Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Lost Worlds’ founder Stuart interviewed

No one said otherwise. It’s just a bit repetitive. Fire away if it makes you happy. Different opinions, perspectives and all that.

Superfluous

My Mail is Forwarded Here
You mean you haven’t been checking out the “what dress are you wearing under your leather jacket today” thread?!?
Dude, it’s epic!

mmql6vgd7zh41.gif

El Marro

On a more serious note I will say that there have been a lot of good points made all around in this thread.
I myself have purchased two LW jackets new from Stuart and my interactions with him on the phone and through email were perfectly normal and pleasant. When discussing some details that I wanted to incorporate into my Ryder I mentioned that I had gotten the idea from speaking with @John D Maccarter whom I know through TFL. I was interested to hear his reply when I mentioned the forum but I think he merely acknowledged my design idea and moved on. Both of my LW jackets are very well-made and they are among my favorites in my collection.
Regarding Stuart’s attitude towards others in the jacket making world it actually makes me kind of sad when I read what he has to say. It reminds me a bit of myself when I was a young insecure electrical contractor just starting out in this business. In those days I would badmouth most of my competition and I also took it very personally when I heard that anyone I knew had hired another electrician rather than me. As time went on I became more confident in my abilities, with a larger customer base and I also realized that there are a lot of good brother and sister electricians out there working in the field. I am proud of that because it is one way that I can see I have grown and matured as time went on, my bald head of course is another way that I keep track of the passage of time...
Therefore it makes me sad to see someone who has been making good jackets for so long and yet does not seem to have the confidence to accept that he is part of the group of great jacket makers, rather than insisting that he is somehow better than all the rest.

Superfluous

On a more serious note I will say that there have been a lot of good points made all around in this thread.
I myself have purchased two LW jackets new from Stuart and my interactions with him on the phone and through email were perfectly normal and pleasant. When discussing some details that I wanted to incorporate into my Ryder I mentioned that I had gotten the idea from speaking with @John D Maccarter whom I know through TFL. I was interested to hear his reply when I mentioned the forum but I think he merely acknowledged my design idea and moved on. Both of my LW jackets are very well-made and they are among my favorites in my collection.
Regarding Stuart’s attitude towards others in the jacket making world it actually makes me kind of sad when I read what he has to say. It reminds me a bit of myself when I was a young insecure electrical contractor just starting out in this business. In those days I would badmouth most of my competition and I also took it very personally when I heard that anyone I knew had hired another electrician rather than me. As time went on I became more confident in my abilities, with a larger customer base and I also realized that there are a lot of good brother and sister electricians out there working in the field. I am proud of that because it is one way that I can see I have grown and matured as time went on, my bald head of course is another way that I keep track of the passage of time...
Therefore it makes me sad to see someone who has been making good jackets for so long and yet does not seem to have the confidence to accept that he is part of the group of great jacket makers, rather than insisting that he is somehow better than all the rest.

81197959.jpg

Kris B

Familiar Face
Stu sent the link to the interview to all his customers a week ago. After reading it I was inspired to order another jacket, I love doing business with people who are passionate about their craft and stand by their work. I have 4 LW pieces, 1 vest and 3 jackets and they are all perfect and Stu has always been easy for me to deal with. My opinion of LW has been shaped by the quality of their jackets and the professional dealings with the owner.

Last edited:
You nailed it right to the ground. I feel the exact same way. Many, many moons ago when I was a competitive athlete in a (literal) pool of highly skilled athletes I’d get so pissed when I lost or blew a meet. It took years for me to understand that on any given day anybody could be the best and what’s more, I could be the best and still lose. But all that aside I find Stu’s ramblings to be a sad commentary on a guy who likely has a tremendous depth of knowledge and passion to share but lacks the ability to do so. Really matters very little in the grand scheme of things. But there’s no doubt a shame to his wasted potential as a source of information. I suppose that’s not of any concern to him.
Odd juxtaposition for an academic.

diabel

Familiar Face
Quirky guy who makes interesting jackets. I'd not buy from him personally but in a bigger scheme of things I'm glad that he found his calling.

Mich486

One Too Many
No one said otherwise. It’s just a bit repetitive. Fire away if it makes you happy. Different opinions, perspectives and all that.

Nope! You are not allowed to see it differently... he’s a dick plain and simple. Either you see it like that or you’re wrong and irrational.

Are you still going to patronise LW?!

79D39442-A135-457C-A39F-F21886594D40.gif

itsallgood

One of the Regulars
I have a different point of view than many of the comments in this thread. I enjoyed reading his passion! Makes me want to buy a LW jacket.

Yes, his website is over the top. But, if you've ever known a PhD in English, they can really go off in a random direction. I think his website is just his outlet for his obvious gift and trained skill in language. It's got a New York outer borough edge to it, but hey!

I loved his comment about "reimagining Cervantes’s Don Quixote completely" and wish the interviewer had taken the conversation deeper.

Am I going to lay out two grand for a leather jacket? No. But I'll sure watch for one on the secondary market!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21