Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Lost Worlds - what's your leather/ lining preference?

antoine p

One of the Regulars
What makeups have you tried?
What makeups have you kept?
What temperatures do you wear yours in?

I'm looking for a jacket I can wear on a daily basis for many years. Lost Worlds attracts me most of all the makers I've looked into, but I have limited experience handling leather and am unsure what weights and linings are suitable for different climates and seasons.

I really appreciate all that I've learned reading the forum the last couple of months and have registered an account to ask for advice.

What do you recommend?

El Marro

My Mail is Forwarded Here
antoine,
Welcome to the Lounge!
I do not have as much experience with Lost Worlds as some here but I’ll share what I do know. I own an LW CHP made with his heavy 4 oz + horsehide and the standard nylon satin lining. This is one of my favorite jackets and I have tried to wear it in temperatures from the mid 30s up to the high 60s. I have the snap on mouton collar so the jacket is nice and toasty at the lower temperature range as long as I have a vest or warm shirt on underneath. It is practically impermeable as a windbreaker and damn near waterproof as well! At the warmer temps it is a bit much and the heavy black leather absorbs the sun rather quickly.
If you are looking for a daily wearer I would recommend that you avoid the heavy horsehide and go with something lighter. I recently ordered another LW jacket but this time in 3.5 oz horsehide.
What models are you looking at from LW? The style and cut of the jacket should certainly be taken into consideration when choosing the leather as well.

thor

Call Me a Cab
I’ve owned several LW jackets over the years and always went with the standard lining (flight satin nylon in a Suburban and a Raider, cotton twill in an A-2, rayon in a G-1).
All have served me well.
The quilted fight satin lining that @ton312 mentioned does sound good tho!
Perhaps on my next LW I’ll opt for that.

antoine p

One of the Regulars
antoine,
Welcome to the Lounge!
Thank you! And thank you for your reply.

I own an LW CHP made with his heavy 4 oz + horsehide and the standard nylon satin lining. This is one of my favorite jackets and I have tried to wear it in temperatures from the mid 30s up to the high 60s. I have the snap on mouton collar so the jacket is nice and toasty at the lower temperature range as long as I have a vest or warm shirt on underneath. It is practically impermeable as a windbreaker and damn near waterproof as well! At the warmer temps it is a bit much and the heavy black leather absorbs the sun rather quickly.
If you are looking for a daily wearer I would recommend that you avoid the heavy horsehide and go with something lighter. I recently ordered another LW jacket but this time in 3.5 oz horsehide.
This makes sense... good to know that even with what I assume is a light satin lining the 4+ oz begins to feel uncomfortable in warmer temperatures. How long have you had your jacket for, do you feel it's broken in? Which model did you go with for the new jacket and how did you decide on the 3.5oz leather?

What models are you looking at from LW? The style and cut of the jacket should certainly be taken into consideration when choosing the leather as well.
There are so many models that I'm interested in. I would say that at the top of my list are the Roadmaster, G-1, Raider and Ryder. Beyond that I like the 60s Police Leather, Test, Rigger and Suburban. Strada, Bedford...

jonbuilder

Lost Worlds is renowned for there 4+ oz horsehide so that is what I went for in a motorcycle jacket Trojan I did not but new but the original owner order the heavest hide in stock Brown HH. The stain nylon lining appears that it will hold up a long time

J Leather Investigater

One Too Many
Your heading in the right direction. Lost worlds is my personal favorite, ive handled/tried some of the best out there, anyway back to buissness. A good everyday jacket from l.w. imo would be a rugged civilian such as, suburban or ryder in 3.5 with the lining it comes standard with the silky satin flight nylon. The 3.5 leather is heavy enough, waterproof, pretty much anything proof. Thats what i love about l.w. throw it on and go, no worries about scratching/tearing a 1000 plus jacket. That satin flight lining is tough and silky. You can wear it in 60 degrees with a t shirt, or 30 degree with a t shirt and button down and be good. Take your time and look at the l.w. page, anything with easy access hand warmer pockets and a chest pocket, with one inside snap pocket is very convenient. Be advised that the test is an awsome jacket and good everyday option however the cotton duck 15oz lining it comes with takes just as long to break in as the leather does, it does soften get comfortable eventually but is warmer (alot warmer) than the flight nylon that comes in the ryder. Also consider getting the #10 crown main for zipper, its +250 but well worth it you will love it. I have it in all 3 of my l.w. jacket. Really a nice option.

antoine p

One of the Regulars
I’ve owned several LW jackets over the years and always went with the standard lining (flight satin nylon in a Suburban and a Raider, cotton twill in an A-2, rayon in a G-1).
All have served me well.
Thanks thor. Looking through TFL it seems you are a G-1 aficionado. What range of temperatures do you wear them in, and when do you consider it too hot for that model?
Do you know what weight your Suburban leather is? How does it compare to the goatskin Raider and G-1? Is it much, much heavier?
And how would you characterize the difference between the satin on your Raider and the rayon on your G-1?

antoine p

One of the Regulars
Your heading in the right direction. Lost worlds is my personal favorite, ive handled/tried some of the best out there, anyway back to buissness. A good everyday jacket from l.w. imo would be a rugged civilian such as, suburban or ryder in 3.5 with the lining it comes standard with the silky satin flight nylon. The 3.5 leather is heavy enough, waterproof, pretty much anything proof. Thats what i love about l.w. throw it on and go, no worries about scratching/tearing a 1000 plus jacket. That satin flight lining is tough and silky. You can wear it in 60 degrees with a t shirt, or 30 degree with a t shirt and button down and be good. Take your time and look at the l.w. page, anything with easy access hand warmer pockets and a chest pocket, with one inside snap pocket is very convenient. Be advised that the test is an awsome jacket and good everyday option however the cotton duck 15oz lining it comes with takes just as long to break in as the leather does, it does soften get comfortable eventually but is warmer (alot warmer) than the flight nylon that comes in the ryder. Also consider getting the #10 crown main for zipper, its +250 but well worth it you will love it. I have it in all 3 of my l.w. jacket. Really a nice option.
Excellent, this is all helpful. Glad to hear you've been happy with your jackets. Thanks a lot John!
I'm surprised. 30º with just a button down and a t-shirt beneath... these jackets must be warmer than I thought.

J Leather Investigater

One Too Many
Excellent, this is all helpful. Glad to hear you've been happy with your jackets. Thanks a lot John!
I'm surprised. 30º with just a button down and a t-shirt beneath... these jackets must be warmer than I thought.
I do steadily move on my job, driving a 26ft box truck to different locations and when im not driving im carrying heavy furniture and it might me a sleeper sofa up 3 flights, so on a 32 degree day a t an button down works great for me under a l.w. with nylon flight lining, if im wearing my test i may have to take off that t and just do a button down!

Logician

One of the Regulars
I've got six LW jackets: 3 Suburban, 2 Test and 1 Courier.

Like @thor, I usually choose the standard lining.

2 Suburban have the standard nylon flight satin lining, one has a sheepskin liner (see picture). Obviously, the Suburban with the sheepskin liner is much warmer. Suburban are all 4.0 oz HH.

My 2 Test have a cotton twill lining, which is a bit warmer than the nylon IMO. My Test are 4.5 oz HH.

Cotton is a more breathable fabric than nylon. IMO that's the main difference. Another important point to take into account is that when it is very cold (I live in Montreal) the leather tends to become stiff, which is not very comfortable. Leather is not a very good insulator. Neither nylon nor cotton will keep you warm in those conditions. In this case, it is better to wear a parka. Thus I don't wear my Suburban with the sheepskin liner very much during the winter. A few weeks in late fall and early spring. That's all.

I choose nylon for my Courier's lining. In retrospect, maybe I should have chosen a warmer fabric such as Alpaca for that particular design. But since there is plenty of room for layering, I can wear a thick submariner wool sweater or a thick jeans jacket under it. It does the job and keeps me warm. For the Courier I choose 3.0 oz Goatskin which, I have to say, I find quite "thin", being accustomed to wearing 4.0 oz + HH jackets/coats. But it's just my personal preference.
4964hc7_20.jpg

El Marro

How long have you had your jacket for, do you feel it's broken in? Which model did you go with for the new jacket and how did you decide on the 3.5oz leather?
I have had my CHP since last May and I would say it is close to broken in. Wearing it while out walking in a couple steady downpours helped a lot. That is also how I came to know that the jacket is practically waterproof, I once walked for 40 minutes in the rain and when I got home I was dry. It still has a little ways to go but it is comfortable to wear now and that is saying something considering that it is an 8 pound jacket!
My new jacket will be a Ryder. I decided on the 3.5 oz horsehide based on photos I’ve seen here and from reading feedback from guys who own jackets made from this hide. For the new jacket I wanted something a little easier wearing that would also drape better right from the beginning. Out of all the leather jackets I own I do not have a basic black half belt and that is what the Ryder will be.

red devil

Said much better than I ever could :D
My most used jacket from LW is the Suburban, it is 3.5oz with the standard lining. I would just add that you should also consider the difference in the fit, the Ryder tends to be trimmer at the waist than the Suburban in the same size to my knowledge (don't own a Ryder).
Also, keep in my mind that, different people have different body heat, so that would affect in which temperatures you can wear it.

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
Here is the review of my LW:

https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/lost-worlds-j-23-review-evo.98274/

I have quite a few jackets from different makers and LW has shot straight to number 1 for me.
IMO they are the some of the best jackets available, the only non japanese maker to offer japanese level of construction/craftsmanship but with patterns that are more addapted to bigger taller people.

Currently i only have experience with 3.5oz, but i have a 4.0oz on order and would love to also get something in 4.5oz down the road just to see what it is like.
The 3.5oz is a great everyday leather, and although the quilted lining has been described here as "too warm to be used often" i disagree, i have worn my J-23 a lot and i think that lether liner combo works great as a fall/winter/early spring jacket.

I don't think you can go wrong with whatever you decide to chose, whatever it is you will most likely want another one with a different leather or different lining after a while....

thor

Call Me a Cab
Thanks thor. Looking through TFL it seems you are a G-1 aficionado. What range of temperatures do you wear them in, and when do you consider it too hot for that model?
Do you know what weight your Suburban leather is? How does it compare to the goatskin Raider and G-1? Is it much, much heavier?
And how would you characterize the difference between the satin on your Raider and the rayon on your G-1?
The flight satin nylon is thicker than the rayon in the G-1. I like both tho.
For colder weather I layer under my jackets with a fleece vest or a cashmere/wool sweater. Even a thin goose down vest can be worn under a leather jacket (the goose down compresses well).
The Suburban I had about 10 years ago and was a 44; I sold it afew years back and now a size 46 is my optimal size. It was 3.5 oz horse (if I recall correctly) and my goatskin Raider, tho more flexible, felt almost as thick/heavy (the LW goatskin is a very substantial hide).
I wear my LW G-1 much of the time and can wear it for most of the weather we get here in the NYC area (except of course during the summer months).

sweetfights

Said much better than I ever could :D
My most used jacket from LW is the Suburban, it is 3.5oz with the standard lining. I would just add that you should also consider the difference in the fit, the Ryder tends to be trimmer at the waist than the Suburban in the same size to my knowledge (don't own a Ryder).
Also, keep in my mind that, different people have different body heat, so that would affect in which temperatures you can wear it.

Right on with the Ryder being trimmer at the waist. I purchased a Suburban and Ryder at the same time, same size,
and the Ryder is trimmer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy