Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Looking For....

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
I'm looking for a brim flange for up to 2 3/4. I could also use a 7 1/4 hat block as well. Something straight sided. Also could use some more ribbon of vintage quality. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks everyone.

T Jones

Rabbit

Call Me a Cab
I have some vintage grosgrain ribbon in the quality that custom hatters use, a mix of cotton and cellulose-based rayon, with the right amount of shine and enough softness to mold to the crown shape.
I'm in Germany, so it would take maybe a couple of weeks for the letter to arrive. I can ship a small amount, maybe 2 yards, in a flat envelope for $2, or any amount in a box for $4. The latter method will ensure that the ribbon is not creased during transit. Tracking service can be added for $2.15

Price of ribbon: $5 per yard.

PM me if you want some of it, I'll then check how many yards are left.

16 ligne = 1.5"
19 ligne = 1.75"
22 ligne = 2"
(approximately)

List of ribbons and widths:
12, 16, 19 and 24 ligne black (none in 22 ligne, I'm afraid) - no pics needed, I guess
19 ligne forest green
19 ligne moss green
19 ligne steel
22 ligne charcoal
19 ligne mission brown
22 ligne charcoal brown
19 ligne silver

See below for pics of all of these

19 ligne steel:

hh2hSZx.jpg

22 ligne charcoal with the slightest greenish undertone, a wonderful color:

hpjbHsA.jpg

19 ligne mission brown, a darker brown, fairly normal, meaning a warm brown with no rust/orange/red undertones:

04jT04k.jpg

22 ligne charcoal brown, a dark brown with slight charcoal undertone, meaning a slightly cooler brown:

nHz1gdR.jpg

direct comparison on a late 40s OR 25 - charcoal brown atop mission, steel (L) & charcoal (R):

AMoCbe4.jpg

19 ligne silver:

ch5Z7bI.jpg

Forest green and moss green, both 19 ligne:

(Color rendition is pretty accurate)

Forest is in the lower part of the long box, moss is just above. The forest is a very nice ribbon quality and a great color, perfectly subtle enough for men's hats. The moss is not the best, it has too much sheen and the grosgrain edge is a little too conspicuous for my taste although I can see hat designs where one would actually prefer it. It's possible that this ribbon has silk in it; the sheen and the floppy softness seem to indicate it. I haven't made a burn test, though. Rayon has a different sheen, and this ribbon although o.k. for a man's hat is not ideal.
The other green ribbon in the photo, north of the other two, is a Petersham in a medium green.

Incidentally, the grey cutoff pieces north of the greens are the steel atop the charcoal, showing the differences in colors very well. There are also some colorful ribbons in the box which I haven't mentioned here.

rTdKlFd.jpg

Last edited:

Rabbit

Call Me a Cab
I bought it from a retired small town hatter in the States, I forget where.

Anyone else who's interested, just PM me while this thread is still bumped up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21