Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Loosing the curl

Photobud

New in Town
I've started setting my hair using Lottabody after many reccomendations on here, and it gives my hair great shine and curl, but I find that at the end of the day the curls have mostly fallen out of my hair and whatever curl is left doesn't last the night. By morning i need to set it again. So, what products can I use? I haven't been using hairspray, because I'm concerned about aerosols because of the ozone damage and whatnot. Should I add gel to my hair when doing a wet set? What can I do to save my curls so they're still there the next day? Any help would be much appreciated.

Fleur De Guerre

Call Me a Cab
Well the first thing to mention is that aerosols haven't been damaging to the ozone layer since CFCs were banned in the 80s. So you can use hairsprays without any concerns in that department.

The only failsafe method I've found of keeping my curls in after 24 hours is by having my hair permed :) but others may have more suggestions. I'd give the hairspray a whirl though! :)

Land-O-LakesGal

Practically Family
Photobud said:
I've started setting my hair using Lottabody after many reccomendations on here, and it gives my hair great shine and curl, but I find that at the end of the day the curls have mostly fallen out of my hair and whatever curl is left doesn't last the night. By morning i need to set it again. So, what products can I use? I haven't been using hairspray, because I'm concerned about aerosols because of the ozone damage and whatnot. Should I add gel to my hair when doing a wet set? What can I do to save my curls so they're still there the next day? Any help would be much appreciated.

I am not sure if I am 100% sold on the lotta body. I have it in right now as I sit under the hair drying catching up on the lounge but I have noticed my curls used to have more holding power. Also I noticed if I just do the dryer and take out the curls they will fall pretty quickly so I sit under my salon dryer, then sleep on em for the night. Its not supposed to be humid tommorow and we are going to a car show so hopefully I will have some luck with staying power.

Try this before bed
1. try repining front dry
2. Wrap the back in a scarf

I had longer hair and probably more damaged hair before and then I got a middy cut and well is stayed longer before I kinda think it was the damaged hair that held better but this is just a guess.

Kiri

One of the Regulars
I just set mine every night in 4 big pin curls on each side. It gives it a nice wavy curl and doesn't take as long. I do use hairspray, however it does last to the next day usually, I just prefer to do it fresh every night.

Smuterella

One Too Many
I do one proper wet set a week and then each night I roughly reset it on just a few sponge rollers, dry (one in the fringe, one each side and 4 or so in back). I find this really helps and now I can often get my main set to last 5-6 days.

Miss sofia

One Too Many
I do the same as Smuterella pretty much, my hair doesn't hold curl very well, so i just chuck in some sponge rollers before bed, then get the heated rollers out in the morning if i have any sections that need attention. I do use lots of hairspray though, i try and be sensible with aerosol products, but Elnett is my best friend and that's not going to change anytime soon!

Marla

A-List Customer
Don't forget to put up your hair in some way before bed! Tie a silk scarf Rosie-style around your head, wear a hairnet or a sleeping cap, or secure the (dry) curl to your head with pins (like pin curling but with dry hair). We move around more than we think while sleeping, so your curls will get pretty mangled if you don't take precautionary measures. :)

D

Deleted member 12480

have to agree with that! Since bundling my hair up into a hairnet, my set has lasted a heck of a lot longer, and is a lot less frizzy, because i don't have to brush all the tangles out. :)

Kiri

One of the Regulars
Oh yes, I always tie mine up in a Rosie type scarf so everything doesn't get all mussed while I'm sleeping.

Octavia

Familiar Face
I used to use Lottabody but it actually made my curls more coarse? Strange, as I've heard from some people that it helps smooth theirs. If it did make the curls hold better, I couldn't tell the difference. I just stopped using any product at all when I set my hair, as I get smoother results that way. My set lasts 5 days by just re-setting it every night and wearing a satin cap to bed. I do roughly between 10-20 individual pincurls - takes about 10-15 minutes for me. Keep in mind when re-setting for the night - it really doesn't have to be perfect. Just pop those curls up and done. You can do bigger, chunkier ones to save time. I can usually fix any mistakes I've made when I take them out and style the next morning.

MirandaFern

Familiar Face
Tatum said:
I use a satin cap from Sally's. It looks silly, like a muffin cap, but makes life so much easier.

I have one of those. They do look rather ridiculous. I find I have to stick a folded bit of tissue underneath the elastic, or I have a line around my face in the morning.

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
LottaBody doesn't work for everybody. It does nothing for my hair. I use Paul Mitchel Super Sculpt. It generally lasts all day but in order for the curl to last overnight, I usually either roll it up dry or at least do some large pincurls.

Tatum

Practically Family
MirandaFern said:
I have one of those. They do look rather ridiculous. I find I have to stick a folded bit of tissue underneath the elastic, or I have a line around my face in the morning.

Great idea with the tissue, I ALWAYS have lines! Hubby laughs at them :)

Edited to add:
I just thought of something. Pin curls are NOT working for me lately; could it be the length? Pillow rollers are my new best friend now. Sorry for the hijack!

Smuterella

One Too Many
I actually place my hairnet behind or on the first row of pincurls / rollers to avoid the line across forehead.

MirandaFern

Familiar Face
Smuterella said:
I actually place my hairnet behind or on the first row of pincurls / rollers to avoid the line across forehead.

I tried that too. Apparently I'm a very active sleeper, because the curlers would work their way free by morning.

Octavia

Familiar Face
My satin cap has a stretchy band of fabric instead of an elastic around the edges. I find it leaves no mark on my face, is a lot comfier, and it doesn't stretch out over time (all the elastic ones I'd gotten broke and became too loose). I can't remember the brand, but it only seems to come in black and I got it from Walgreens

Black Dahlia

Call Me a Cab
This is sort of off topic..but related. What pomades do you use? Those that either have naturally curly hair, or who set their hair in curls. I've tried every product on the market practically re taming the frizz, yet keeping the curl: sprays, anti-frizz serums, etc. Would pomade help?

X
BD

PS if there is a thread on this..let me know! I can't find one.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxraff