Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

loop for pocket watch chain

dnjan

One Too Many
I normally wear my pocket watch in my right pants pocket, with the chain attached to the nearest belt loop.
Since I don't wear belts (always suspenders with waistcoat), I was thinking that there was no point in having belt loops put on the next pair of pants I have made - except to have something to attach my watch chain to.

So, I was wondering if anyone has encountered a loop attached to the pants above the pocket, for attaching a watch chain to.
I can't believe that nobody has ever thought of this before, and I would rather copy a successful design than trying to come up with one on my own.

Thanks,

dnjan

One Too Many
Do you happen to have a photo?

On the few occasions I wear the pocketwatch on my waistcoat, I use a T-bar chain. My normal chain has a metal (spring-loaded) clasp.

Thanks,

dnjan

One Too Many
I had thought of just fastening the clasp around one of the suspender leathers, but I like the metal ring idea better.

thanks!

Flat Foot Floey

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Do you happen to have a photo?
No, I just thought it might work. Or do you mean of trousers with pocket flaps on the watch pockets in general? I don't have them either but there are a few in the suits sub forum (british suit thread for example). Try google to find them.

IMG_0505_zps0599ab87.jpg

L1040215.jpg

sdc17024.jpg

HepworthsCC41-6.jpg

Feraud

Bartender
Since I don't wear belts (always suspenders with waistcoat), I was thinking that there was no point in having belt loops put on the next pair of pants I have made - except to have something to attach my watch chain to.
How about having one loop added to the waistband for the watch chain?

dnjan

One Too Many
How about having one loop added to the waistband for the watch chain?
That is kind of what I was originally thinking, but was wondering if anyone had something along that line that:
1) worked, and
2) they could post a photo of.

dnjan

One Too Many
No, I just thought it might work. Or do you mean of trousers with pocket flaps on the watch pockets in general? I don't have them either but there are a few in the suits sub forum (british suit thread for example). Try google to find them.

IMG_0505_zps0599ab87.jpg
Is that a buttonhole for a T-bar end of a watch chain?
(making sure that I am seeing what I think I am seeing)

kiwilrdg

A-List Customer
Another option would be to use a leather fob and a fob charm that hangs loose. You would need to hold on when you take the watch out but you may find you hold your watch tighter than you thought anyway.

Flat Foot Floey

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Yeah. There is no extra buttonhole. I just thought you could use the normal buttonhole on the flap for the chaint too? Or wear a waistcoat^^

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
If you wear a waistcoat, why not buy an Albert chain and wear the watch in your waistcoat pocket with the chain through your middle waistcoat button? It's easier.

Edward

Bartender
I had thought of just fastening the clasp around one of the suspender leathers,

I keep my office / housekeys on a chain, and this is what I do when wearing braces with trousers that lack beltloops. It doesn't always work as well as would be ideal, but it's better than nothing. Eventually, when I can afford to have some tailored, I'll have a single loop put on for this express purpose. Somewhre I have a pair of Summer trousers (HBT, off-white shade, apparently a repro of Wehrmacht trews of some sort, from the Barry Lyndon / Spearhead Militia shop on eBay) that have a watch pocket with a small, horizontal loop above it that seems to work well, though if you're going bespoke I think the button hole approach shown above would be a really nice option for a watch chain t-bar. A loop of course may be better for you if your watch chain is of the clip-type rather than a t-bar.

dnjan

One Too Many
If you wear a waistcoat, why not buy an Albert chain and wear the watch in your waistcoat pocket with the chain through your middle waistcoat button? It's easier.

I have an Albert chain, and wear it for semi-formal occasions. But to me, it crosses the line into "costume" for daily wear.

jskeen

One of the Regulars
I tend to agree, a full Albert chain is a bit ostentatious for daily wear. I have seen small flat metal clips, almost like a narrower version of a money clip attached to the end of watch chains, and simply slipped over the top of the waistband (or over a belt, if you wear one) somewhere in front of the watch pocket, but I'm not sure if that's a vintage item or a more modern approach. My Dad has me on the lookout for one for him, but in a larger version that will fit over his western belt. Haven't happened across one yet though.

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
I have an Albert chain, and wear it for semi-formal occasions. But to me, it crosses the line into "costume" for daily wear.

It's only costume if you think it is. I do it all the time. I only wear my watch in my trouser watch-pocket if it's too hot to wear a waistcoat.

It's a mindset, really.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24