Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Loungers' Pets

carebear

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Fleur De Guerre said:
Inigo and Fezzik spotted a bug flying round the room the other day, and both jumped onto the cat tree to watch it!

How do you tell them apart?

On a name-related note, a local theatre just showed The Princess Bride on the big screen. I hadn't seen it like that since it first came out.

A lot of fun. Scratches on the print, a few blips on the soundtrack and some splicer at some point did something that caused the first minute of Inigo's stabbing scene to play and then play again. Like "Grindhouse", but funny and sweet.

Daisy Buchanan

Fleur your kitties are so cute, and beautiful. I just love their poise and the looks on their faces. I've seen cats that look a lot alike, but your kitties are identical twins!!! So lovely!

I think it's time to take Lily, my British short hair, to the vet. She has recently gained even more weight. I wouldn't be surprised if she weighed 30 pounds!! She is so big, I can barely pick her up. It looks like she's having trouble getting around too:( Any pudgy kitty can be very cute, and she does have the sweetest personality. She's so affectionate, and she talks too, a lot lately. She loves to get her gigantic tummy rubbed. She'll stretch out on her back and spread out all four paws and purr so loudly. However, she now snores louder than any human I have ever heard. So loudly, she startles herself and wakes herself up. I think this has to do with her size. I rarely give her treats, and I feed her low calorie food, but she just keeps getting bigger. I'm starting to get concerned because I heard that 2 extra pounds on a cat is like 20 on a human, and she's got a lot more than 2 extra pounds. I know she is at risk for heart problems and diabetes, but other than buying her a mini treadmill, I just don't know what to do for her any more:(

Martina

One of the Regulars
Runs with the BIG dogs!

Here's our little 'nipper'... literally!
We had a Great Dane for 10-1/2 years, Samson, who was calm, sedate and the just the apple or our eyes. So when he passed, we were afraid to get another, even though we love that breed, for fear of always comparing the two.
What did we do then? We went to about the furthest end of the spectrum, in the other direction, and got a German Shepherd. He's a rescue dog from a woman that gave up over 50 of them, all pure breeds. It seems she bred them and they all didn't sell..... so since the puppies sell best, she bred some more. On and on it went, until she had a yard full: hungry, neglected, deprived of human attention and all having no idea what fun and toys were! We got him when he was just 4 months old. It took him months before he would stop hiding in the corner of the kitchen!!! He's like velcro to me though.. wherever I go, he's right beside me.

Our Zeus Armstrong turns 1 next week. We adore him but I think we're going to have some special help to stop him from nipping everything and everyone in sight! I can't believe how that dog nips and it doesn't even matter what it is... a hanging sleeve, a shoe lace, a side tag - The rest of the family has nicknamed him the SHARK :( He is wonderfully sweet though and extremely loyal!
-Could anyone have warned me about the shedding though? Who knew!
Ahh well, everything tastes better with a little cat/dog hair on it right?

I'm sure eventually we'll work out the nipping thing; the shedding, I'm not so sure about!

This is Zeus Armstrong: He's sable colored like a wolf.
This was taken the day we got him, so he is 4 months old here.
DSC00517.jpg

And this is our Samson, taken last Christmas 2 months before he died, with our youngest boy.
It still makes me meloncholy to see him....
Dsc06073.jpg

Daisy Buchanan

Martina, your Zeus is so handsome!!! I'm sorry about the nipping problem, but the way you explain it makes it sound cute!:eek: It's so sad to hear about how he started his life, but wonderful to know that he is now is a home filled with love. What a great looking pup, and your children are adorable!!!
Samson was quite the handsome dog too. I know what it's like to look at pictures of a past dog and get melancholy. My Carmina passed almost a year ago. She was an incredible dog. Many of the loungers knew that she was Hemingway Jones' dog, but I knew her since she was 6, I lived with her for quite a few years, and cared for her as if she were my own.. She also took great care of me, especially when I got sick. She was a constant companion, always willing to cuddle and give love. I'm still not used to waking up in the morning and not seeing her asleep in her dog bed at the foot of my bed. She was loyal and smart and so loving. She made a lot of blue days better for me. I was very lucky to have had her in my life, and I'm not bragging, but I think both myself and Hemingway Jones gave her quite the amazing life. She certainly was spoiled rotten. But, with a face and personality like hers, I found it impossible to say no to her! Ugh! Sorry to get so darn sentimental!! I just found these pictures on a card in my old camera that I haven't used in over a year. A bit sad to find pictures of Mina, but it was also a nice surprise to come across such a cute picture of her that I never knew I had. It's a bit eerie too, for the 1 year anniversary of her passing is in a few weeks, strange to come across something like this.
I think that they are cute pictures. I don't recall ever torturing my Lily cat by putting a pink Boston Red Sox hat on her head! I must have been incredibly bored the night I took these!!

happyfilmluvguy

Call Me a Cab
Ol' big brown eyes

bigbrowneyes.jpg

He's my mom's. Here's his film DEBUT. :) More fierce than Godzilla ain't no exaggeration either.

and to comment Paddy's dogs, they may be German, but that is the Irish mob if I ever saw it. Give them some newsboys and they'll hit the mattresses.
Dogphotos088.jpg

Martina

One of the Regulars
Daisy, I LOVE that picture of Lily! I think cats are so neat! I had one when I was younger but as I grew up, I became allergic to them, so no more cats for me.

I'll share my favorite cat story with all you other F.L. animal lovers; it's a little long but I think it's really a good one!

Two years ago a family behind us moved, leaving their little kitty behind. I noticed this little gray and white cat in my back yard that went running to the children whenever they were out. I also noticed that she was very young and very thin... so of course, I grabbed some of my dog's food and put a little bowl out for her. As I said, I'm allergic, so there was NO way that we could take her in. Next thing I know, whenever we would go out and come back home, who would come running to us but the little gray and white kitty. This went on for a few weeks... then one evening in the fall, I heard a noise on our front porch and opened up the blinds to see what it was. I found the most heartbreaking sight; the little kitty was sitting up on a box we had out there, trying to peer inside :(

I knew from that point on that I had to find her a home. We live in the snow belt in upstate New York and with the cold nights we were having, I knew that it wouldn't be much longer and she would die outside. We thought about taking her to the SPCA but since she wasn't a baby kitten, I figured they would end up putting her to sleep. We were just beside ourselves, trying to decide how to save her life. Then it came to me...

My father lives in New Jersey and he is an avid cat lover but his cat of 13 years had just died of feline leukemia a year earlier and I knew he and his wife were still grieving but I decided to take a chance! I called my father and his wife answered... she said NO but let me speak to my Dad. He pretty much said the same thing but I made him promise to think about it. Then I asked him if I could email him a picture of the cat (I just happened to have a nice little collage all ready for emailing ;) ).

The next day the phone rang. It was my father and he said, "So, how is MY cat?" He made me promise to get the cat checked for feline leukemia and we made plans for he and his wife to drive up to New York to get his new cat.

Well, now that I knew that cat was going to belong to my father, I didn't dare have anything happen to her, so of course we took her in. One week later my father and wife came to pick her up. By that time, I had been to the Emergency Room and put on Steroids to combat the allergic reactions I was having, from keeping the cat in the house!! At one point when my dad and wife were at the house, I went into the spare bedroom to talk with his wife and found her crying... she said, "She really needs us and that's the important thing." I knew from that moment on that this cat had found a new family!

The leukemia test was negative and my father brought the cat home.
They then brought her to their vet for a check up and found that she had a severe upper respiratory infection, from having been outside in the cold damp nights. They also found out that she was pregnant but decided that because of her health, they would have to terminate the pregnancies. THEN it turned out that she was anemic and couldn't risk aborting the kittens!

So here is my dad.... he has a PhD in biochemestery; he's a scientist. He's serious, stern and all together not humored easily. It comes time for the cat to have her litter and my father, Mr. Serious, has gloves, forecepts, gauze, cotton swabs, towels and just about everything else you can imagine, at the ready. The birthing goes just fine, until the last and fouth kitten, which my father had to help along. At the end, he had one grown cat and four kittens, for a total of FIVE cats, instead of the one he came up here for, a couple of months ago! Sounds funny right?

THEN the nursing mommy develops a severe mammary infection and has to be hospitalized at the vet and my father has to take over feeding all the kittens, EVERY FOUR HOURS! AND... normally the mother cat would lick the kittens' nether regions to stimulate them to go to the bathroom and then she would clean them up. THIS little chore also falls to my father!!!!!!! (I asked him how it felt to be a nursing mother -he barely laughed lol ) Once that mommy cat came home, she was still so tender that she couldn't feed the kittens, so my dad continued his 'chores' until he could wean them (which you know came none too soon).

My father and wife had planned to find good homes for all the kittens but after giving away one (and making the new owners promise to let them cat-sit whenever they went out of town), they were so heart broken, that they never parted with another one!!

So now my dad and wife have 4 cats and they absolutely adore them! I asked them to come for a visit not too long ago but they turned me down, saying that they couldn't leave the cats for that long of a trip :eek:

It was a long story but I hope worth it...

Martina

One of the Regulars
CHEAP Kitty & Doggy Diet

Lilly, I almost forgot to tell you!
I read at the rescue place where we got our dog (GSRCNY.org) that you can suppliment 2 cups a day of plain packed canned pumpkin in dog food, to help them diet. I would maybe ask your vet what he/she thinks about it. It's certainly inexpensive enough, compared to diet cat food!

Pina Bridgette

One of the Regulars
Tried to take a few family photos recently and found a much more willing (captive?) subject in my cat, Pudding:

pudding1.jpg

pudding2.jpg

Need to get a much better picture sometime but allow me to introduce my sister's dog, Bogart:

bogart.jpg

Daisy Buchanan

Pina, our cats are twins!! When this page first came up and I saw the pictures without seeing who posted them I thought to myself "I don't remember posting those pictures of Lily"! It's almost eerie how much they look alike. The only difference is my Lily's nose is pink. I have a few pictures of her laying down in the exact same way, I just have to load them onto my computer.
Both your pets are lovely, and that Bogart is a real handsome pup!

Quigly that is such a great picture of Arizona! Looks like he's got a great personality, very sweet!!

Jovan

Suspended
My last experience with ducks was years ago, when we would feed the ones that came by on my grandparent's lake. There was a beach there, so they'd just come ashore for some feed. Some of them would even let you pet them.

Clarke

New in Town
Jovan said:
My last experience with ducks was years ago, when we would feed the ones that came by on my grandparent's lake. There was a beach there, so they'd just come ashore for some feed. Some of them would even let you pet them.

Quite true, any person who gives attention to their animals will turn out to be very friendly, and could even be their temperment.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
StrangeRay