brown Italian(Arcado of Milan) wingtips. Gave them a vigorous buffing the night before. They fit in with the rest of the ensemble much better than the Dexters.

Thanks for all of the advice!

Dr Doran

My Mail is Forwarded Here
The Wingnut said:
Had a great evening ....
I'd say I made quite the impression. One of the ladies was quite taken with me, it's a shame she wasn't my type. I'm sure I'll get good referrals, however. ;) ....

That, my good fellow, is exactly what I expected.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Wing: Considering that a camel, as everyone knows, is a horse designed by a committee, I hope you wound up doing what YOU wanted to do. I didn't want to say it beforehand, but I hink you were giving the outfit issue WAY too much thought. Your basic instincts were just fine, and you proved it with the finished product. You wear the clothes, the clothes don't wear you!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou