Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Lost Worlds jackets.

striperhound

New in Town
hi and a Lost Worlds question

Hi! I've been lurking for a while, but this is my first post. I was wondering if anyone here owns or has seen "in the flesh" (as it were) either the LW Roadhouse or Downtown models? Both sort of float my boat, but I can't decide if they are super cool or (especially the Roadhouse), just kind of silly (I'm also posting this on the VLJ site).

Thanks much. Very informative site, by the way!

Flyingtom

New in Town
Lost Worlds ANJ-4

UHHHHH I think the LW ANJ-4 ist the best ANJ-4 who ever made ...BUT its so expensive!!! And with the custom here in Germany i must pay about 1100 euro !!!!Is there a Chance to get one without custom pay ment?? Thanx

Better Duck

New in Town
Flyingtom said:
UHHHHH I think the LW ANJ-4 ist the best ANJ-4 who ever made ...BUT its so expensive!!! And with the custom here in Germany i must pay about 1100 euro !!!!Is there a Chance to get one without custom pay ment?? Thanx

Yeh: Order your jacket at LW and check if it is possible to collect it in person. I certainly would like to meet the (rather opinionated) owner of LW. Buy a ticket for a long weekend in The Big Apple, collect your ANJ4 at LW and wear it when travelling back.
It will probably cost you about as much as the German tax would cost you, but, hey, you got a free trip for that!

Peter

airfrogusmc

Suspended
Yeah and when you're there tell him you read on one of the forums that the sheepskin he uses is a little on the heavy side and take a hidden camera. I would LOVE to see the tape of his response. lol lol lol

jtasher3

New in Town
Aero ANJ-4

I really like the look of the Aero ANJ-4 as well, but the one listed on their website is only a sample, they don't offer the jacket for sale yet. Mark Moye at Aero said that they anticipate offering ANJ-4's for sale sometime in the "Winter," but he couldn't elaborate. He did mention that they were going to be offered in the 500 Pound, $1000 dollar range.

jtasher3

rainguy

New in Town
Lost Worlds Cotton Twill A-2

In the mail yesterday, a handsome cotton twill take on the A-2. Outer is a medium-weight (nice and solid, but not heavy) khaki cotton twill, inside/cuffs/waist are OD, a nice complement to the khaki. This impresses me as a really well-made jacket: fit and finish are exceptional (it's a size M 38/40, probably closer to a true 38 based on how it fits me) and the fit is trim, authenticity of detail is fine by me (though I'm sure some of the forum purists will go apoplectic to find some seam 1/16" off or the pockets a fraction too close or too far back, etc.) but all I expect, and all I want, is a jacket that passes A-2 muster for 99.9% of those who see it. I have no interest in laying it out next to a vintage A-2 and doing a point-by-point comparison. Label specifies Dubow as the maker, though (not being an expert or even close to it), neither Dubow nor any maker actually made the A-2 in this fabric as far as I know.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y189/Rainguy/CIMG1898.jpg

The Wingnut

One Too Many
Interesting take on the A-2. Originals were all made in either goatskin or horsehide. The closest the AAF came to cotton flight jackets were the A-2's replacements, the B-10 and B-15, which were nylon.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
I have an Orvis all cotton (all khaki tan) A-2 that I quite like in the transitional seasons. It repels water somewhat, which is nice for a lightweight twill.

Years ago L.L. Bean offered a similar jacket, but not water repellent.

JRaptor

Familiar Face
The Wingnut said:
Interesting take on the A-2. Originals were all made in either goatskin or horsehide. The closest the AAF came to cotton flight jackets were the A-2's replacements, the B-10 and B-15, which were nylon.

B-10's are cotton twill as were the B-15A's! A-2's were never and shouldn't be reproduced as such!

shoeshineboy

Practically Family
i have the Orvis A-2. also....I really like it for those cooler days of spring...this version does repel water...the pockets make it great for my profession...with my camera and notepad....

mark the shoeshine boy

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
B-10

b10.jpg

Looks a lot like the G-1 patternwise. Was it lined? What with?
The idea of a fur collar on a cotton jacket doesn't quite click somehow.

rainguy

New in Town
Hi John (in Covina). At the time I ordered, Stuart did have one of the cotton twill A-2s available in size L, but that was as large as he had them. Check out the Sale section on the LW web site: $100.

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Fletch said:
b10.jpg

Looks a lot like the G-1 patternwise. Was it lined? What with?
The idea of a fur collar on a cotton jacket doesn't quite click somehow.

Well, it probably would be nice at 30,000 ft.

B-10 and B-15 lining was wool/alpaca pile(cotton sateen and sometimes cotton twill shell), collar is nice lamb shearling, which can fasten around the neck with a button-latch.
These jackets are incredibly warm for the maneuverability they afford due to the cloth shell and armpit gussets(compared to leather/and shearling jackets).

The B-10 is only superficially similar to a '40s G-1 (goatskin)and the earlier/later USN and combined services models(ANj...).
G-1 has an action-pleat back into a sewn-in half belt and is cut longer, with only a rayon lining.

B-15 and B-15a were cotton- B-15B, C, etc... and the following modified models(collars removed and replaced with knit) M-A1s were all nylon shelled. The OD of the shell was "replaced" with a dark blue in '47, I think, when the USAAF became the USAF and "officially" adopted the blue uniform, although there were later OD and sage green variants. The USAF continued for some time, to mix blue and OD gear in acual service(as can be seen in post-'46 and Korean war footage and photos).

Flight parkas were often used in addition to flight jackets in cold weather/high altitude missions- just as heavier shearling jackets were often used on top of A-2s in similar conditions.

I imagine a cloth "A-2" would be quite nice as long as it has a sharp fit.

My historical information may be slightly wrong... I've been out of the world of flight jacket for some time and my memory isn't what it was but I hope you have found this informative-

B
T

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
JRaptor said:
B-10's are cotton twill as were the B-15A's! A-2's were never and shouldn't be reproduced as such!

Most B-10/15s were actually cotton sateen, which is a flat finished, cotton cloth(same as, or simliar too the M-43 OD trousers and jacket uniform- although I have a wartime pair of M-43 trousers in twill)- there were some but not so many twill B-10s and the law of averages would probably say that there were twill B-15s too but I've never seen a military contracted one. There were many "B-10 and B-15" jackets sold commercially immediately post war and into the '50s but they are all different from military issued examples, although many were very close.

Eastman market a "contract-copy" Roughwear B-10 in twill, which is a very good repro and actually fits as it should.

B
T

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy