Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Lost Worlds Suburban

vntg60s

New in Town
Hello Everyone.

I’ve been in the market for a new leather jacket and leaning towards a Lost World Suburban. I’m drawn to it because of its simplicity and its one jacket for all occasions purpose. As I’ve researched the jacket, I realize it’s not trim (I am of slender, not “skinny,” build). I’ve been told by Stu to start my order with my suit size. However, I’m concerned that the jacket may feel or appear a little over-sized. I’ve seen some that have been up for sale… the seller will list the size but will also comment that it will also fit 1 size below.

To those of you who own this jacket, what are your thoughts as it pertains to your suit size? Would you have preferred one size below? How does the ounce of the leather affect the fit?

Guppy

I'll Lock Up
I've owned a few Lost Worlds jackets, but not a Suburban. The style does look to me a bit bulky. I can't comment on the sizing question, but it would make me nervous and think twice about ordering, so I appreciate your dilemma.

I'll pull out the two LW jackets I do currently own when I get home and give them a look over for you in case it would help. There's another style I think you might want to consider instead of the suburban.

vntg60s

New in Town
I've owned a few Lost Worlds jackets, but not a Suburban. The style does look to me a bit bulky. I can't comment on the sizing question, but it would make me nervous and think twice about ordering, so I appreciate your dilemma.

I'll pull out the two LW jackets I do currently own when I get home and give them a look over for you in case it would help. There's another style I think you might want to consider instead of the suburban.
Yes I’m afraid of that. It may be too boxy, depending on the size and weight I choose

Guppy

I'll Lock Up
Yes I’m afraid of that. It may be too boxy, depending on the size and weight I choose

So, the two LW jackets I have currently are:

- Buco Rider, in size 42, which I bought from @lina many years ago, which is a motorcycle cafe racer type jacket, with a D-pocket on the chest

- Ryder half-belt in size 44, which I bought from @ton312 . I think if you like the Suburban, the Ryder is the one you might like better if you are a slimmer body type and looking for a more flattering fit.

I also at one time had a LW Raider in goat, which is their take on the G-8 jacket. I liked it, but ended up selling it on, and another Ryder, size 40, in their mid-weight horsehide. Surprisizngly, I found both the 40 and the 44 Ryders fit me well, albeit differently, and ultimately the 44 had the heavier leather and a bit more room to allow for layers in colder weather, so I kept it and sold the 40.

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
Here is my Suburban, it's a 42L stock width at the hem.
It's a bit large at the bottom hem but IMO it get aways with it and doesn't look too bad.
It alows the jacket a lot of versatility, i can wear it with super thick jumpers or a T shirt.
It's a bit of a dad jacket but it's very versatile and easy to wear. (that jacket has zero tapering from pits to hem)

I'm a 41" chest, wear a 42 for everything.

In a perfect world i would have asked this jacket to have the hem tapered in but this was a used jacket.

pqTgReT.jpg

TvP7ZJD.jpg

xHmx4sS.jpg

Here is an example of a jacket that was tapered in and custom made for me, you can see the back is much neater and the hem tighter but it isn't a life changing difference:

5XvvwRe.jpg

And the front:

8e7XZp9.jpg

Edit: if you have any questions i have almost every LW model, happy to answer any question.

Last edited:

vntg60s

New in Town
I proxied the most beautiful suburban for @mendelboaz
Much to my surprise it fit me quite well in a size 42” and I typically wear a 44” in Stu’s stuff
View attachment 457678
This is heavy brown cowhide and it is absolutely gorgeous.
I’ve also had a 44” sub and it fit about the same but was a bit roomier in the

- Buco Rider, in size 42, which I bought from @lina many years ago, which is a motorcycle cafe racer type jacket, with a D-pocket on the chest

- Ryder half-belt in size 44, which I bought from @ton312 . I think if you like the Suburban, the Ryder is the one you might like better if you are a slimmer body type and looking for a more flattering fit.

I also at one time had a LW Raider in goat, which is their take on the G-8 jacket. I liked it, but ended up selling it on, and another Ryder, size 40, in their mid-weight horsehide. Surprisizngly, I found both the 40 and the 44 Ryders fit me well, albeit differently, and ultimately the 44 had the heavier leather and a bit more room to allow for layers in colder weather, so I kept it and sold the 40.
yes, Buco

yes, love the Buco Ryder! The other choice I’ve been thinking about. Agree, probably more flattering then the Suburban on my build. Great pics in color brown 3-3.5 oz posted by @Robbie79. I like the D-pocket on his better than the current Buco Ryders.

vntg60s

New in Town
It's a bit large at the bottom hem but IMO it get aways with it and doesn't look too bad.
It alows the jacket a lot of versatility, i can wear it with super thick jumpers or a T shirt.
It's a bit of a dad jacket but it's very versatile and easy to wear. (that jacket has zero tapering from pits to hem)

In a perfect world i would have asked this jacket to have the hem tapered in but this was a used jacket.

pqTgReT.jpg

TvP7ZJD.jpg

xHmx4sS.jpg

Here is an example of a jacket that was tapered in and custom made for me, you can see the back is much neater and the hem tighter but it isn't a life changing difference:

5XvvwRe.jpg

And the front:

8e7XZp9.jpg

Edit: if you have any questions i have almost every LW model, happy to answer any question.
Well described @Carlos840. The “dad” jacket and fit is something I’m not ready for. Although I love that it’s an easy jacket to wear. I have some apprehension about ordering my size in this style. Yeah, you can get away with it, but slimming it down in your custom jacket makes it more flattering. Helpful post.

vntg60s

New in Town

yes, love the Buco Ryder! The other choice I’ve been thinking about. Agree, probably more flattering then the Suburban on my build. Great pics in color brown 3-3.5 oz posted by @Robbie79. I like the D-pocket on his better than the current Buco Ryders

vntg60s

New in Town
I proxied the most beautiful suburban for @mendelboaz
Much to my surprise it fit me quite well in a size 42” and I typically wear a 44” in Stu’s stuff
View attachment 457678
This is heavy brown cowhide and it is absolutely gorgeous.
I’ve also had a 44” sub and it fit about the same but was a bit roomier in the gut.
Gorgeous jacket indeed. I’m curious to see how the size 44 looks in comparison.

Gorgeous jacket indeed. I’m curious to see how the size 44 looks in comparison.
Unfortunately I don’t have a pick. It was simply less tapered in the waist and maybe 1” longer in the body. I will say I preferred the fit of the 42”. The 44” felt like a tube.

Logician

One of the Regulars
Two LW Suburban horsehide jackets:

One is a 4.5 + oz Green horsehide, size 40R, very stiff, i.e. cardboard stiff; the other is a 4.0+ oz Russet horsehide, lined with sheepskin, size 42R. Both have a main Conmar wire front zipper. A friend of mine picked them up in person at LW's workshop about 20 years ago. The very first leather jackets from LW (or almost).

I also have another Black 4.5 + oz horsehide Suburban with NOS Talon zippers 42R,
two 4.5 oz + horsehide Test, one with NOS Talon zippers (Russett), the other with NOS Crown zippers (Black). The last three jackets are more recent, about 10 years or less. The leather was already beginning to look less plastic-like than at the beginning. Since a year or two LW horsehide is absolutely amazing, the graining, fantastic.

Finally, I also have a Black goatskin 3.5 oz LW COURIER PEA COAT, 42R. Needless to say, I am a big fan of LW.

Attachments

• 2263el5_20.jpg
    2263el5_20.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 120
  • 4964hc7_20.jpg
    4964hc7_20.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 105

Logician

One of the Regulars

pqTgReT.jpg

TvP7ZJD.jpg

xHmx4sS.jpg

5XvvwRe.jpg

And the front:

8e7XZp9.jpg

I have a question for you. I am considering ordering a LW LEATHERTOGS 'A' 4.0 + oz horsehide jacket (with full NOS Crown zippers), similar to yours whose pictures are posted on the LW website. I usually wear a size 42R (Suburban and Test), which is neither too big nor too small, i.e. it allows some room for moderate layering. I also have a size 40R Suburban that fits rather snug, so I can't wear anything but a t-shirt.
Now how does the size 42R compare with these three models? I understand that you wear a 42 (R or L?) in these LW jackets. Should I order a 42R or a 40R? Is the LW LEATHERTOGS 'A' larger or smaller than the 42R Test or Suburban? I am often between two sizes, medium or large, 40R or 42R. A medium large fits me well, while a big large is often too baggy. FYI I am 5'9, weigh 160 pounds, have a 40-41 chest measurement, have an athletic build, a flat stomach and rather long arms. Thank you in advance for your answer.

PS I remember asking you a few years ago if you had provided the measurements of your LW LEATHERTOGS 'A'. You replied that you had not done so. This could really help me.

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
I have a question for you. I am considering ordering a LW LEATHERTOGS 'A' 4.0 + oz horsehide jacket (with full NOS Crown zippers), similar to yours whose pictures are posted on the LW website. I usually wear a size 42R (Suburban and Test), which is neither too big nor too small, i.e. it allows some room for moderate layering. I also have a size 40R Suburban that fits rather snug, so I can't wear anything but a t-shirt.
Now how does the size 42R compare with these three models? I understand that you wear a 42 (R or L?) in these LW jackets. Should I order a 42R or a 40R? Is the LW LEATHERTOGS 'A' larger or smaller than the 42R Test or Suburban? I am often between two sizes, medium or large, 40R or 42R. A medium large fits me well, while a big large is often too baggy. FYI I am 5'9, weigh 160 pounds, have a 40-41 chest measurement, have an athletic build, a flat stomach and rather long arms. Thank you in advance for your answer.

PS I remember asking you a few years ago if you had provided the measurements of your LW LEATHERTOGS 'A'. You replied that you had not done so. This could really help me.

The Leathertogs A is definitely tighter than the Suburban or the Test at equivalent tag size.
Not in a need to size up difference, but noticeably tighter.

My brother is a size 40 in LW, i can put his jackets on but they are too tight to be comfortable, as you say they are T shirt only jackets.

Personally i would order your regular size ie 42 and if you have a big shoulder to waist drop just specifie your hem measurement. That's what i always do, all my custom LW have been specified with 25.5" back and sleeves and 20.5" bottom hem. IMO The variation in pit to pit from model to model is negligible as long as the waist is well fitted.

Do you have fit pics of your Suburban and Test? That would help.

Tom71

Call Me a Cab
I agree on what has been said on the Ryder. It should work well for your physique although it will never be a trim fitting jacket.

Re sizing: I too was worried about oversizing as a lot of LW pictures on the net seem to run pretty large on their wearers.
I told Stu which Key-measurements I was after and he recommended a stock size 42, which is pretty much my go-to size for anything which is not exactly a slim fit.

It worked out pretty well although for slim guys, sleeves and torso may need an extra inch for which Stu will ask a notable upcharge.
My recommendation would be to tell Stu exactly what you want. He is not a man of many words himself, but he does listen, and he sure knows what he’s doing.

Last edited:

Logician

One of the Regulars
The Leathertogs A is definitely tighter than the Suburban or the Test at equivalent tag size.
Not in a need to size up difference, but noticeably tighter.

My brother is a size 40 in LW, i can put his jackets on but they are too tight to be comfortable, as you say they are T shirt only jackets.

Personally i would order your regular size ie 42 and if you have a big shoulder to waist drop just specifie your hem measurement. That's what i always do, all my custom LW have been specified with 25.5" back and sleeves and 20.5" bottom hem. IMO The variation in pit to pit from model to model is negligible as long as the waist is well fitted.

Do you have fit pics of your Suburban and Test? That would help.
Unfortunately, I don't have any good fit pics of my leather jackets (except for a somewhat blurry one). In any case, here is a pic of my black Test and a poor blurred fit pic. I'm a bit shorter than you, but with a similar chest size. Here is a pic of me with Robert Carlyle (on the set of SGU in Vancouver). I'm wearing my 1980s Canadian Army MK II Combat Jacket (Black). As you can see, I am slightly taller than Robert (he was wearing military boot with very high heels). I also attach a fit pic of the SGU combat jacket, if it helps

Thanks for your quick reply. In the end, I think I will follow your advice and order the Leathertog A in size 42R.

Attachments

• LW HH TEST_Bk.jpg
    LW HH TEST_Bk.jpg
    519.6 KB · Views: 119
  • WIN_20180415_13_52_56_Pro.jpg
    WIN_20180415_13_52_56_Pro.jpg
    155.1 KB · Views: 134
  • IMG_5233SGU.jpg
    IMG_5233SGU.jpg
    277 KB · Views: 123
  • IMG_5010.JPG
    IMG_5010.JPG
    831.2 KB · Views: 131

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
Unfortunately, I don't have any good fit pics of my leather jackets (except for a somewhat blurry one). In any case, here is a pic of my black Test and a poor blurred fit pic. I'm a bit shorter than you, but with a similar chest size. Here is a pic of me with Robert Carlyle (on the set of SGU in Vancouver). I'm wearing my 1980s Canadian Army MK II Combat Jacket (Black). As you can see, I am slightly taller than Robert (he was wearing military boot with very high heels). I also attach a fit pic of the SGU combat jacket, if it helps

Thanks for your quick reply. In the end, I think I will follow your advice and order the Leathertog A in size 42R.

Hard to say much from these pics, looks like you might be able to size down on a test/suburban, but i think a size down on a LT/A would end up being very tight.
If you want to keep it versatile i would probably go 42. You might get a better fit in a 40Long, but that would be a much more expensive jacket.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pablosstuff