Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Looking for "Rain Boots"

South

One of the Regulars
I'm looking for some boots to wear in the rain.

A type I'm considering are similar to what I've seen as "Bean Boots":
230122_2764_41.jpg

I also think these look good, but don't know if they are any good. Sorels:
colum323810_178688_jb.jpg

I also like these. L.L. Bean Bison Boots:
245825_163_41.jpg

Any feedback on any of these?

I would like something with wool lining in it (I think), not too heavy and very waterproof. It will be mainly for walking the dog, so I don't need mountain boots, lugged hiking boots, etc. Just walking on pavement.

On second thought, I don't know that I want insulated ones.

We also don't get snow. Are these things even still in style?

Any other suggestions - I'm all ears.

Thanks for any suggestions.

RP McMurphy

One of the Regulars
Bean Boots

Though I don't have firsthand experience, those LL Bean boots look awesome to me... Plain old classic style, nice color, good for lots of freezing-cold days in the wet.

As far as fashion and style goes... they're timeless. Just today I saw a similar shearling-lined pair in Ralph Lauren. GQ even featured a pair of the Bean boots in a photoshoot for "Maine Winter Style". Whatever. Most important thing is whether they'll keep your feet dry, and I've never heard a bad word against them. Also, bear in mind that anyone who tells you your clothing is out of style when sheets of freezing rain, slush, or snow are pouring down is just plain nuts.

I'd say they're worth a shot, certainly for practicality's sake, the classic styling makes it all the better IMHO

:D

"Skeet" McD

Practically Family
North/South....

Dear South,
Well...up here, "North" as it were...here's my report:

I've worn the original Bean boots (like the ones you show, but without the liner) birdhunting for a decade now (same boots) and in all other wet environments inbetween. They will keep the rain out, without a doubt...if you are walking through puddles that go higher than the rubber, you will need to waterproof the leather now and then, especially at the stitching. The main thing to consider is that these boots have a rubber sole, with no counter....there were meant to be like moccasins, where you could feel the ground under your foot while hunting. This may or may not be what you want: if it's not buy an insole of your preferred stiffness. You may want/need to buy up a size if you think this is what you will do.

I've got a pair of Sorels...they come from REALLY up North, where they know about cold. And wet. I bought mine for pass-shooting Geese in February...where you might be standing in 10° weather, immobile, for hours. If you want insulation....I doubt you could do better. The insulation is essentially a separate boot which fits into the leather boot.

Hope this helps,

"Skeet"

Alexi

One of the Regulars
"You may want/need to buy up a size if you think this is what you will do."

Bean boots/main hunting boots are sized a whole size up due to the fact they expect you to wear a pair of very generous socks with them. But other then that I love mine. Not as old as skeet's but I think this is my 6th winter in them. However I've had a few pair before, at least 20 years all together of use.

the Sorels quality has gone down in my esteem sense Colombia bought them out

how about a pair of Wellies? They were de rigeur on the farm growing up.

rgraham

A-List Customer
Check out Cabela's website and type in rubber boot. Many to choose from, with wide range of prices. There are also some that look like the one's you are asking about that aren't insulated.

article-0-01C559B800000578-431_468x.jpg

LLBean

Why don`t you try the LLBean slip on rubber bottom boots,they are great for around the house,rain,mud etc,they are the same as the old standards but ankle high,no laces...

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
I've got a pair of 10" insulated bean boots, and the 16" maine hunting shoe. They're comfortable, warm, durable and waterproof. My only gripe is I wish they had speed lacers.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran