Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Lost Worlds owners leather question

2wheelgrplr

A-List Customer
Great pictures! One of the few broken in LW jackets I have seen. And it looks great on you. I love it when black leather starts to dull out due to sun exposure. Looks so awesome! Question about the second to last picture: What is the guy on the very left wearing? Looks like a judogi and maybe it's because I practiced it for a long time, but I think he looks super cool.

Thanks jacketjunkie! That guy is wearing a jacket (called "gho") which is traditional everyday wear for highland nomad men in this part of the country. These people are of Tibetan stock and called Brokpa in Bhutan, and Monpa on the Indian side of the hills. The jacket is typically woven from yak hair and dyed red. They pair this with black or blue pants and high-top rubber rain boots. This wrap-around format is pretty common all over the Himalayas for people of Tibetan ethnicity, and yes, this particular style does look very much like a judogi - I should know, I too train Judo (haphazardly these past several years though), thus the "grplr" in my screen-name, "2wheel" of course cuz I ride bikes, like all the time!

Guppy

I'll Lock Up
After recently seeing a few pictures of his Buco PJ 27 around here, i couldn't help but go check it out on his website...
Reading the description is all i needed to clear my GAS, he seriously comes out as insane, i just couldn't give money to someone who writes stuff like that without seeing what i am buying.
I can't imagine how many jackets he doesn't sell because of his writing? Most of it doesn't even make sens!

"The Buco PJ27 is yet another incredible LOST WORLDS classic recreation of a horsehide classic known but to a few ardent collectors and old-timers who've been there. Consider the detailing above, the cut and profile, the dramatic sense emanated by workmanship and accuracy of pattern. From time to time we're asked why we don't "model" our jackets with "real," "live" people. LOST WORLDS jackets exude so much presence, are so pure and unadorned, that the usual marketing clichés of mediocrity and cookie cutter conformity would only contaminate. Our customers aren't the sort who need posed attitudes. Turn on the idiot tube or open a magazine for that. The jackets are the thing. The superfluous is best left to others, to those, of whom there are countless, indeed the majority, who must have the hype and plastic image-building. And plastic jackets.

Translation: models cost money, and you have to deal with people who might not be real men. Who needs it?

Edward

Bartender
I can't imagine how many jackets he doesn't sell because of his writing?

Stu's website rants rather remind me of a guy (now deceased, I believe) who used to sell (and make, or have made) electric guitars in Vegas. Same dismissive tone with regards to competitors, same aggression, same craqzy self-hype. Doesn't play to me, but clearly there's a market for it. All the macho, manly-manly stuff which, to be honest, I've always found laughable, obviously appeals to somebody. I'm sure Stu knows his market - probably the same guys who'll buy in a particular product store because that business loudly professes that it supports, or opposes, Candidate X, and will give a discount to Candidate Y's voters / refuse to serve Candidate X voters. It's a pretty old approach, really; the British tabloid press is full of people who contrive controversial opinions for money. Taking it into marketing a product rather than just the commentary is a logical move, and not exactly new. Like yourself, I find it offputting, but clearly there are enough don't that they stay in business! The LW model I would consider, were ever the pound to soar to the glory days of 2008 and USD2.20 again, would be his B2; I think he's the only business outside of Japan remaking those. Always liked the B2. My B3 is a Lost Worlds, and it is a lovely piece.

But yeah, what I've said before; all this talk about how nothing compares to LW and yet they lifted everything they could use from Schott. You could literally mistake Speed Demon for any 618.

From the front, yeah - I don't think any of the 618s have the centre seam on the back. Much as I love my 618, though, I'd probably rather have the LW in a spill, given the heavier hide, though I'd personally take a Vanson over a LW as being qualitatively comparable but significantly cheaper in the UK (of course they have economies of scale). Shame none of them do a Perfecto style with that nice original length and armour pockets. But then I can just imagnie Stu's views on anyone wanting to wear safety gear on a bike.... :p

Stu's marketing strategy reminds me a bit of Bill Kelso/Andy Falzon: We are exponentially better than anyone else, our competitors do not deserve to inhabit the same planet, and anyone who patronizes our competitors is repugnant and should be put to death for the betterment of mankind. Whatever.

That's a comparison that has sprung to mind before in their similar tones, though to be entirely fair to Stu, I don't think he's ever gone the length of trolling forums to tell us "Jacket Queens" why we're wrong, threaten litigation, or maintain a social media commentary on us all! ;) But hey, they're both still in business and selling to people who want to buy what they have to sell (literally and figuratively), so clearly it works for them.

Thanks jacketjunkie! That guy is wearing a jacket (called "gho") which is traditional everyday wear for highland nomad men in this part of the country. These people are of Tibetan stock and called Brokpa in Bhutan, and Monpa on the Indian side of the hills. The jacket is typically woven from yak hair and dyed red. They pair this with black or blue pants and high-top rubber rain boots. This wrap-around format is pretty common all over the Himalayas for people of Tibetan ethnicity, and yes, this particular style does look very much like a judogi - I should know, I too train Judo (haphazardly these past several years though), thus the "grplr" in my screen-name, "2wheel" of course cuz I ride bikes, like all the time!

It looks kinda cool. I can imagine it being practicla on the bike in those moutains - maybe with an armoured shirt underneath, though! ;)

Translation: models cost money, and you have to deal with people who might not be real men. Who needs it?

It's clearly arant not aimed at his direct competitors.... Maybe Schott. Most of the brands we favour in these parts (Schott and Vanson are exceptions) don't tend to picture the jackets with models. Aero have said in the past that they find it boxes them in - show a young guy asn we oldies won't buy it, show and old guy, the youngsters are turned off.... Hard to say what's best. Maybe it's the same for Stu and he just finds this works as marketing or maybe he just is hung up on the manly thing, who knows. I'd love to see what Stu would choose as "manly models", though.

I'd love to see what Stu would choose as "manly models", though.
top-action-movie-stars.jpg

There's a whole slew of tiny sized LW's on the bay right now. They look legit. If you're small enough you could grab a bargain on some front quarter chuck hide. FQCH.

Last edited:
Tbh, I still have only a vague idea who Chuck Norris is. I've only ever seen him as a meme.

He did a whole bunch of Direct-to-TV action movies and a long running TV series. The kind of stuff where if you slapped all of his movies and the entire TV series together and removed the intros and the credits, nobody would know where one ends and the other begins. Not necessarily bad. If you're into 80's and 90's action movies - or a Chuck Norris movie fan - most of it is right on the target. He got beaten up by Bruce Lee once.

timthumb.php

Edward

Bartender
He did a whole bunch of Direct-to-TV action movies and a long running TV series. The kind of stuff where if you slapped all of his movies and the entire TV series together and removed the intros and the credits, nobody would know where one ends and the other begins. Not necessarily bad. If you're into 80's and 90's action movies - or a Chuck Norris movie fan - most of it is right on the target. He got beaten up by Bruce Lee once.

timthumb.php

Aha! A sort of B-Grade Jean Claude Van Damme, then? Gotcha! Thanks.

Aha! A sort of B-Grade Jean Claude Van Damme, then? Gotcha! Thanks.

Like that. Seagal, Van Damme and early Carl Weathers kinda stuff. It's funny how Schwarzenegger was there as well and then Conan and Predator happened. Predator should've been no better than any Hard Target or Missing in Action and yet it somehow pretty much laid the foundation for... everything ever.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21