Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Loungers' Pets

Quigley Brown

Call Me a Cab
My companion of 16 years, Arizona, died this past September.

zonabackyard.jpg
[/IMG]

I don't think I'll ever get my own dog again, but I'm helping raise a friend's new puppy, Dutch, an Australian Kelpie. What a bundle!

Dutch100.jpg
[/IMG]

Mrs. Merl

Practically Family
Oh, I am so happy (and jealous) when I look at this thread! I love critters so much!! I am in the market for a pooch (finally after years of wishing) and can't wait to find "the one!" From me to all your precious furry friends - I send a virtual scritch!

People that own pets like cats and dogs live longer.

I have Max the Dachshund and am babysitting Blue the terrior mix and found that a second dog is good for Max and me.

When Blue goes to live with her mommie, I will have to get Max a companion.

Mrs. Merl

Practically Family
I always had pets when growing-up/living at home. Ever since I moved out I have felt sort of incomplete. I think we live longer because of how much our pets add to our life in the positive column.

I also think we live longer because pets have unconditional love which soothes and protects us from the stress that comes with cares of the day. And they give a sense of purpose and sharing which the human spirit needs.

Mrs. Merl

Practically Family
Just what I meant - only with better words!! (Sorry this is "off-topic" - but just real quick - anybody know a reliable breeder of Norwegian Elk Hounds - ignore me if I am too out of the theme of the thread. But I promise to post pictures when we get our pooch!)

tempestbella42

One of the Regulars
:eek:fftopic: i just had the worst few hours of my life!! Monty got out and ran out on the road!! ill hear the thud as long as i live! my heart stopped! he got up and ran home, covered in mud and blood!!
ididnt know what to do! ive no car and no money but my neighbour who had seen the whole thing took uss to his vet and paid the bill for me (i will return the money!) but what a guy!! he lost his dog not long ago and has just got another rescue one!

the good news is miracously monty is fine, despite a lot of cuts and bruises down one side, theres no internal danage ( blood was from how hes bit his tongue !!) ive just washed him as the vet said and hes curled up on my lap! i love him so much i dont know what id do if i lost him! i find this very frightening!!

i know one thing hes NEVER getting out again like that!!!:eusa_doh:

tempestbella42

One of the Regulars
i love greyhounds and whippets! my stepdad raced them when we were young, then bred and showed them, they were family pets too! such lovely characters!
montys back to normal....i think i was more effected than him!!:eek:

he was lucky and so was i!! sorry i wasnt myself yesterday!

i hope you do find another companion like Arizona some day Quigley, although there will always be one Arizona for you, im sure hed be happy for another dog to benefit from having a wonderful owner like you! xx

Slim Portly

One Too Many
If MarkL doesn't mind me sharing, here is a short note that I sent him earlier.

= _ - _ - _ - _ - _ - _ - _ - _ - _ - _ - _ - _ - _ - _ - _ =​

Subj: A sad day today

My old dog Loki died today. She was sixteen-years-old and I had her with me since she was six-weeks-old. She had a wonderful, happy, and healthy life. She was as sweet as pie and didn't have an aggressive bone in her body. On the other hand, like me she didn't suffer fools and she took no crap from any other dog. She had lost most of her vision and hearing over the last few years, and within the last six months or so she had a harder time getting around. It would take her longer to get up or to lay down, and on a really bad day she couldn't get up at all without help.

Last night she lost the ability to control one of her rear legs, dragging it under her after I lifted her up to walk out back, and by this morning she could not support herself at all. I put a blanket under her and placed a pillow under her head, and I fed her some of her favorite treats. By this afternoon she was gone. I took her to the local vet and when they asked I told them that I didn't want any of her remains. When I came home I threw away all of her things. The first thing to go was her food bowl, a beautiful hand-panted ceramic piece that a friend of mine made for her when she was a puppy.

And now there is an empty place, both in my home and in my heart. She was my first dog, and though I have trained thousands of dogs in the last sixteen years and there will no doubt be many to follow, she was my special girl.

And now my new puppy is whining for attention so I think I'll give her some love. I seem to have a bit extra tonight.

- s

= _ - _ - _ - _ - _ - _ - _ - _ - _ - _ - _ - _ - _ - _ - _ =​

This is how the silly old girl liked to sleep, under my bed, with her head sticking out and her tounge hanging out. She stopped doing this when she could no longer get out from under the bed by herself.

LokiTired.jpg

Loki helped me train many puppies over the years. Here she is giving Sheila some last minute advice before she went out for her first trip to the pet store.

Out002.jpg

Once she banged her tail and it bothered her so much while it was healing she couldn't leave it alone. I was forced to make her wear the space helmet. This was not a happy dog.

SpaceLoki.jpg

Loki looking her best on Thanksgiving a couple of years ago. Goodnight, sweet girl. Poppa misses you.

LokiBest.jpg

KY Gentleman

One Too Many
Slim- I'm sorry to read about Loki. Its tough to lose a friend.
I have had some great dogs in my life that have gone but I still think about them and miss them, too.
Pets enrich our lives in ways that cannot be measured. I hope your new puppy is a healthy one and you have a long time to enjoy its company.

Dogs are about as close as one can get to unconditional love. They want to be with you and do things with you so much that sometimes they won't even let you know that they are injured and hurting.

Slim you have my deepest sympathy and if it's not too late I'd get that bowl, and put it away somewheres, because in the future it will be a trophy of proof of how much difference a dog can make in a person's life.

Mrs. Merl

Practically Family
Slim,

Your girl was a beauty. I am sorry for your loss, losing a pet...wow what can you say. I am happy for your new puppy though. Looking at your Loki, your new pup has certainly found a wonderful home. Thank you for posting the pictures and the little bit about her.

-SM

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
Slim Portly, I'm sorry to hear that Loki is gone :( I know exactly how you feel because I lost my Georgie ( a little white Bichon Frise) a couple of months ago... it's sad beyond words... and you are so right when you say " empty place in house and heart" those were my feelings exactly. Hopefully time will take the edge of pain away and only the nice memories will remain.
Loki was a beautiful dog.

tempestbella42

One of the Regulars
so sorry about Loki slim portly...so many happy memories left! such abeautiful character!
you probley already noticed but DOG spelt backwards is GOD, and love is never more unconditional and pure than that from our dogs...xxx

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot