Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What is your favourite lining? Post pictures!

Goel

A-List Customer
I can agree with others that I prefer natural materials over synthetics for breathability alone, though I haven't found a favorite yet. Maybe it's just my imagination, but on the jackets I've had with a synthetic slippery sleeve lining I always feel like my arms get too warm after a while... meanwhile on my jacket that has a full cotton liner including the arms, they feel fine. I've been trying to look for a cotton satin that has that same kind of texture for the best of both worlds.

I've been going back and forth on giving Lost Worlds a try but I'm not sure on having a full nylon liner, and the alternatives are probably another huge upcharge. Although from what others have said it's supposed to be really good.

Anyone ever given linen or hemp a try? Supposedly tougher than cotton and still very breathable, though they both tend to get wrinkly so I'm not sure how they would look, maybe best for a lighter jacket.

zebedee

One Too Many
First is a Cornish tartan from Locharron:
WhatsApp Image 2023-07-10 at 11.27.10.jpeg

Then Troy blanket lining in a 1920 Work Coat. The lining faces outward on the collar:

WhatsApp Image 2023-07-10 at 11.27.31.jpeg

And lastly is another Loch Carron tartan - Scrimegour Ancient:

WhatsApp Image 2023-07-10 at 11.27.31 (1).jpeg

The Cornish tartan in the Highwayman is definitely the favourite lining out of the three - it's never gotten a hole in it. My other Aeros have cotton drill lining in red, olive and brown. The drill is plainest but also consistently really durable.

Last edited:

Albe64

One of the Regulars
I can agree with others that I prefer natural materials over synthetics for breathability alone, though I haven't found a favorite yet. Maybe it's just my imagination, but on the jackets I've had with a synthetic slippery sleeve lining I always feel like my arms get too warm after a while... meanwhile on my jacket that has a full cotton liner including the arms, they feel fine. I've been trying to look for a cotton satin that has that same kind of texture for the best of both worlds.

I've been going back and forth on giving Lost Worlds a try but I'm not sure on having a full nylon liner, and the alternatives are probably another huge upcharge. Although from what others have said it's supposed to be really good.

Anyone ever given linen or hemp a try? Supposedly tougher than cotton and still very breathable, though they both tend to get wrinkly so I'm not sure how they would look, maybe best for a lighter jacket.
I am afraid that 100% linen or 100% hemp would be too "sticky" or "grippy" (sorry for my poor english) as they have a very coarse texture... For sleeves' lining I'd like to try a natural fiber mixed with silk, which is really nice and smooth but a little fragile when used alone (my bespoke suits are all lined with pure silk)

Last edited:

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up

I have the linen hemp type lining in my Jelado jacket. On the skin it feels very similar to unlined jacket (flesh side inside). I would almost skip the linen hemp and just go unlined, but with nylons in the sleeves.

You're right that polyester based lining will get too warm after a while, think Uniqlo heat tech. A lot of polyester blends are being marketed as Rayon or Nylon but they're not quite there. Both Rayon and Nylon will have distinctive grooves weaves in the fabric, like worsted wool. Poly is more like fake cotton. If going synthetic always go for the ones that looks like it has grooves weaves, they're very breathable. (3rd pic at the bottom, blow up to see the weaves)

IMG_3129.JPG

IMG_4896.JPG

IMG_7492.JPG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner