Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Lost Worlds’ founder Stuart interviewed

@Monitor Didn’t Thedi go all medieval on you for an off hand comment stating that his jackets were too fashion oriented? He is an artist, you are nothing and know nothing, or something like that as I recall. All these top tier guys have egos that go haywire. All make decisions that screw a portion of their clientele. Nothing new.

And for all the Stuart hate being spouted, I truly believe you have a leg to stand on. I’ll listen to your grievances. Actions matter more than words. To me, this has nothing to do with some perceived moral high ground or lack of a moral code if you buy a LWs- in your case he didn’t fulfill the contract. Be pissed all you want. I’m with you. All else, I just don’t get caught up in it.

It’s simple. I like the jacket. I pay for the jacket. The day I don’t get what I pay for I seek life elsewhere. He and I aren’t friends, you are absolutely on point there.

Superfluous

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Last but not least, my favorite gem by LW.

"On the various flight and vintage jacket forums, where "men" put up digital pictures for their "buddies" of how they look in flight jackets -- children dressing up, no, cross-dressing as adults . . . those whose knowledge of American history and masculine imagery are but flights of the remotest fantasy. . . . Avoid these forums, their self-appointed, fatuous "authorities" and instructions like syphilis . . . A disgrace that manly pursuits are contaminated by the unmanly. Welcome to the afterbirths of political correctness. Mass eunuchry -- a different kind of gun control."

The above-referenced quote speaks volumes. We, as members of an internet discussion forum, who dare to discuss our experiences with and opinions regarding outerwear manufacturers, including LW, are:
  • "unmanly"
  • "disgraces"
  • "children dressing up, no, cross-dressing as adults"
  • ball-less ("eunuchry" -- I had to look it up)
  • wholly lacking knowledge of American history
  • delusional about "masculine imagery"
  • "fatuous authorities."
Therefore, according to the self-appointed legitimate authority on all things manly, TFL should be avoided like "syphilis."

This guy is a complete DB. If this were a Monty Python skit (good reference @Will Zach ), I might chuckle at the hyperbolic disparagement. But this is not a comedy skit, nor a ruse, nor advanced tongue in cheek. The foregoing accurately and precisely reflects Stu's unvarnished beliefs, proudly and permanently displayed on his website for all to read. Stu passionately despises every single member of this community. Not only does he fervently abhor us, but he openly and publicly belittles and condemns us is particularly harsh and demeaning terms. We are unmanly and have no testicles! We are children and cross-dressers! We are delusional! We are a disgrace! Are you f--ing kidding me. With so many wonderful options for great jackets, how does this DB receive one dollar of our hard earned money?

Thank you @Monitor for posting Stu's enlightening quote. I admittedly have not studied LW's website. I would purchase a jacket from BK before patronizing LW. BK's antics, while undeniably inappropriate, were rather naive and immature. Conversely, Stu's dogma is calculated, willful, and malicious.

Ps: Andy, if you are reading this, shoot me an e-mail. I am ready to try another of your jackets.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
He's clearly a pretty high camp personality with a comic routine (HD's 'BS personality' comment is a good shorthand) that sometimes seems pretty toxic from where I sit, but some people seem not to notice or mind this invective. Nick is also right about the old school Coach persona. I wonder if I would care more about this if he made jackets I wanted. The work does seem pretty good.

Hmm... didn't read this as "everybody on a forum" but more for those "who find necessary ego completion" in forums. Many people are on forums just to discuss a topic they are passionate about and that doesn't fit this description.
How does one become one and not the other? Where is the dividing line? Who is qualified to make this assessment?

antoine p

One of the Regulars
LW's downright hate toward us - yes, us here on TLF or StyleForum or SuFu or VJL or anywhere where people talk about jackets, post photos of our jackets - has always bothered me. There's no sugarcoating it - He hates you and he hates me and that's something that is crystal clear just from browsing his website. Web store. I knew that when I ordered my LW and I went along with it. But it bothered me and it bothers me still. I don't get it, why would he hate the only people capable of truly appreciating his outstanding jackets?

But make no mistake, he hates you. Whether you've bought 30 jackets from him or just one, and posted photos of it, talked about, et cetera... LW hates you. I don't think I'm using too strong of a word. Every single product description on LW's site has a part about how much we fail at life.

You have one interview with the guy and he couldn't wrap it up without bringing us up and how much he dislikes us. I honestly don't understand how do you guys call him and talk to him, knowing he hates your guts.

Last but not least, my favorite gem by LW.

"On the various flight and vintage jacket forums, where "men" put up digital pictures for their "buddies" of how they look in flight jackets -- children dressing up, no, cross-dressing as adults -- one can read expert instructions on aging, softening, antiquing new jackets to give them that flown-in look, for those whose knowledge of American history and masculine imagery are but flights of the remotest fantasy. There's putting 'em in the washer, sanding, nail polish remover, heat treatments. Avoid these forums, their self-appointed, fatuous "authorities" and instructions like syphilis if you want to know anything -- tanning, history, technical data (Nietzsche might say rulers are only for the small)-- about this important if esoteric niche of Americana. A disgrace that manly pursuits are contaminated by the unmanly. Welcome to the afterbirths of political correctness. Mass eunuchry -- a different kind of gun control."

earlier in the thread you mentioned "constant disparaging," "every single product description on LW's site has a part about how much we fail at life".

taking a look through the site, and considering how little we really hear from this guy, there's no blog, no twitter account, no IG account, etc., this just simply isn't true. there's a july 2020 interview, and product descriptions that were written many years ago, some of which have been taken down years ago. i think it is more than a stretch to consider this "constant." the threads here on TFL about LW, same opinions by the same users recycled over and over again, everybody gets their comment- this is constant. it is an ongoing yet unchanging conversation.

I am sorry to say it mate, but I think there's deep projection from you here. I felt this way when I read your bad experience LW thread too, you were interpreting his responses in really harsh terms like "so you think i'm an idiot", etc… the situation and his responses really did not read that way to me. it's far from squeaky clean customer service you'd get from somewhere else, of course. but the same thing goes with your quoted passage- i don't interpret the comments about forums and forum users as stuart "hating my guts," "make no mistake, he hates you" or what superfluous said "passionately despising every member of this community" (lol!), i interpret it differently, and think many others do too. one can disparage an activity- does that really mean "downright hate?" we disparage ourselves here often, albeit in a lighter tone, laughing at the neverending "projects" and shopping.

someone else mentioned in the thread that this is a 69 year old man. there are generational differences- the same thing goes with the attitude of some users on this very forum who are a similar age. i chalk much of the frustrations here up to this.

the stigma of the male clothing hobbyist is an old story. if you're reading this, you're a clothing hobbyist. this is a wide cultural bias, it was around before lost worlds and will remain after lost worlds. i accept it as that, take no offense from what stuart writes, and in fact appreciate the opinions of someone who has deeply considered clothing and built a life around it. i have no shame in my hobby, but i think that goes hand in hand with a sense of humor and a slightly thicker skin. i'll always remember the advice jacketjunkie gave about potential partners finding out you've got 20 jackets in your closet- to tell them "i may have a problem, i don't care, it's a hobby and it gives me joy." i read and consider opinions accordingly.

dudewuttheheck

I'll Lock Up
I would like to be a fly on the wall and listen to BK and LW go toe to toe on whose jacket is better and who has the worse customer base. They seem to operate on similar ethos.
I would pay money to watch this.

I sometimes have interest in buying a Lost Worlds, and then I see Stu say or do something arrogant and/or disparaging and then I suddenly remember how happy I am with my Freewheelers jackets from "Tokyo." :D

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
I would pay money to watch this.

I sometimes have interest in buying a Lost Worlds, and then I see Stu say or do something arrogant and/or disparaging and then I suddenly remember how happy I am with my Freewheelers jackets from "Tokyo." :D
How rusty is your Japanese? You don't know what the guys from freewheelers are saying on the Japanese leather jacket forum :p

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
Ah don' wanna talk to you no more, you empty-headed animal food-trough wiper! Ah fart in your general direction! Your mother was a hamster, and your father smelt of elderberries!
Well, judging from your translation, at least they're not crapping on their customers.

red devil

My Mail is Forwarded Here
How does one become one and not the other? Where is the dividing line? Who is qualified to make this assessment?

That is a very good question, certainly not us lol
Basically Stuart knows that I am posting stuff in a forum and never had any problems with it, implied or not. But he doesn't like a certain type of customer and these are the ones he is venting against. All shops have a certain type of customers they hate to deal with, it is nothing new. So why make all this fuss?

earlier in the thread you mentioned "constant disparaging," "every single product description on LW's site has a part about how much we fail at life".

taking a look through the site, and considering how little we really hear from this guy, there's no blog, no twitter account, no IG account, etc., this just simply isn't true. there's a july 2020 interview, and product descriptions that were written many years ago, some of which have been taken down years ago. i think it is more than a stretch to consider this "constant." the threads here on TFL about LW, same opinions by the same users recycled over and over again, everybody gets their comment- this is constant. it is an ongoing yet unchanging conversation.

I am sorry to say it mate, but I think there's deep projection from you here. I felt this way when I read your bad experience LW thread too, you were interpreting his responses in really harsh terms like "so you think i'm an idiot", etc… the situation and his responses really did not read that way to me. it's far from squeaky clean customer service you'd get from somewhere else, of course. but the same thing goes with your quoted passage- i don't interpret the comments about forums and forum users as stuart "hating my guts," "make no mistake, he hates you" or what superfluous said "passionately despising every member of this community" (lol!), i interpret it differently, and think many others do too. one can disparage an activity- does that really mean "downright hate?" we disparage ourselves here often, albeit in a lighter tone, laughing at the neverending "projects" and shopping.

someone else mentioned in the thread that this is a 69 year old man. there are generational differences- the same thing goes with the attitude of some users on this very forum who are a similar age. i chalk much of the frustrations here up to this.

the stigma of the male clothing hobbyist is an old story. if you're reading this, you're a clothing hobbyist. this is a wide cultural bias, it was around before lost worlds and will remain after lost worlds. i accept it as that, take no offense from what stuart writes, and in fact appreciate the opinions of someone who has deeply considered clothing and built a life around it. i have no shame in my hobby, but i think that goes hand in hand with a sense of humor and a slightly thicker skin. i'll always remember the advice jacketjunkie gave about potential partners finding out you've got 20 jackets in your closet- to tell them "i may have a problem, i don't care, it's a hobby and it gives me joy." i read and consider opinions accordingly.

This

How rusty is your Japanese? You don't know what the guys from freewheelers are saying on the Japanese leather jacket forum :p

I speak Japanese but I am not in the wall listening in unfortunately lol

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
why not a video interview like the others? people here saying he is a different guy when talking face to face or through the phone.

you can almost see the line halfway through the interview where he switched into his persona. it's hard to imagine how this would win potential new clients which is the point of such interview.

Grayland

Call Me a Cab
I've owned one of his jackets and agree with HD that the leather (while bulletproof) is pretty lifeless and dull. Regardless, if I liked his hides, I'd buy his jackets; I don't care one iota about his personality, his rantings, or what he thinks of me.

Mich486

One Too Many
^i’m in the same thinking camp.

If the product delivered is what it says on the tin and I like it, as long as we are not talking about financing some terrorist organisation or some convicted criminal, I couldn’t care less.

I too tend to get judgemental sometimes too easily but I’m surprised at how much some people can read into that interview. Honestly, you make him look like the worst human being on the planet. I don’t get it...

I won't discuss my recent LW purchase as I consider the matter closed but as for the projection here... Sure, I'm projecting.

I am projecting that when someone says "On the various flight and vintage jacket forums, where "men" put up digital pictures for their "buddies" of how they look in flight jackets -- children dressing up, no, cross-dressing as adults . . .", they meant to insult the people who post photos of themselves wearing clothes they like. Could be my grasp on English isn't all too good or I'm not reading between the lines but... I can't seem to find any other way to interpret this. My bad.

There are many ways of saying we're all nuts here but there's a huge difference between taking friendly jabs and displaying downright dislike. Admittedly, Stu chose to be 100% honest and as noble as that is, unfiltered honesty doesn't magically transform his beliefs into anything other than what they reflect and what they reflect is, and I'm going to quote @Superfluous here because he put it so perfectly, Stu's unvarnished beliefs, proudly and permanently displayed on his website for all to read. Stu passionately despises every single member of this community.

As for how old he is, I'm sorry but that just doesn't mean anything at all.

You're right, though, I shouldn't be taking Stu's online persona personally and to be honest, I don't. Never did. While it did bother me a bit, it clearly wasn't enough since it was LW I chose to trust my two grands to and also partially because yeah, I get it. I understand enough about this business to know where he's coming from and why's he saying things he is saying. I don't agree but I can see it.

LW makes great jackets, some of the best on the market and again, I'll never say this isn't the case and he has every right to have a strong opinion. @JMax is right here. You wanna spend big money on a leather jacket? Go to LW. I'd go as far as to say that at a $2000 + price range, Lost Worlds is the only maker you'll get most worth out of your money from. I honestly wouldn't recommend anyone else. So all good here, no hate or even general dislike from me.

But I'm also not going to pretend it's some kind of quirky artisan behavior because if I find myself and other members of TFL, in almost every description of what according to LW is to be considered cancerous even though literally the only exposure their products are getting is through us, so I don't see how am I supposed to project any of their ramblings, other than insulting. And honestly, I don't think Stu'd want anyone to take it any other way.

Same as I am not going to pretend that when someone tells me that it's perfectly normal for a $2K leather jacket to be full of holes and missed stitching, that they're not taking me for an idiot.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zonko