Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Los Angeles and Orange County areas: Free Portrait of YOU in Vintage!

Who Oughta Be in Pictures?

• Mr. Lucky

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Short Clara

• FedoraGent

• sweetfrancaise

• Rondo Hatton

• Total voters

MrNewportCustom

Call Me a Cab
Yes, FREE! No charge! Gratis! You vill pay nussing!

I may be proving myself to be
Box-O-Rocks.jpg
, but this is something really want to do!

Here's why I'm doing this: If you came here from the Show us your Thrift and/or yard sale finds thread, then you know that I recently purchased a professional medium format camera that I've wanted for a long, long time, and I want to get to know it intimately. So, I'm making this offer to anyone in the Los Angeles or Orange County area.

Here's what I do: I bring my (somewhat vintage) camera, two rolls of 12 exposure film, tripod, vintage self, etc., and generally do the photographer thing. Photos will be taken outdoors only, unless there's a nicely lit window we can use, because I do not have a strobe system (yet: give me a year or so!)

Here's what you do: Bring your favorite vintage clothes, accessories, props, choice of location, vintage anyone or anything you want to be photographed with (spouse, friend, family, your gardener; vintage cars, hats, parasols, luggage, locomotives, etc.) and an extra friend to help me with the reflector and to move the locomotive I just know you're going to bring with you . . . those things are heavy!

When the film has been processed, you will receive prints and a CD ROM of every picture taken with the vintage camera (and a disc of any production shots I may take with my point-and-shoot digital), so that you can post them to the Fedora Lounge as early and as often as you wish - also at no charge. But there is one caveat: I get to post the first picture (my choice) to the Fedora Lounge. This will probably happen before you even know they're ready. :p

If you haven't already, or you don't believe me and just want to see if I really am (or at least was) a photographer, please visit the Share Your Own Art here thread. This link will take you to page seven; scroll down a bit to see some of my past work. And I mean way, way, way past work, as I haven't done any people photography in almost fifteen years, and I want to get back into it.

Now, how do you get these pictures? Honestly, I don't know! You tell me! Post a response to this thread, a small essay - say, twenty-five to fifty words (or more - use other side of this thread if needed) - telling me and everyone else why you should be in pictures and where those pictures should be taken and with what props. Next weekend, if I've figured out how, I'll add a poll so that people can vote for who they'd most like to see new pictures of, based on your essays. . . . Or if they think you're cute. ;)

Yes, you may vote for yourself. No, I won't vote.

Lee

I've changed my mind: you may not bring your locomotive!

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Lee, why not...(a little suggestion)

Bring it with you to the Queen Mary and set up there ;) Can you just imagine some of the fantastic shots you're likely to get? :eusa_clap Anyway, just an idea. But what a lovely offer from you.

MrNewportCustom

Call Me a Cab
Paddy. That's a fantastic idea and I'd love to! Believe me, I've thought of that. But, alas, I'm not attending this year. :( I also don't have nearly the equipment I'll need to set up a photo booth. Although, hopefully, I'll be ready and able next year. :)

Not enough words, Mr. Lucky. lol

If anyone has any questions, feel free to ask. If they're not too personal, I'll answer. ;)

Lee

Snookie

Practically Family
quick question: if anyone's interested in locations, do you think it'd be necessary to get a permit first? It's okay to to take snapshots nearly everywhere, but would a shoot like you're talking about require a permit? What do you think?

MrNewportCustom

Call Me a Cab
Thank you for bringing this to my attention, Snookie, that's a very good question, and one I should have thought about. What's truly mystifying is that I could take a professional camera pretty much anywhere (outdoors), set it on a tripod and shoot the scenery until my heart overflows with the surrounding beauty or I cough up a lung because of the filth. But if I break out a reflector and put people in the picture, suddenly it's a photo shoot.

Here's what I'm thinking: If anyone of you has a location in mind, and you think a permit may be required, please call and ask. If a permit is required, ask how much, how far in advance, and where does one go to get it. If they have an online source, definitely get that. PM me with the information, and I'll take it from there, because it's the photographer who has to get the permit - he's the one they hold responsible.

In the meantime, I'm going online to research permits and other photo-related laws.

Thank you again, Snookie. :)

Lee

EDIT: I found this site: Still Photography and Permits On US and California Public Land. For all intents and purposes, what we'll be doing does not require a permit. These photos will not be for sale nor will they be for advertisement or promotion of a product or service.

At most, these pictures would be considered "Low-impact commercial photography." But, since all I'll be doing is taking pictures of friends wearing their vintage clothing, our activities would be considered "non-commercial photography."

zaika

One Too Many
that sounds like a lot of fun!! too bad i don't live in CA, otherwise i'd take you up on the offer...even at the risk of breaking your poor camera's lens!! lol lol

ShortClara

One Too Many
I've had many headshots taken in LA and we've never gotten a permit. Just take your camera and go! If you were filming, then that's a different story.

ShortClara

One Too Many
MrNewportCustom,

I am interested in your offer, but I would likely want any such shoot to possibly be used by me for acting purposes (as well as just for fun!) if we got the right shot. How do you feel about that?

Cheers!

MrNewportCustom

Call Me a Cab
The photos are for any use you wish. The purpose and style of the photos will be worked out later. I used to do fashion (and like you, I've never needed a permit) and have done shots for a couple of actors as well.

I kind of got lucky the one time I ran into any trouble. Mid '80s: I had a model and found a Delorean that I wanted in the photos with her. The owner was more than happy to help me. Anyway, he pulled the car onto the grass at a local park. When the park maintenance man came by, the said he'd take care of it. He came back a few moments later and and said everything was fine. I asked him what he'd done and he told me that he just showed the guy his badge. He was an LAPD motor officer. (Later, on two occasions, I duplicated some x-rays for him for insurance purposes.)

Lee

sweetfrancaise

Practically Family
I'm sold...problem is, now I need to sell myself to you, and don't take that for more than was intended! lol .

With digital cameras and the pleasure of instant memory, it's become easier to take pictures instead of enjoying the moment. I would like to see real photos, ones that mean something and aren't so easy to thrown away. What you're doing with your camera is art, and I'd be honored to be part of it.

That said, it'd be lovely to take photos on Olvera Street or Union Station--so much detail to capture and enhance.

MrNewportCustom

Call Me a Cab
I don't wish to make anything sound bad (worse?) Sweet, but you need to sell yourself to the people responding to the poll I'll set up tomorrow night. :D

I'll include everyone who responded (You got lucky, Mr. Lucky. lol), but I'm not sure if Snookie signed on. Paddy? Hmm! I know it'd be a commute for you, but are you in? ;)

Lee

Henri Cartier-Bresson

Hey Stieglitz - Count me in. Let's talk. Barnsdall Hill? Public domain? FLLW?
Other permit-free (probably, but who cares for educational porposes?) locations with suitable vintage backdrop value oughta come to mind. There is a lovely pylon building on the south side of hollywood blvd. just west of Western Ave... Griffith Park Observatory? Tam O'Shanter exterior? Musso Franks exterior? The restored streamline moderne Hollywood Bowl entrance?

pigeon toe

One Too Many
I cannot believe you have a Hasselblad! I am so jealous! I would kill for one of those. Do NOT give that puppy up, it's worth hundreds (thousands even), as I'm sure you know.

I do a lot of medium format photography myself (I have a Mamiya 300C TLR) and am an art student. I would love to have my picture taken, but I'm very nervous when I'm in front of the camera -- I'm so used to being behind it! Plus, I'm not very photogenic.

Too bad you're not going to the QM! I would have loved to talk photo nerdiness with you.

MrNewportCustom

Call Me a Cab
pigeon toe said:
I cannot believe you have a Hasselblad! I am so jealous! I would kill for one of those. Do NOT give that puppy up, it's worth hundreds (thousands even), as I'm sure you know.

I do a lot of medium format photography myself (I have a Mamiya 300C TLR) and am an art student. I would love to have my picture taken, but I'm very nervous when I'm in front of the camera -- I'm so used to being behind it! Plus, I'm not very photogenic.

Too bad you're not going to the QM! I would have loved to talk photo nerdiness with you.

I must've had a good day the day I found it in that pawn shop, and actually had the cash in savings to not only purchase but to have it repaired. I've wanted one for as many years as you've been alive, so don't worry, I have no intention of giving it up. ;)

Photo nerdiness is fun! :)
I wish I was going to the QM. Next year! :)

A.R. McVintage said:
What's the filmstock, b&w, Kodachrome, etc?

400 ASA Kodak Porta color print and 400 ASA Kodak T-Max black and white print.

Okay, I need to know for sure who wants to be on the poll. I'll push it back one day, to Sunday, Nov. 12, late night. Then a week of voting.

Of these I'm certain: Mr. Lucky, Short Clara, Fedora Gent, sweetfrancaise and Rondo Hatton. You five will be on the poll. Snookie, pigeont toe, and A. R. Are you in, too? Please let me know.

Lee

A.R. McVintage

MrNewportCustom said:
400 ASA Kodak Porta color print and 400 ASA Kodak T-Max black and white print.

Okay, I need to know for sure who wants to be on the poll. I'll push it back one day, to Sunday, Nov. 12, late night. Then a week of voting.

Of these I'm certain: Mr. Lucky, Short Clara, Fedora Gent, sweetfrancaise and Rondo Hatton. You five will be on the poll. Snookie, pigeont toe, and A. R. Are you in, too? Please let me know.

Lee

I'm kinda new, and more into mid-century than the thirties/forties (though I still heartily enjoy those eras), so I don't think I'll try to take away from a more established member getting a nifty photo taken.:)

I was more or less looking to get a few photos of my momma and I done in that lovely Kodachrome/Douglas Sirk Technicolor look of the fifties after we looked at some old slides of her and her parents circa 1959-1960.

MrNewportCustom

Call Me a Cab
The poll is now active! I've tossed five hats into the ring, so it's time for our contestants to go knocking on posts and PMs and get the votes!

Best of luck to all who've entered, and I look forward to the fun I'll have taking pictures of whoever wins. :)

(I only entered the names of those who actually said they'd like pictures. Voting ends when I announce the winner on Sunday, November 18.)

Lee

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot