Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Lost Worlds jackets.

Roma

A-List Customer
I agree. I actually enjoy the subtle noises made by certain of my jackets . . . reminds me that I am wearing a hearty, robust leather, as opposed to some mall/fashion leather
Yes, it's a pleasant feeling. Believe it or not but my 3 oz peacot makes more noise then 4 oz Suburban. The Suburban leather is kinda more oil-stuffed and a bit softer though heavier. Weird:)

mendelboaz

One Too Many
I'm only maybe a 6 on the Star Wars nerd scales, so I enjoyed it. I guess it was a reset for JJA to reset the series to get the last episodes out of everyone's minds - those that are 9/10 on the SW Nerd Scale™
I enjoy them mainly for two reasons, my wife worked with the original guys that did all the first SW movies - (http://www.mccune-design.com/film_tv.html) and my son grew up loving SW.
We used to camp out to get seats for first night shows.

So on that level, I am a fan, but not a super fan. Worth seeing for sure. Safe for just about any age, and takes it back to where I guess the 9/10'ers want it to be going... :)

I'm glad to hear you enjoyed it. I'm also thinking JJ means to reset and re-envision the series. I just hope episode VIII goes in a more interesting direction, instead of rehashing previously told stories (however awesome those stories may be).

I think it's awesome your wife worked with the original SW guys!

Roma

A-List Customer
Derived from full length leather flight suits of the 1920s, the rare B-2 was procured for only two years by the AAC before replacement by the famed B-3. Doubtless the reasons were warmth, labor intensity and cost. The all-sheepskin B-3 was warmer, easier and cheaper to make. The B-2 hearkens back to the open cockpit age. Closed cockpits and increased altitude required warmer gear.

That's possibly why B2 is not so popular. I've just checked Rakuten global market, there's no B2. A rare jacket.

Edward

Bartender
Yes, just a lovely design that got outclassed quickly for its intended purpose.... Interesting as a link between the B3 (which has all the advantages you mention) and the B1. The B1, I believe, was similar to the B2 except shearling lined. Which would probably make it the warmest of the lot, though also the most labour intensive to produce.

Roma

A-List Customer
Never heard of the B1. Looked it up on the net and found no info actually. What is the jacket, Edward? There are a few different jackets I found that called B1, but they don't look similar.

WhiskeyTangoFox

One of the Regulars
Roma:

The B-1 was fundamentally the same design as the B-2 but with sheepskin lining instead of the moquette (and later wool blanket) lining of the B-2. The B-1s had a couple of small, unique features as well. The early generation B-1s had a button-type throat closure (instead of the familiar snap closure) and the later generation B-1s had a leather strap-type throat closure with a second strap to secure the top of the collar together (similar to a B-3).

Noel

Blackadder

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Derived from full length leather flight suits of the 1920s, the rare B-2 was procured for only two years by the AAC before replacement by the famed B-3. Doubtless the reasons were warmth, labor intensity and cost. The all-sheepskin B-3 was warmer, easier and cheaper to make. The B-2 hearkens back to the open cockpit age. Closed cockpits and increased altitude required warmer gear.

That's possibly why B2 is not so popular. I've just checked Rakuten global market, there's no B2. A rare jacket.
FYI Buzz Rickson's B-2 BR80331
http://global.rakuten.com/en/store/hinoya/item/br80331/
http://global.rakuten.com/en/search/?k=BR80331&l-id=search_regular

Roma

A-List Customer
Roma:

The B-1 was fundamentally the same design as the B-2 but with sheepskin lining instead of the moquette (and later wool blanket) lining of the B-2. The B-1s had a couple of small, unique features as well. The early generation B-1s had a button-type throat closure (instead of the familiar snap closure) and the later generation B-1s had a leather strap-type throat closure with a second strap to secure the top of the collar together (similar to a B-3).

Noel
Thanks for the information, Noel. I haven't even been able to find out the story of the jacket. It's a great jacket and has the best of both worlds: it's warm like the B3 and durable like the B2. A LW B2 is Alpaca lined, which makes it very warm too, thus providing the versatility for the current whether conditions.

Roma

A-List Customer
I'm a pretty tall guy with gorilla arms so I usually prefer custom jackets. Those BR B2 are great, but the biggest size they make is too big for me at the chest but too short in sleeves and body.

Roma

A-List Customer
By the way, there's a difference. BR use a stud for the pocket, but LW-a button. Which is more authentic?

Roma

A-List Customer
Very nice, Roma. I like the heavy Crown main zipper - it will serve you well. I also like the vintage mouton, which is different from my older Lost Worlds B-2. My collar has a more curly fleece (but very warm). He is mine for comparison:

I hope you enjoy your new jacket when it arrives and don't get discouraged when you try to open the pocket button for the first time. It will get easier as the leather breaks in. :)
I got the jacket yesterday and my only issue is the collar stud. I have a hard time clasping it while the jacket is on. How did you handle that? Or, possibly, you don't use it at all? There are the two collar buttons that are enough to keep freeze off, but I like the collar strap with that small stud but am barely able to use it.

Pdxgeo

A-List Customer
The a2 is breaking in. I wear it to work daily and it gets covered in wood dust. I wonder if the dust will break down the finish quicker than usual.

Attachments

• 20160222_164709~2.jpg
    20160222_164709~2.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 2,568

cuchulain

Familiar Face
I was looking at a LW Ryder, anyone have one in the flesh? The russet brown looks a little flat and boring in pictures, it's why I've zeroed in on an Aero Halfbelt, they look much nicer. How does the LW Ryder compare to an Aero halfbelt? I'm guessing the Ryder is more of a 1950's halfbelt cut.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OldBoot