Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What is your favourite lining? Post pictures!

TartuWolf

Practically Family
Question about linings in terms of taking the jacket on and off / slipping in or out.
How much do you feel that the body lining contributes in this aspect as opposed to the sleeve lining?
Obviously sleeve lining makes most of the difference, but does the body lining make any difference in this regard?

Brandrea33

One Too Many
Question about linings in terms of taking the jacket on and off / slipping in or out.
How much do you feel that the body lining contributes in this aspect as opposed to the sleeve lining?
Obviously sleeve lining makes most of the difference, but does the body lining make any difference in this regard?
I agree with @handymike the sleeves do make the biggest difference, but depending on what you’re wearing (wool sweater for example), the body also plays a part.

TartuWolf

Practically Family
I know this is more of a "share your favorite lining" thread, but I'll use it as a lining thread in general :)
As I haven't had enough jackets myself to provide any real opinion I'll just ask one more question:
What about unlined jackets?
Apart from the warmth aspect, what are the upsides and downsides of going unlined?
Sticking to the skin if worn with a t-shirt?
Jacket holds structure not as well?
Not able to change / renew the lining for a fresh feel?
Jacket seams potentially digging into the body more?

Now that I have a jacket without a liner, I can say that pocket bags are an issue. If the jacket is designed to be un-lined, hopefully the maker has figured out how to hide or minimize hanging pieces of extra fabric. I don’t mind the feel of the roughout side on my skin.

TartuWolf

Practically Family
@handymike
You mean outer (handwarmer / chest pockets) pockets?
Hanging inside like sacks with the only attachment being the outside opening?
For inner pockets I would imagine leather on leather patch pockets.

Some of mine— LW Satin my favorite. Tough, comfortable and easy to take off.

IMG_3531.jpeg
IMG_3523.jpeg
IMG_3524.jpeg
IMG_3525.jpeg
IMG_3522.jpeg
IMG_3521.jpeg
IMG_3514.jpeg
IMG_3515.jpeg
IMG_3516.jpeg
IMG_3519.jpeg

Brandrea33

One Too Many
I forgot to mention- I am the 3d owner of the Regius and did not spec that lining. Regius has impeccable taste and talent.
Tell me more … have I been living under a rock?
is this our own compatriot Regius ?

Tell me more … have I been living under a rock?
is this our own compatriot Regius ?
It is and he is an absolute master of vintage pattern reproduction. He based my Windward:
IMG_4427.jpeg

IMG_3585.jpeg
IMG_3582.jpeg

Off this original, owned by @Marc mndt:
IMG_9105.jpeg

Having handled the original, I can say Reg did an absolutely stellar job. I have sent him another jacket to copy in my size:, hat I believe is an old Herc:
IMG_1749.jpeg

I’ve been patient, not bugging him about the second jacket. But I think it’s time to start nagging.

Brandrea33

One Too Many
It is and he is an absolute master of vintage pattern reproduction. He based my Windward:
View attachment 529752
View attachment 529754 View attachment 529755
View attachment 529753
Having handled the original, I can say Reg did an absolutely stellar job. I have sent him another jacket to copy in my size:, hat I believe is an old Herc:
View attachment 529756
I’ve been patient, not bugging him about the second jacket. But I think it’s time to start nagging.
Absolutely stunning! Thank you for sharing your @regius with me and everyone else who may have been unaware. It does look perfect on you!

Johnny Deadlifts

A-List Customer
View attachment 529752
View attachment 529754 View attachment 529755
View attachment 529753
View attachment 529756
Yes, please do, he's starting my next jacket when he's done yours:)

Interesting hangers, @JMax . Do you use the wide ends hangers and put pool noodle in the middle to fill up the shoulders?

Beautiful fidelity btw. Has yours developed any red undertone yet?

That’s exactly right. Most of my jackets are heavy so noodled hangars is my attempt at distributing the weight a bit.

Out of all the old jackets I’ve owned or handled, this particular Fidelity is my favorite. Not all have the red undertone like this one. But no, it hasn’t developed much b/c I don’t wear it on the bike. Maybe I should- puttering around on honey-do missions or pub crawls ain’t cutting it.

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
Now that I have a jacket without a liner, I can say that pocket bags are an issue. If the jacket is designed to be un-lined, hopefully the maker has figured out how to hide or minimize hanging pieces of extra fabric. I don’t mind the feel of the roughout side on my skin.
Leather lined hand pockets sewn into the shell. I’m also getting used to the suede feel on skin it actually smooths out after a few wears, but the sleeves still can benefit from a thin lining.
IMG_8071.jpeg
IMG_8070.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner