Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Looking for vintage-styled patterned sweaters for under $50

Retro Spectator

Practically Family
I have been looking for patterned sweaters of under $50 lately, but I cannot seem to find any with the pattern on the back or the sleeves, except this one, which has a crew neck, and this one which is a vest. Do you think a thrift store may be selling a patterned sweater?

Are you supposed to wear suspenders over a sweater if it is tucked in to your pants, or do you switch to a belt?

Flat Foot Floey

My Mail is Forwarded Here
The second pattern of the dockers vest looks nice. Tuck them in or wear them with a belt. Both ways are period correct. The vintage wild patterned sweater thread has enough examples, how they were worn and combined.

For your price point I would try H&M where I bough faux isle sweaters and shawl collars in both wool or cotton. They have some acrylics too which I would avoid (they make you sweat). For a higher price point (or ebay) there is Ralph Lauren and J.Crew.

Methuselah

One of the Regulars
The 2nd link is much nicer - the clue is in the title for the Dockers shirt "Ugly Christmas Sweater" (I'd agree with that statement)
Do you have TK Maxx in the US? If so, that's where I get that sort of thing. I recently got a Ralph Lauren one for £30 ($48), and other brands are £15-£25.

Retro Spectator

Practically Family
We don't have TK-Maxx, but we do have the American version, TJ-Maxx. I get my shirts there. However, I do not recall seeing any sweaters. I suppose next time I go there, I should check.

Retro Spectator

Practically Family
I found one I like. The fourth pattern that this sweater comes in looks pretty nice in my opinion. I still cannot seem to find one in long sleeves, but that doesn't really matter.

Papperskatt

Practically Family

DharmaBum

One of the Regulars
Check out this shawl collar cardigan offered by What Price Glory. Not too far above your price point at $75.00. I own one and am very pleased with the quality and fabrics.....especially given the price and unique look. I get many compliments on this sweater and it pairs well with a quality 5-dart flat cap!

http://onlinemilitaria.com/shopexd.asp?id=4992

Retro Spectator

Practically Family
I wound up buying this Dockers sweater vest in Otter. I will probably tuck it in with a belt. Although the acrylic can't breath well, I feel that that may be a blessing in disguise, since it is, after all, a vest, and the extra warmth will make up for the lack of warmth in the arms.

Flat Foot Floey

My Mail is Forwarded Here
The pattern is good but 100% acrylic really doesn't have any benefits whatsoever. The h&m sweaters have better materials and aren't much more expensive. RL sweaters from ebay are even a better value.

Retro Spectator

Practically Family
My new sweater came today. However, they sent the wrong color. That doesn't really matter though, since I like this one better. I will probably buy the other color in the future though.
qWdFnle.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner