Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Lost Worlds’ founder Stuart interviewed

red devil

My Mail is Forwarded Here
The problem with lost worlds is the world of jacket making has moved on but like his dated website he has not.
In all fairness they are well made quality jackets but things are not the same now as back then when most of us wanted the heaviest weight horsehide we could get. I get that some want MC jackets in particular that are heavyweight but I will confine myself to flight jackets.

You can buy a capeskin A-1 from headwind for $ 650
You can buy a Platon Dubow for $532
And you would have spent $43 less the buying the less authentic Lost Worlds Dubow or A-1 both of which are $1225

I don't know much about flight jackets, but nobody builds such sturdy jackets with this level of construction. And that's part of the appeal. I could go on about the other qualities as well.
Also, if it comes to the Buco J31 for an example I looked into, they were built so haphazardly with widely differing details that authenticity is a moot point.

Not sure how strict they were with compliance to military contract though.

Ok. I thought that was an English expression.

Seems, I am not the only one who got confused :)
It is an english expression literally translated to French... there is no such expression in french

jonbuilder

Lions and tigers and bears are pretty scary but nothing on land compares to this insta-death stuff the oceans have.

Mine too. I was obsessed with that book for a good year after I re-read it. They give us all this stuff to read at school when we know nothing about anything or at least I personally was an idiot who didn't know nothing about life, which is what the book is about (don't mean it's an allegory or nothing, just that it's about how things turn out) so of course I didn't get it. Then I read it again later and man, what a beautiful thing it is...

Same as when I couldn't even finish reading Anna Karenina in school because I thought it's freaking boring with all the grownup stuff happening and then later on it became my favorite book in the world. Coincidentally, at the time I decided to read the book again which happened by mere accident, I had my own Anna thing going in life on so the timing couldn't have been any better. Or worse. Either way, it was nice.
Hemingway was a pioneer with his short simple sentence-style he developed writing about his life experiences. Unfortunately, was quite the chad who finally blew his brains out because he could not confront his alcoholism.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Hemingway was a pioneer with his short simple sentence-style he developed writing about his life experiences. Unfortunately, was quite the chad who finally blew his brains out because he could not confront his alcoholism.

That's a bit simplistic, or was that a Hemingway style pared-back explanation? :D It was more likely depression and mental illness that led to alcohol misuse, as is so often the case. Self-medication like this is common. A lot of great American authors had this issue, from Faulkner to Fitzgerald, Mailer to Capote. I never much liked Hemingway and preferred the real father of the simple pared back sentences, Jack London - who influenced Hemingway and was also a hard drinking man who died of an overdose. Don't be a 20th century writer...

TheOldFashioned

Call Me a Cab
This popped up on my Google feed today, an interview with Stu:

https://airmail.news/issues/2023-9-30/tougher-than-leather

You have input an email address to read the article, but you can enter jibberish and not have to verify that the email is valid by clicking a link.

Nothing illuminating that probably isn't already known nor been discussed here before. I learned Stu is an anti-dentite. (OK, that's my one cheap shot.) But I also didn't realize he was 73. For all the crap that gets dumped on him, perhaps some of it rightly so, it's hard to deny that the leather jacket world will be worse off whenever Stu decides to hang it up.

jonbuilder

That's a bit simplistic, or was that a Hemingway style pared-back explanation? :D It was more likely depression and mental illness that led to alcohol misuse, as is so often the case. Self-medication like this is common. A lot of great American authors had this issue, from Faulkner to Fitzgerald, Mailer to Capote. I never much liked Hemingway and preferred the real father of the simple pared back sentences, Jack London - who influenced Hemingway and was also a hard drinking man who died of an overdose. Don't be a 20th century writer...
After further research, I agree with you. Hemingway suffered from acute pain due and back-to-back plane crashes from a car crash. He most likely suffered from a mental illness inherited from his father who shot himself in the head with a revolver.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points