Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Looking for some education on an eBay jacket please.

jadub

A-List Customer
I’m hoping to tap some of y’all’s experience regarding the nature of this jacket -

https://www.ebay.com/itm/224497436607

Sorry, I can’t seem to get a photo to copy and paste here.

The seller says it was bought at an estate sale alongside some langlitz but I don’t think it’s a langlitz. I only say that because the shoulder padding is stitched differently. It could be custom though. I think the best way to tell is by the way the pockets are made. They’re visible because the lining has been removed. The main zip is a Serval and looks to be in good condition. The pocket pulls are talon. I really like the patina of the leather and it seems to be in good shape. I couldn’t come close to the asking price but if I had more confidence in what I’d be getting I could make an educated offer. Your help, is greatly appreciated.

Kubatu

A-List Customer
Fairly sure it's a Cal Leather 6 panel cafe racer. The back paneling is the biggest indicator of this. Other Cals below.

Price-wise, these have sold for around $250-$400 here, I think? They are fairly uncommon. Given the price the seller listed this at, he'll might look at any offer in that range as a lowball though.

s-l1600.jpg

cal2-jpg.160438

clcr_back-jpg.160361

78a0d51d-6181-42e0-9370-a75e2180d360-jpeg.288993

That’s a really nice jacket. Looks to be the thicker leather rather than the thinner hide more commonly seen in Cal’s CR. The thinner hide is still awesome, but this hide is next level. Older Cal based on the hide, zip and pulls.

Asking price is high when compared to other Cal CR. But many times the seller has no idea it’s a Cal or it is the thinner hide. This seller obviously knows what he has. Is this jacket as “nice” as a Buco CR that goes for this or more. Without question yes. But they can be had for less, for the reasons I said, and some others.

I would pay $500-750 for this jacket. But I love Cal. I really do. Here is mine, with the lighter hide. I paid around $350 if I recall correctly.

7868D3DC-1CD9-4587-BA80-6976F68627B8.jpeg
6DCA3387-036F-4F1C-9E49-C854B77C45CB.jpeg

jadub

A-List Customer
Yes, that’s very similar.

I do like the leather used on the eBay jacket. I seems to have great patina. I’m surprised a jacket could be worth up to $750 without a lining or label though.

Thank you for responding!

Yes, that’s very similar.

I do like the leather used on the eBay jacket. I seems to have great patina. I’m surprised a jacket could be worth up to $750 without a lining or label though.

Thank you for responding!

It’s a thicker, denser teacore-ish leather. I love it. I wish my CR was made of it. $750 is up to what I would pay, but that’s me. Others may not want to pay that much for a Cal. I would not pay that much for a HB, any HB. That said, I do think that would be pretty fair for that particular jacket. If it had the liner even more fair imo.

Many Cals, if not most, do not have labels. Then a decent amount have other labels in them. Finding a vintage Cal with the Cal label in it is always nice. The result is that many sellers do not know it’s a Cal they are trying to offload.

I’ve owned a few Cals. One had a Louis the Tailor label and one has the first Cal label. All others did not have a label.

A Cal CR w/o lining is not uncommon.

Cals are great. I totally recommend.

It’s a thicker, denser teacore-ish leather. I love it. I wish my CR was made of it. $750 is up to what I would pay, but that’s me. Others may not want to pay that much for a Cal. I would not pay that much for a HB, any HB. That said, I do think that would be pretty fair for that particular jacket. If it had the liner even more fair imo.

Many Cals, if not most, do not have labels. Then a decent amount have other labels in them. Finding a vintage Cal with the Cal label in it is always nice. The result is that many sellers do not know it’s a Cal they are trying to offload.

I’ve owned a few Cals. One had a Louis the Tailor label and one has the first Cal label. All others did not have a label.

A Cal CR w/o lining is not uncommon.

Cals are great. I totally recommend.

Agreed on all point.

An armored Cal like this, one that's true vintage... I personally would list it at $800-$900 and sell for $700 but at the same time, I totally understand why someone'd be asking a grand for one. These jackets are super rare & they're levels above most other vtg brands when it comes to quality & pattern. But at the same time, there's always a chance you'll stumble upon one being listed for like $50 as they never have a label and most people don't have a clue if the jacket ain't got BUCO plastered all over it so...

Auctions like this... It all depends how badly you want this jacket. I don't think buying it would be a waste of money. Sure, you could wait but there's no telling how soon another one like it is going to manifest so you've got to ask yourself one question: 'Do I feel lucky?'.

jonbuilder

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Fairly sure it's a Cal Leather 6 panel cafe racer. The back paneling is the biggest indicator of this. Other Cals below.

Price-wise, these have sold for around $250-$400 here, I think? They are fairly uncommon. Given the price the seller listed this at, he'll might look at any offer in that range as a lowball though.

s-l1600.jpg

cal2-jpg.160438

clcr_back-jpg.160361

78a0d51d-6181-42e0-9370-a75e2180d360-jpeg.288993
Just to add to what Jmax said I recently pay $600 for mine and was prepared to go higher like into the $750 range. Mine did not have a Cal label which is common with Cals. They are recognizable enough without labels

jadub

A-List Customer
This has gone in a direction I was hoping it wouldn’t. I don’t have the funds for a $750 purchase right now. The seller did send out an offer of $800 so he’s willing to negotiate to that point at least if anyone else is interested. I’d love to see a fit pic with its new owner.

This has NOW gone in a direction I hoped it wouldn’t. He will go lower I bet. I just pinged him for a pic of the chest measurement. I think it will be just a tad too small. Then when I add the liner…

I’ve had some CALS, many members here have purchased and own them now (and I’ve purchased some here from others myself). They are really great jackets. For me personally, I don’t place value in the CR’s over say, Bates (which sell for less, are more common, but are equally well built).

The cross zips are another story. Those can be truly unmatchable. But they can also be fairly run of the mill. When you get a “good” Cal….there’s no mistaking (or replacing) it.

jadub

A-List Customer
I had a langlitz Columbia as my first nice jacket and still miss it. I haven’t seen it for a while but based on memory I’d say I liked it more than I like my current Aero HWM or the Simmons Bilt I have now. I don’t ride any more and sold the Langlitz when I sold my last bike.

Have to admit it makes my chest a little tight to have to pass on this jacket. Any guesses on the P2P? Do the older jackets tend to run narrow P2P? I also couldn’t figure out the actual length based on the way he was measuring. I’m interested to hear what Jmax finds out.

jadub

A-List Customer
Agreed. I always think “sausages” when it’s done in strips. I’ve never seen one on a person though.

I’ve had some CALS, many members here have purchased and own them now (and I’ve purchased some here from others myself). They are really great jackets. For me personally, I don’t place value in the CR’s over say, Bates (which sell for less, are more common, but are equally well built).

The cross zips are another story. Those can be truly unmatchable. But they can also be fairly run of the mill. When you get a “good” Cal….there’s no mistaking (or replacing) it.

That is so true. I feel bad when people tell me their Cal is dull or the leather thin. Or they say something like “this is what all the hubbub is about?!?” I think to myself, damn, they didn’t get a special one. I try to explain but it doesn’t always register. I don’t blame them. What they have in hand is what they have in hand. I’m just a crazy dude, a fanatic at that point. I just gotta add that I do like all Cals, even the mutts. But the special ones are amazing.

Kubatu

A-List Customer
I had a langlitz Columbia as my first nice jacket and still miss it. I haven’t seen it for a while but based on memory I’d say I liked it more than I like my current Aero HWM or the Simmons Bilt I have now. I don’t ride any more and sold the Langlitz when I sold my last bike.

Have to admit it makes my chest a little tight to have to pass on this jacket. Any guesses on the P2P? Do the older jackets tend to run narrow P2P? I also couldn’t figure out the actual length based on the way he was measuring. I’m interested to hear what Jmax finds out.

Like Jmax said, the seller will probably go lower. Maybe not right away, and it depends on how motivated they are to sell, but I really would be surprised if this sold even at $800. The only thing justifying a price that high is the scarcity of this jacket style. Search “Cal Leather Cafe Racer” on eBay and you only get one sold listing - all the way back in April, I think. But it sold for $250. Broken zipper and a small size (though not drastically small), of course, but that’s one example to point to.

Its something that collectors have to factor in, the scarcity of a particular style, but if you’re just looking for a vintage cafe racer with a nice patina and hide, there should be a fair amount of options to choose from without breaking the bank.

That’s just my $0.02 as someone who has never handled a Cal CR, to be clear. I’m also a bit of frugal person, and being able to point to various past classified listings where this sold for sub-$400 consistently would be enough to convince me that the price is too high. Even if I love a jacket, if it’s not a good value, I don’t get it. Which… is not easy to do when it comes to some awesome looking jackets, haha.

jadub

A-List Customer
Thank you for the input Kubatu. I have to say I love a good price on a good product as well. I don’t mind paying a little more if I really like what I’m getting but right now frugal is the name of the game. I find it makes the hunt more intense anyway. I check every day for something I can pull the trigger on and will put things on my watch list only to delete them a couple of days later. This one has stuck around so I thought I would enquire here to help me work through the urge or help me justify a $450 offer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ThomW