Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Loungers' Pets

Max Back Hurting

Early Monday I took Max to the emergency vet as his back and left leg was in pain. He has two fused discs and the nerve gets inflamed about every 6 months. We got Rimidyl and a shot and he seemed to bounce back pretty good but:

Max has a bad relapse Thursday. When his back hurts his rear left leg hurts like Syatica(SP). This time his back didn't seems as bad but his left leg was really bad. I took him to the regular vet since it was closer to when they'd open and the emergency one was already closed. I showed him the rimidyl and the paperwork from the Emergency and said that he started to feel better by monday evening and tuesday and wednesday was improving and he walked around a lot, so we all think he over did it and re-agravated the nerve inflamation. We got him some pain meds: a shot and some pils to take with the rimidyl. If he rests there is a good chance he'll get better. Know more in about a week.

Friday
The pain meds have Max knocked out and dopey, he looks so forlorn. I tucked him in with some blankets and he is resting on top of a blanket that folded to 4 layers on the floor, so its a little cushy but firm. Max instinctively lays on the floor when his back hurts and I like to give him something to pad it so he is more comfy. He was so knocked out yesterday he did not eat the dry food and did not want any water. So I give him a little Liverwurst and the last slice of cold cuts ham. (I put his pills in liverwurst as he loves it so much he inhales it and never knows there are pills in it.) I mixed some water and 2% milk together and he drank that. He pooped on the kitchen floor late last night sometime between 10 and midnight. I got up because I was tossing and turning then came out to get a sleeping pill and cleaned that up. I was relieved for him because he had not gone that day. He gets the pain meds every 12 hours and it keeps him pretty mellow. This morning he finally ate some dry food but still did not touch the water so I did the milk water mix and he was thirsty. He let me know that he needed to go out and went out in the front yard in the drizzle. He does not seem to be in pain as the meds may be masking it, however they are making him rest and that is really good.

BTW, I was so nervous over Max yesterday that I needed to do mindless physical activity. So I mowed the front and back yards after I trimmed the corner palms all the front roses and part of the pine tree. (I even mowed the front yard of the people across the street while they were out, because they mow hardly ever and their yard looks worse than mine. Well their front looks better now, but i doubt they even notice. I was tempted to leave the pile of grass trimmings on their drive way but opted to not use the bag so the trimmings went back to the lawn.) Also I am giving thanks to God for letting the lawn mower start and work okay. Two days back i started it and was mowing the back yard and camoflaged under some leaves was the rope bone that Blue brought out. The mower hit it and jammed so it went from running to stopped in a tenth of a second and would not start. So I was relieved when it did start yesterday, after "resting."

Anyway, I am back to sending out resumes right now, take care everyone.

Slim Portly

One Too Many
Sammee is 12 weeks old today. Because she will be coming to work with me every day for at least a year while she is being trained as a service dog, I am bringing her in early on my days off while she is still in her Socialization period. She starts wagging her tail the moment we walk in and we stay until she starts to get worn out, usually about an hour or so. She will come in with me once she is old enough to stay quietly under my desk for a full work day, although of course at first we'll be taking plenty of breaks. Eleven hours at the office is a long day for any of us!

Don't you love her little "Service Dog" jacket?

DSC04828-CROP.jpg

DSC04831-CROP.jpg

DSC04832-CROP.jpg

Max still hurting.

Hi All!

When we made the trip to the vet on Thursday he said that if the Rimidyl did not do the trick. We would need to wait about 5-7 days to have it clear from Max's system , then start a cortisone treatment. Max got the last Rimidyl Sunday morning and he's still hurting. This is a little tuff to be "on hold" for the time it takes to get Max cleaned out.

Max's pain meds are listed at every 8-12 hours. The first few days they did last 12 but went to 10 and now 8 hours. When they are working he is a bit dopey and doesn't give the usual signs for what he needs so I have been moping up when he urinates inside usually on the tiled floor though! I wasn't sure if he had pooped in a while but was actually elated to find this morning he went twice on the tiled floor in the foyer.

So now we'll go to the vet on Monday and see what he says.

Prayers for health and healing for Max are most welcome.

cherry lips

Call Me a Cab
I was feeling blue today, but looking at all your cutie pie pets cheered me up. You can almost see their personalities, and how much they are loved by you :)
epr25 and Quigley Brown, I'm sorry to hear bout your loss. I'm sure your little dogs are in heaven.
John in Covina, I hope Max is feeling better.
BegintheBeguine, you are one lucky mommy!
Darhling, I'd really like to meet Grisling (and you) soon! ;) Doggie snacks and tea at my place?
DSC00074.jpg

waingirl said:
Fifties*Freak said:
One day I'd like to find my very own pug or french bulldog, preferably a homeless grown-up, it would be a dream come true.

John in Covina said:
Hi All!

When we made the trip to the vet on Thursday he said that if the Rimidyl did not do the trick. We would need to wait about 5-7 days to have it clear from Max's system , then start a cortisone treatment. Max got the last Rimidyl Sunday morning and he's still hurting. This is a little tuff to be "on hold" for the time it takes to get Max cleaned out.

Max's pain meds are listed at every 8-12 hours. The first few days they did last 12 but went to 10 and now 8 hours. When they are working he is a bit dopey and doesn't give the usual signs for what he needs so I have been moping up when he urinates inside usually on the tiled floor though! I wasn't sure if he had pooped in a while but was actually elated to find this morning he went twice on the tiled floor in the foyer.

So now we'll go to the vet on friday and see what he says.

Prayers for health and healing for Max are most welcome.

My prayers are with you. My dog has been through quite a bit as well and I understand what you are going through. These days though, vet medicine has come quite far. They can do a number of things that they didn't understand what or how to do years ago. Their quality of life improves significantly when they get it right. Samantha was unsteady as heck when she came home from the dog hospital. I thought she was not long for this world but when the medication wore off, she was just fine---even after a major stroke.
Max will be just fine. It just takes time and considerable mental suffering on your part I am sure.:( Its tough to watch them suffer but there is light at the end of that tunnel.

Slim Portly said:
Sammee is 12 weeks old today. Because she will be coming to work with me every day for at least a year while she is being trained as a service dog, I am bringing her in early on my days off while she is still in her Socialization period. She starts wagging her tail the moment we walk in and we stay until she starts to get worn out, usually about an hour or so. She will come in with me once she is old enough to stay quietly under my desk for a full work day, although of course at first we'll be taking plenty of breaks. Eleven hours at the office is a long day for any of us!
Don't you love her little "Service Dog" jacket?
DSC04828-CROP.jpg

DSC04831-CROP.jpg

DSC04832-CROP.jpg

There is nothing like a sweet loveable puppy.

Thanks again all of you for the best wishes for Max. The cortisone treatment is considered to be a bit more agressive and he has responded in the past to it. If the cortisone does not clear it up then we explore if doing surgery is worth while.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy