Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Looking for Opinions/Suggestion on U-Boot Leather Coat

lairddouglas

Familiar Face
I am starting to investigate the available Leather U-Boat Coats.

I am leaning toward the Magnoli U-Boat Coat.

I realize grey and black are the standard issue colours of the German Navy. Alas I am not a black leather type. I would like to go brown. Any suggestions from previous clients of Magnoli on their best brown leather.

I am a person of some heft and will be looking for something in a 48. I usually wear heavier aran type sweaters in the eternal winter of the US Midwest.

Thank you for your time and suggestions.

KilroyCD

One Too Many
lairddouglas said:
I am starting to investigate the available Leather U-Boat Coats.

I am leaning toward the Magnoli U-Boat Coat.

I realize grey and black are the standard issue colours of the German Navy. Alas I am not a black leather type. I would like to go brown. Any suggestions from previous clients of Magnoli on their best brown leather.

I am a person of some heft and will be looking for something in a 48. I usually wear heavier aran type sweaters in the eternal winter of the US Midwest.

Thank you for your time and suggestions.
This would be a good topic for our own U-Boat skipper "Prien" to weigh in on. But alas, he's not as active on the Lounge as he used to be. I'll e-mail him to see if he can give you any suggestions.

Trotsky

A-List Customer
Go Magnoli.

I have a Wested XXL Black one and while I love it, IT DOES NOT FIT. Sorry for shouting. Once I get some more cash I want to sell the Wested and buy a Magnoli myself.
The Wested is nice, but like many things I have heard on COW, the lining at the bottom of the sleeve tearing apart. I have worn it hardly at all as well.

Brown is a perfectly acceptable color as well. In fact, a dark brown U-Boat coat would look pretty killer.

PuLpO

Familiar Face
Ive two original U-Boat Coats early German Army Post War Grey.
They are the same as in WW2 Bordjacken.

On Duty they where wear over an dungarees. So That they are short Jackets like an Ike. One is size 44 and the other 48.

JT004-1.jpg

JT001-1.jpg

JT007.jpg

JT002-1.jpg

JT003-1.jpg

JT005-1.jpg

JT008.jpg

Stephan

PuLpO

Familiar Face
Baron Kurtz said:
I suspect the original poster is talking about the DB "U-Boat" coat promoted by various firms. Essentially a beltless barnstormer. Double row of buttons (3), handwarmer pockets.

bk
I think you are right i know this Jacket you mean ex me

lairddouglas

Familiar Face
True I was looking into DB coats.

But when someone pulls out such spectacular examples of vintage WWII military uniforms I can appreciate that effort. I am finding the standard clothing on a UBoat was very varied.

Awesome coats in grey ... alas if I was less robust fellow I might be pursuing acquiring a coat like those ... very unique and trim.

kaosharper1

One Too Many
I have a Magnoli Open Road in dark lamb and its a great color. Goes with everything. The lamb itself is a very soft leather and and fit and finish is great, especially for the price. What a bargain. And he delivered in 2 weeks.

BigHairyFinn

One of the Regulars
Well, I just got my new DrWho jacket back from the shoemaker's. Had to let down the sleeves a bit and get them stitched a bit. It still needs a bit of work to conform, but for GBP 99 I'm a pretty happy camper. I got it from a place called www.hollywoodjackets.co.uk and the only gripes I've had is the stiffness, the smell and the ass who stitched the buttons through the side pocket lining and even there is a counter-hole there isn't a counter-button so I need to do some stitching in any case. But all in all finding my size (50-52) is such a stroke of luck.

Ah, yes, I'll add pics shortly. :p

Troglodyte

Familiar Face
Bad Wolf Jacket

It's pricey, but I have a Bad Wolf Doctor Who jacket, which is a detailed, faithful copy of the WWII U-Boat jacket. Made to measure.

I bought a black one last year, which I've been wearing everywhere this winter (wearing it now, in fact), and am taking advantage of the pound exchange rate to get a brown one.

http://www.thebadwolf.com/

They're not super fast, but the quality is truly amazing. Worth evey penny! You won't regret saving up and buying quality.

Trog

U-Boot-Mantel

Maybe you should try this one:

http://www.x-jeans.de

The maker is located in Germany and probably will ship abroad. You will find the U-Boot-Mantel between the flight jackets.

I have the white "Kanaljacke" and this is quite OK (in fact, I survived a car accident with me on the bike with it the week before last week!).

The qualtity is not so outstanding like Aero or Eastman, but frankly speaking I doubt that the original quality of such pieces issued from the Navy was comparable with the above mentioned back then.

Good Luck!

BigHairyFinn

One of the Regulars
cloudspotter said:
Maybe you should try this one:
http://www.x-jeans.de

They sell on Ebay... was it under "Noble House", a lot of other styles too (Luftwaffes in various styles). Just mind anyone buying check the country/currency as they're not always up to speed with the pound/euro rates. Just been browsing the bay and found "Spearhead Militaria" from Singapore selling a black horsehide u-boat jacket. They seem to be doing other repro stuff such as greatcoats and even the rubberized cloth motorcycle jackets so "autheticity" might be their thing.

Trotsky

A-List Customer
The guy that runs that above website is either flaky as hell or half ways decent. There seems to be no in between from what I have read from German reenactors that have bought from him.
Personally I would stick to one of the vendors talked about on this forum, including Bad Wolf, because they seem an awful lot less likely to flake out like "Commander" Scotty does (yes, that what he calls himself).

Richard Warren

Practically Family
"Trotsky' calling "Commander Scotty" flaky. That would be funny if Trotsky (the historical personage) had not been such a monstrous creature responsible for more death and destruction than one can easily imagine.

JanSolo

Practically Family
The Aero Mariner is a very good choice when you are looking for a jacket with the look and feel of a vintage german U-Boot-Fahrer Jacke. The detail and workmanship is outstanding and you can pick the leather that suits your taste best. What about vintage brown FQ horsehide?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart