Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Lost Worlds - what's your leather/ lining preference?

red devil

My Mail is Forwarded Here
but it has me dreaming about the possibilities with studs and jewels.

You can pretty much add studs and others to any of the jackets, so it is something worth discussing with Stuart :)

Very nice Steve. I've barely worn my two Tests yet. Leather looks amazing. BTW I don't wear gloves above 15 degrees Fahrenheit. I live in Montreal and I was in Winnipeg no later than last week. I did not wear gloves. I put my hands in my pockets! Those who complain are "de petites natures" (the faint of heart) who are afraid of the cold!

I spent some time in Montreal years ago, and I was putting my hands in my pockets. Was wearing a polar sweater under a perfecto back then. Worked perfectly well :)

what comes up is that cotton retains heat, while rayon doesn't. I am thinking rayon is the answer here.

No, they're about the same in retaining heat. Or rather, neither will retain heat particularly well.

Anything nylon will make the jacket less breathable thus hotter if the day is already warm. It will make you sweat sooner than the cotton lining. It won't make your jacket any warmer on a cold day, though.

Anything organic (cotton, etc.) will be more breathable thus more comfortable to wear on a warmer day. Not that great in the cold, either.

Quilted, padded lining is the warmest as it's backed with insulated material (usually polyester).

I don't know why people insist that a quilted lining isn't warm. It's thicker, there's more material to it. Logic dictates it will be warmer and it is. I've worn countless jackets over many cold winters and in my experience, anything that had quilted and insulated lining proved to be the warmest. Lost Worlds, Vanson Model E, you name it.

Stuart will tell you the same thing, actually as I asked not a long ago.

I think the LW quilted lining is warm, just that in my experience it is not noticeably warmer than LWs heavyweight satin lining.

Hh121

Banned
No, they're about the same in retaining heat. Or rather, neither will retain heat particularly well.

Anything nylon will make the jacket less breathable thus hotter if the day is already warm. It will make you sweat sooner than the cotton lining. It won't make your jacket any warmer on a cold day, though.

Anything organic (cotton, etc.) will be more breathable thus more comfortable to wear on a warmer day. Not that great in the cold, either.

Quilted, padded lining is the warmest as it's backed with insulated material (usually polyester).

I don't know why people insist that a quilted lining isn't warm. It's thicker, there's more material to it. Logic dictates it will be warmer and it is. I've worn countless jackets over many cold winters and in my experience, anything that had quilted and insulated lining proved to be the warmest. Lost Worlds, Vanson Model E, you name it.

Stuart will tell you the same thing, actually as I asked not a long ago.
Vanson quilted lining is thicker than LW, at least in my experience.

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
I think the LW quilted lining is warm, just that in my experience it is not noticeably warmer than LWs heavyweight satin lining.

Same, i'm not saying it's not warm, i'm saying it's not noticeably warmer than heavy wool tartan.
I't definitely warmer than cotton drill or the rayon i have in my ELMC, but it i don't find it "so warm it is unwearable most of the year" like some people say it its.
The heavy rayon in my DD J-100 is far warmer and much "sweatyer" to wear although it isn't quilted.
I hate wearing that thing, it feels like wearing a bin bag.

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
I had the Rayon lining in the Easy Ryder I owned, and it was alledgedly backed with cotton (never saw it so I don't actually know). The J23 and the Easy Ryder were at my place at the same time, so I wore them back to back several times. The Easy Ryder with Rayon, verses the J23 with Quilted - the J23 was noticably warmer.

I moved them both on, as honestly they were a little too hardcore for me, they just really did not have much for personality. I have gotten spoiled by other jackets that much more easily molded and shaped to my body, and really became like a second skin. Both these LW's while fantastic jackets in thier own right, were just not my "favorites." Hope that helps.

Last edited:

rmconner80

Familiar Face
I've got two Ryders, otherwise identical except one has quilted lining and the other stock nylon lining. The quilted one feels significantly warmer to me. The former with the quilted lining gets about 90 days of wear a year, the latter probably 20 days.

I've determined that I get a lot more use out of a warm jacket than one that is not warm ...because I wear a jacket when it is cold out. Seem tautological but there it is. Probably also has to do with the fact that it's either winter or summer here, spring lasts about a week and fall maybe three weeks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy