Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Looking for Opinions/Suggestion on U-Boot Leather Coat

RayR

One of the Regulars
Fantastic!

It's pricey, but I have a Bad Wolf Doctor Who jacket, which is a detailed, faithful copy of the WWII U-Boat jacket. Made to measure.

I bought a black one last year, which I've been wearing everywhere this winter (wearing it now, in fact), and am taking advantage of the pound exchange rate to get a brown one.

http://www.thebadwolf.com/

They're not super fast, but the quality is truly amazing. Worth evey penny! You won't regret saving up and buying quality.

Trog

Finally! That's just what I have been looking for. The photo quality looks spot on. Your glowing review is inspiring. And the page is still active. There is no price mentioned, but there is a live email link, so I sent off an inquiry.

Thanks for this post. :)

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Reviving a 4 year old post, really? The Bad Wolf jacket has also had negative reviews about the place. Be cautious and try to get some more recent information.

RayR

One of the Regulars
Okay, found the order form and pulled the trigger. Original pattern, individually made to tailored measurements, and top quality materials...I can't wait =)

pipvh

Practically Family
Could this sudden re-animation be due to The Day of The Doctor, (the Dr Who 50th anniversary special that went out last weekend, for those without kids/non-Whovians, etc)? John Hurt wears an exceedingly knackered brown Kriegsmarine-style coat to good effect. But there again, John Hurt could probably wear a bin-bag to good effect.

I purchased a Bad Wolf "U-boat" leather jacket a couple of years ago. Sizing was way off, and the leather quality didn't impress me. Returned it for a re-do. When it was done, was notified I was going to be charged something like $150 for the re-do....plus shipping back to the states, which I believe was round $70 a that time.
I told them to just keep the jacket. Didn't even ask for a refund.
The quality of the first jacket they sent me did not impress me, I wasn't about to throw good money after bad on the hope they got the sizing right.
If I had to do it all over again, I would have asked Aero to make me a similar jacket. I contacted them during this episode....they confirmed they could.

Both the first version of the jacket and the re-do took longer than initial time estimates.
Interestingly enough, I happened to be in London at the time the re-do was supposedly done. I sent several emails over a period of weeks to Bad Wolf notifying them I was in the area, and could drop by shop that makes their jackets for a fitting/pick up jacket. Never heard back from them till I was back in the states.
Got me wondering if their jackets are actually made by a "high end London leather jacket maker" as I recall they advertised, or if they were made overseas somewhere.

RayR

One of the Regulars
I purchased a Bad Wolf "U-boat" leather jacket a couple of years ago. Sizing was way off, and the leather quality didn't impress me. Returned it for a re-do. When it was done, was notified I was going to be charged something like $150 for the re-do....plus shipping back to the states, which I believe was round $70 a that time.
I told them to just keep the jacket. Didn't even ask for a refund.
The quality of the first jacket they sent me did not impress me, I wasn't about to throw good money after bad on the hope they got the sizing right.
If I had to do it all over again, I would have asked Aero to make me a similar jacket. I contacted them during this episode....they confirmed they could.

Both the first version of the jacket and the re-do took longer than initial time estimates.
Interestingly enough, I happened to be in London at the time the re-do was supposedly done. I sent several emails over a period of weeks to Bad Wolf notifying them I was in the area, and could drop by shop that makes their jackets for a fitting/pick up jacket. Never heard back from them till I was back in the states.
Got me wondering if their jackets are actually made by a "high end London leather jacket maker" as I recall they advertised, or if they were made overseas somewhere.

I want to follow up on this thread even though I posted some info on another one here. I just got mine yesterday Feb. 24, 2014 and it is Fantastic. It took about 8 weeks. The workmanship is excellent. I have had a lot of leather jackets, many Taylor made, and I know the product. The character of the leather is great. The fit is perfect. Since this was copied from the original, it follows that it is lighter weight. It has to be wearable under studio lights and it has to have that hero "flow" of movement. I could have lived with a slightly heavier (thicker) leather, but I have no complaints with this one. Here are a few pics right out of the box.

Compare to this:

Even the lining is spot on:

RayR

One of the Regulars
It's pricey, but I have a Bad Wolf Doctor Who jacket, which is a detailed, faithful copy of the WWII U-Boat jacket. Made to measure.

I bought a black one last year, which I've been wearing everywhere this winter (wearing it now, in fact), and am taking advantage of the pound exchange rate to get a brown one.

http://www.thebadwolf.com/

They're not super fast, but the quality is truly amazing. Worth evey penny! You won't regret saving up and buying quality.

Trog

Agreed, excellent quality. I counted threads on this and the Wested pic. BW has more per inch. The Black leather has great character, not just smooth & shiny. They advertise getting it in 6 weeks. Mine came to US in 8 with apologies for the delay.

This shot shows the character of the very light weight leather:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Togs