Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Lost Worlds Suburban fit

onghaku72

New in Town
I'd like to introduce myself, de-lurk and ask some feedback....

I'm an Aussie living in Tokyo. I have a few jackets... Aero Stockman coat, a Vanson Spokane coat, a Vanson vest and a Lost Worlds Suburban.

All my jackets are size 34. The coats fit "OK" but the sleeves are too long especially for the Vanson coat (which is something like 64cm sleeve length for a 47cm chest width). The Vanson vest fits perfectly on the other hand..trim. The Aero coat has great patina, heavy but softly broken-in horsehide and warm alpaca lining ... but still is too long for my liking in the sleeves. Since it's a "top" coat, I haven't minded the Aero being a bit boxy feeling. The Vanson Spokane is actually more of a long slim design. I plan in selling these in any case because I prefer keeping a single utility jacket rather than coats which tend to be restricted to winter use.

The Lost Worlds Suburban is the kind of all-purpose jacket I'd had in mind for a long while - and the hide, design and construction is about as perfect as anything I can imagine. It's 4oz horsehide. It is stiff but not untameable. I'd imagined it being much worse before I'd experienced wearing the 4oz weight.

I'd also previously tried on a "premier"(STF) fit Aero 30s half-belt in size 34, FQHH. The fit was very trim but no room for layering (just a thin T-shirt) and it would perhaps have been too restrictive for any serious work/movement with the heavy horsehide. The chest was apparently 51cm but a really different overall (slim) cut compared to the Lostworlds Suburban which (according to the measurements I have) has an only marginally bigger 52cm chest. The LW is much bigger fitting everywhere though..big sleeves, shoulders, waist etc. The LW is not a trim fit!

The Suburban as I understand its design though, is intended to be worn "big". How big is the question I have.

Recently I see a lot of people sizing down to wear similar jackets in a trim fit. The Japanese makers seem to be really into this approach. It looks fine ..is it also practical though?. e.g. for casual riding, for movement, for work..?

I noted a couple of members here ended up sizing-down with Lostworlds jackets. I wonder were they glad they did so? I see also some mixed opinions with wearing heavy hides: whether it's better to have a trim fit ...or go with a looser fit.

I'm 173cm... mostly around 63kg.. a slim build.
The LW size 34 Suburban feels comfortable and certainly allows layering. It looks basically as I'd expected fit wise.. but I wonder ...how is this jacket going to be once it eventually breaks in. Is it going to gather up or rather, "flatten" out..? The length is well over the belt.. perhaps a tad long.The sleeves are fine...long enough for riding. The shoulders are roomy but not overly so I guess. They allow for a forward riding reach but puff out a bit when standing.

But my main concern is that I can gather quiet a lot of "slack" if I pull at the waist/chest of this jacket... it's certainly very roomy around the midsection... It sometimes looks as though the stiff leather could end up pushing out a kind of pidgeon-chest looking bulge following along the zip line. Has anyone had such a problem? Is this possibly an indication I should have gone for a size 32 to get a closer fit around the chest/waist?

I'd appreciate feedback and any pointers to how these bigger fitting casual 50s jackets were originally worn. I haven't really been able to track down any good period accurate examples of this type of jacket as they would have been worn by an average-Joe back in the day. I see a lot of big fitting mass produced "mall jackets" for exemplary physiques.. But is that how people wore casual jackets in the 50s?? What about lean built folks? Did they go for a trim fit or easy/loose at that time?

This forum has been a great source of info. Many thanks to all the contributors.

OnG

9ce3d6093f0e8747ed3be92af8b39bcd.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Pdxgeo

A-List Customer
Im also a smaller guy and my ONLY current leather jacket is a Lost Worlds A2. The fit of mine seems very similar to yours and I can tell you it works for a t shirt and it works for a very heavy sweater. Maybe better for the latter but in spring or fall I typically wear a shirt and perhaps even a vest. So part of it depends on how you like to dress/layer. That said the fit looks quite good but 1 photo is definitely not enough to judge that from...so more fit pics!:)

tmitchell59

I'll Lock Up
I think you described the LW Suburban very well. It is not a tight fitting jacket in any size. At 3.21 in the Video I try on my 44 Suburban. Ever time I've tried to second guess LW sizing I got it wrong. I've bought 46, too big, 42 too small. My suburban has been worn (wore out the Zipper!). Best way to describe it is see it in the Video. I've been temped to size to a 42 in LW, but I should have learned my lesson. I am looking at another LW in size 44.

Hope that helps.

onghaku72

New in Town
A couple more pics...

2349c91fd448d91dd42759ce3acd50fa.jpg

ad72fcaf1bf65b39a80e3c0a853ac55d.jpg

f2661a9a5b6e19badcca35040e5d6bcc.jpg

Forgive the mask O:)
Call me paranoid...

onghaku72

New in Town
Im also a smaller guy and my ONLY current leather jacket is a Lost Worlds A2. The fit of mine seems very similar to yours and I can tell you it works for a t shirt and it works for a very heavy sweater. Maybe better for the latter but in spring or fall I typically wear a shirt and perhaps even a vest. So part of it depends on how you like to dress/layer. That said the fit looks quite good but 1 photo is definitely not enough to judge that from...so more fit pics!:)
With a thick hoodie underneath, same... A good fit... maybe I should just fatten up a bit..

As your A2 softened, did the fit change significantly? I'm guessing the jacket's shoulders will drop a bit and add extra to the sleeve length (not necessarily good..) I'm hoping the leather will also crease slightly..

onghaku72

New in Town
That looks like the correct fit for that Suburban. You have an updated zipper?
Thanks for commenting..glad to hear the fit looks ok. A real relief.

It has a Scovill paperclip kind zip.

I actually wanted a heavy duty square shaped Talon... Same as on many 80s period military jackets. Maybe LW forgot... The Scovill is heavy duty enough for the leather in any case.. Just stiff and I feel it doesn't match the casual look somehow.

onghaku72

New in Town
I think you described the LW Suburban very well. It is not a tight fitting jacket in any size. At 3.21 in the Video I try on my 44 Suburban. Ever time I've tried to second guess LW sizing I got it wrong. I've bought 46, too big, 42 too small. My suburban has been worn (wore out the Zipper!). Best way to describe it is see it in the Video. I've been temped to size to a 42 in LW, but I should have learned my lesson. I am looking at another LW in size 44.

Hope that helps.

Thanks for your videos. I'd actually taken a good look at them before.. they really helped deciding before I ordered. Seeing a video helps get a better idea of how the leather will really look.

Pdxgeo

A-List Customer
My jacket has definitely taken on more creases and the grain is way more pronounced than it was but I bought i used so it was never really very stiff to begin with. Yours like mine seems to fit at the very end of your shoulder line. I might actually prefer a slightly narrower shoulder but that will be my request on my next jacket.
20160318_1302101.jpg

onghaku72

New in Town
That looks like the correct fit for that Suburban. You have an updated zipper?
Suburban zip

e5a91159f16d783c29b89da103596b2b.jpg

This is the zip (above) that my jacket has and which LW seem to use mostly on their Suburban jackets recently. It's very sturdy and well up to the job of the heavier hide. #7 or maybe #10, not sure. LW seems to have only #10s in their parts/restorations section so maybe it's #10.

I was wondering if it might be possible to just switch the pull tab part with something like following below. But the only place I know sells them is no out of stock..

32114278ac0b04f77269d6f37e6376b5.jpg

Mash JP...
http://www.mash-japan.co.jp/oversea/cgi-bin/prd-eng.cgi?itemno=95-04-8010&ck=

tmitchell59

I'll Lock Up
I wouldn't mess with that Zipper. You would have to change the slider, which isn't a huge thing, but finding the correct slider may be. Not really sure. I like that look of zipper on that jacket.

onghaku72

New in Town
My jacket has definitely taken on more creases and the grain is way more pronounced than it was but I bought i used so it was never really very stiff to begin with. Yours like mine seems to fit at the very end of your shoulder line. I might actually prefer a slightly narrower shoulder but that will be my request on my next jacket. View attachment 62212
My shoulders are far from broad so I somehow like the bigger "slightly over" shoulder fit. For a slender body, I feel it works better to have a bit extra in this way rather than a perfectly matched or tightly fit shoulder. I've seen some Japanese made jackets being modelled with closely fit shoulders and they don't look as right to me!

thor

Call Me a Cab
Very nice fit; over time that LW horsehide conforms to your body shape and the creases and wrinkles really pop, creating a really unique patina.

onghaku72

New in Town
I wouldn't mess with that Zipper. You would have to change the slider, which isn't a huge thing, but finding the correct slider may be. Not really sure. I like that look of zipper on that jacket.
Yeah I sort of gave up the idea! It looks like it'd be a tough job getting the existing zip pull tab off (leaving the same base slider).

onghaku72

New in Town
Very nice fit; over time that LW horsehide conforms to your body shape and the creases and wrinkles really pop, creating a really unique patina.
Thanks for the comment Thor.

sweetfights

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I have a Suburban, size 42 with longer arms.
That is how it fits - looks like you have the correct fit.
Seems like LW is making that Scovill standard- I paid extra $$ for mine only this year.
Mine is 4 oz horsehide- I like the more heavy duty Scovill.
You will love this jacket for your lifetime of use. Even heavy use. Bullet proof!!!

onghaku72

New in Town
I have a Suburban, size 42 with longer arms.
That is how it fits - looks like you have the correct fit.
Seems like LW is making that Scovill standard- I paid extra $$ for mine only this year.
Mine is 4 oz horsehide- I like the more heavy duty Scovill.
You will love this jacket for your lifetime of use. Even heavy use. Bullet proof!!!
Thanks Sweetfights. I'll definitely keep the Scovill zip based on this.

Bluechel

Practically Family
I'd like to introduce myself, de-lurk and ask some feedback....

I'm an Aussie living in Tokyo. I have a few jackets... Aero Stockman coat, a Vanson Spokane coat, a Vanson vest and a Lost Worlds Suburban.

All my jackets are size 34. The coats fit "OK" but the sleeves are too long especially for the Vanson coat (which is something like 64cm sleeve length for a 47cm chest width). The Vanson vest fits perfectly on the other hand..trim. The Aero coat has great patina, heavy but softly broken-in horsehide and warm alpaca lining ... but still is too long for my liking in the sleeves. Since it's a "top" coat, I haven't minded the Aero being a bit boxy feeling. The Vanson Spokane is actually more of a long slim design. I plan in selling these in any case because I prefer keeping a single utility jacket rather than coats which tend to be restricted to winter use.

The Lost Worlds Suburban is the kind of all-purpose jacket I'd had in mind for a long while - and the hide, design and construction is about as perfect as anything I can imagine. It's 4oz horsehide. It is stiff but not untameable. I'd imagined it being much worse before I'd experienced wearing the 4oz weight.

I'd also previously tried on a "premier"(STF) fit Aero 30s half-belt in size 34, FQHH. The fit was very trim but no room for layering (just a thin T-shirt) and it would perhaps have been too restrictive for any serious work/movement with the heavy horsehide. The chest was apparently 51cm but a really different overall (slim) cut compared to the Lostworlds Suburban which (according to the measurements I have) has an only marginally bigger 52cm chest. The LW is much bigger fitting everywhere though..big sleeves, shoulders, waist etc. The LW is not a trim fit!

The Suburban as I understand its design though, is intended to be worn "big". How big is the question I have.

Recently I see a lot of people sizing down to wear similar jackets in a trim fit. The Japanese makers seem to be really into this approach. It looks fine ..is it also practical though?. e.g. for casual riding, for movement, for work..?

I noted a couple of members here ended up sizing-down with Lostworlds jackets. I wonder were they glad they did so? I see also some mixed opinions with wearing heavy hides: whether it's better to have a trim fit ...or go with a looser fit.

I'm 173cm... mostly around 63kg.. a slim build.
The LW size 34 Suburban feels comfortable and certainly allows layering. It looks basically as I'd expected fit wise.. but I wonder ...how is this jacket going to be once it eventually breaks in. Is it going to gather up or rather, "flatten" out..? The length is well over the belt.. perhaps a tad long.The sleeves are fine...long enough for riding. The shoulders are roomy but not overly so I guess. They allow for a forward riding reach but puff out a bit when standing.

But my main concern is that I can gather quiet a lot of "slack" if I pull at the waist/chest of this jacket... it's certainly very roomy around the midsection... It sometimes looks as though the stiff leather could end up pushing out a kind of pidgeon-chest looking bulge following along the zip line. Has anyone had such a problem? Is this possibly an indication I should have gone for a size 32 to get a closer fit around the chest/waist?

I'd appreciate feedback and any pointers to how these bigger fitting casual 50s jackets were originally worn. I haven't really been able to track down any good period accurate examples of this type of jacket as they would have been worn by an average-Joe back in the day. I see a lot of big fitting mass produced "mall jackets" for exemplary physiques.. But is that how people wore casual jackets in the 50s?? What about lean built folks? Did they go for a trim fit or easy/loose at that time?

This forum has been a great source of info. Many thanks to all the contributors.

OnG

9ce3d6093f0e8747ed3be92af8b39bcd.jpg

What does a Vanson Spokane look like? Never seen one! Especially the back?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24