Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What is your favourite lining? Post pictures!

mvilla

A-List Customer
Great idea for a thread.

You made find this post I did some time back of interest - I cover some thoughts on the pros and cons of various linings (weight, weave, material) as part of a vintage jacket refurb I did…

https://www.thefedoralounge.com/thr...-bike-jacket-refurb-and-relining-tips.104074/

Warning it’s rather long!
Mate, that is an amazing post! So much info that I was curious about is there as an open book. Several technical info well explained. Brilliant

photo2u

Call Me a Cab
Great idea for a thread.

You made find this post I did some time back of interest - I cover some thoughts on the pros and cons of various linings (weight, weave, material) as part of a vintage jacket refurb I did…

https://www.thefedoralounge.com/thr...-bike-jacket-refurb-and-relining-tips.104074/

Warning it’s rather long!
Your article is excellent. Thank you for taking the time to write such a detailed jacket reconstruction. That jacket is so very nice. It reminds me of a Vanson I currently have. The hide is basically the same as one cool jacket I restored some time ago. Here are some of the images before cleaning. This jacket was a true motorcyclist jacket. The smell tells the story.

back.jpg
lining.jpg
front.jpg

Nacho

Practically Family
That’s exactly right. Most of my jackets are heavy so noodled hangars is my attempt at distributing the weight a bit.

Out of all the old jackets I’ve owned or handled, this particular Fidelity is my favorite. Not all have the red undertone like this one. But no, it hasn’t developed much b/c I don’t wear it on the bike. Maybe I should- puttering around on honey-do missions or pub crawls ain’t cutting it.
I might give this a try. I also use the wide ends hangers, but the middle part of them is a little narrow. So the shoulders of the jacket isn't "full" there.

Fidelity is such a underrated maker. I have a 70s cafe racer from them. And the fit is spot on, not too long yet short enough for my stocky 5'8 175lbs frame. The cowhide is real nice and grainy. It's also soft and supple that it's easy to wear the jacket.

However, I think this is the last of the quality leather that Fidelity used. I've heard that their 80s 90s leather isn't that good anymore.

tempImageOhtOTg.jpg

tempImageGN8iP9.jpg

Last edited:
I might give this a try. I also use the wide ends hangers, but the middle part of them is a little narrow. So the shoulders of the jacket isn't "full" there.

Fidelity is such a underrated maker. I have a 70s cafe racer from them. And the fit is spot on, not too long yet short enough for my stocky 5'8 175lbs frame. The cowhide is real nice and grainy. It's also soft and supple that it's easy to wear the jacket.

However, I think this is the last of the quality leather that Fidelity used. I've heard that their 80s leather isn't that good anymore.

View attachment 529907
View attachment 529908

Yep, a slightly longer and form fitting vintage MC cut.

That’s a very nice CR.

Albe64

One of the Regulars
Frankly, in my whole wardrobe (which is kind of huge) this is the best lining ever....old fashioned and (most of all) woollen....When we talk about lining, IMHO there is no competition between natural fibers (wool on top of all) and artificial ones...and if it has to be "silky" then let's go for silk, which I use a lot in my bespoke suits.

H5.jpg

mvilla

A-List Customer
Frankly, in my whole wardrobe (which is kind of huge) this is the best lining ever....old fashioned and (most of all) woollen....When we talk about lining, IMHO there is no competition between natural fibers (wool on top of all) and artificial ones...and if it has to be "silky" then let's go for silk, which I use a lot in my bespoke suits.

View attachment 530058
I saw on your sale post that this is a blend of wool, linen, and cotton, right? How the blend compares to, say, a lightweight lochcarron, as those used by Aero? How's the warmth? And weight? How's the feel of it?

Albe64

One of the Regulars
I saw on your sale post that this is a blend of wool, linen, and cotton, right? How the blend compares to, say, a lightweight lochcarron, as those used by Aero? How's the warmth? And weight? How's the feel of it?
These kind of mixed fibers have a "dry hand"...the touch is drier than a 100% wool....and the capability of generate warm is less, of course. Aeros usually, in my experience, are always on the warmer side compare to this. Better or worse? At the end, everything is a matter of personal tastes and preferences!

Last edited:

mvilla

A-List Customer
These kind of mixed fibers have a "drier hand"...the touch is drier than a 100% wool....and the capability of generate warm is less, of course. Aeros usually, in my experience, are always on the warmer side compare to this. Better or worse? At the end, everything is a matter of personal tastes and preferences!
Cool! I ask because Lochcarron have a series of blended wool cloths, and I wonder how they'd feel... Good info, thanks!

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
I'm curious about corduroy lining, I think it would feel nice and if positioned accordingly like vertical wales on the sleeve and body, and horizontal on the cuff and yoke.

Brandrea33

One Too Many
I'm curious about corduroy lining, I think it would feel nice and if positioned accordingly like vertical wales on the sleeve and body, and horizontal on the cuff and yoke.
It would definitely have a cozy feel, but might be difficult to move in and out of with a sweater. You want to line the sleeves with something smooth IMO.

AHP91

Practically Family
Looks comfy, what is it?
I assumed it was some sort of wool, but I could be wrong. Someone more informed than I would have a better answer for the materials used in these late 1940s jackets.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner