Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Loungers' Pets

Barbigirl

Practically Family
Chuck the cat has been a friend for a while but now he's family, he's a Turkish Van.
chuck_002.jpg

Attachments

• Chuck Photo on 2011-06-27 at 19.12.jpg
    Chuck Photo on 2011-06-27 at 19.12.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 125
Last edited:

scooter

Practically Family
We lost our beloved Aussie Shepard, Bindi, in early March. She had undiagnosed heart disease and by the time we realized something was wrong, it was too late to save her. She was at the Mayo Clinic for dogs and waited for my wife, to whom she was utterly devoted, to return before she lay down her head and crossed over the rainbow bridge. Her passing was shocking and unexpected, and it makes my heart ache to think she is gone. She was absolutely the most magnificent dog I have ever shared my life with. IMG_0004.JPG
IMG_0954.JPG

Last edited:

GHT

I'll Lock Up
We lost our beloved Aussie Shepard, Bindi, in early March. She had undiagnosed heart disease and by the time we realized something was wrong, it was too late to save her. She was at the Mayo Clinic for dogs and waited for my wife, to whom she was utterly devoted, to return before she lay down her head and crossed over the rainbow bridge. Her passing was shocking and unexpected, and it makes my heart ache to think she is gone. She was absolutely the most magnificent dog I have ever shared my life with.

Scooter, I love the story of Rainbow Bridge, and I feel your pain.
China Doll is a Birman cat, her markings were very rare, she was known as a: Torty-tabby-blue point. We moved to this house in 1997, China lived next door. A year later, our neighbours marriage was on the rocks, undecided who should have the cat, they asked us if we would have her, that's how she came into our lives as a five hundred pound (sterling) rescue cat.

She thrived with us, and we adored her. My wife so loved the breed that China soon had not one or even two Birmans for company, but three.
Always the alpha cat among them, she kept order, but she could also be relied on to get up to mischief herself. She was a house cat who never strayed far, about the furthest she went was our next door neighbour's fishpond, where she stared for hours at the koi carp. She might have freaked the fish but she would never touch them: Get her feet wet? Are you serious?

Our house has a high pitch roof with the bedrooms built into the roof pitch. The rear windows are flush with the roof angle, China loved to climb on the roof, pretend to be in difficulties, causing my wife to run upstairs to open one of the skylight hatch windows for the cat to climb through.
Biggest cat flap in the world, I would joke.

In her later years she was like living with an old lady. You would often see her part way up the stairs, sitting there, trying to work out if she was going up or coming down. She was such a dear.

Friday morning, 9th May, I heard my name called in a tone of voice that resonated urgency. My wife told me that China had tried to rise from her bed when her legs gave way. I found China, on my wife's lap, curled up, being stroked. I reached down to touch her, she raised her head to look at me, I stroked her beautiful head, she rested it back down on my wife's lap, and breathed her last. With dignity, she left us to cross Rainbow Bridge.

If ever a cat left pawprints on my heart, that one did. She is buried in our garden with a small rose to mark her grave. The name of that rose?
Remember me. Farewell China.

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
I'm so sorry to hear about the passing of China and Bindi.
It's hard to see them go, because they become family members, not just a pet.

GHT, I understand about the neighbor, we have one now that isn't really taking care of his German Shepherd puppy.
He is (by feeding her in the afternoons) but he isn't (by not getting her a larger water bowl, so the small one is always empty).
For the past week I've been giving the dog water out of a Tupperware bowl.
Most of the time she just wants attention, and I (and the wife) give her plenty from over the fence.
As well as our two "girls."
Today I got tired of using the Tupperware bowl, so I went to a local pet store and bought the dog a water "feeder."
I then told my neighbor that she can use this when she's outside, because she's getting way too big for a puppy bowl.
While I was nice, I was firm and the point was made.
The dog lays in the somewhat shaded yard, but really has nowhere to go when the sun shifts.
So I mentioned that too, and the fact that my wife is pretty close to buying the dog a house, if he doesn't (or doesn't build one).
Like this...
dog-house-design-2.jpg
I know the guy is busy, and I know part of the issue is money (child support), but the dog has needs too.
For the past 2 weeks, I've talked to the neighbor about the breed, and their need for attention (unlike a Terrier).
Hopefully this has done some good....
While I really don't think it will happen, it's not out of the real of possibility that one day my wife might end up with that dog over here. :D

Kt Templar

One of the Regulars
So sorry to hear about your losses.

My 18 year old little black tortie girl passed away in January after fighting hyperthyroidism for several years. She had 2 tablets a day and didn't complain much at all. Finally her kidneys gave in.

29njd53.jpg

Her brother a big beautiful ginger and white passed 2 years previously. Several months after pulling through a bought of pancreatitis, he died in his sleep suddenly just before Christmas. The the girl would sit on the back patio looking for him for months afterwards.

2a0gy9k.jpg

For both of them thank god for pet insurance!

So, 6 weeks after we lost the tortie the emptiness of the house got too much and we started looking for some kittens, little did we know that there are kitten 'seasons'! In the UK about May to October is the high season, when cats are breeding and kittens are becoming available. April when I was looking is absolute low season.

After about 3 weeks I was starting to go spare, I had talked to all the rescues in the vicinity and none had youngsters only 9 months plus and I really wanted littleuns so eventually I went to the classifieds.

And I found 2 little sisters!

This was day one... 8.5 weeks old.

35irr6s.jpg

They grow so fast!

2hiazhe.jpg

2e14ytg.jpg

Just 5 months old and tipping 4lbs now, constantly getting into trouble and climbing where they shouldn't, but we wouldn't have it any other way.

Renault

One Too Many
Pretty cats Templar!!!

I have about 18 farm cats here on my place. With names such as Woodrow, Oscar, mowgli, bagerra, tori, little ugly, Madame dubonnet, stumpy, the list goes on!!!i do like my farm cats!! Unfortunately I generally come up missing one every month or so when the coyotes pack thru! Life goes on!

scooter

Practically Family
Those are gorgeous dogs! Really quite striking. Thanks to all for your kind words concerning Bindi. She was a princess, the glue that held all of us together. We have several cats and other dogs, and although they may not always see eye to eye with each other, they all loved Bindi. Every single one of them! She had an easy charm about her that would melt the hardest heart! I console myself with the thought, we all die, but few of us were ever loved as Bindi was loved.

And I should also say, my condolences to all those among us who have lost a beloved animal, or as my daughter callls them, "fur babies".

Last edited:

ChiTownScion

Call Me a Cab
DSCF0032.JPG

One of the furry children, Chloe.

Calvin Reduced.jpg

Calvin, our rescue pup. Chloe's little brother.

Pug was the compromise breed. I wanted an English Bulldog, my wife wanted a Bichon. After a Schipperke and an English Bull Terrier, we really appreciate pugs.

Last edited:
I love those little guys. Every time I see a pug I can't help but smile. They make me think back to my college days, many years ago. I worked for a while in a local bar, and there was an older lady who often came in for a drink or few in the afternoons. She had a pug named Miss Dixie she always brought in with her. I was always amazed that the little dog could jump all the way up onto a barstool, but she could, and we would give her a bowl of water and she would sit there at the bar while her lady had her cocktails.

I would also extend my deepest sympathies to Scooter and all the others who have lost beloved pets recently. It's hard. We recently lost Buddy, our cat.

Sent from my XT1030 using Tapatalk

Matt Crunk

One Too Many
This is one of our newest babies, Possum Agnes. "Possum" because she looked like a baby opossum when she was smaller, and "Agnes" because we think she's almost a dead ringer for the daughter Agnes in the film The Fantastic Mr. Fox.

10155913_10154018236190077_181706035_n.jpg
10151298_10154018236110077_221476711_n.jpg

1506647_10154018236000077_1603444451_n.jpg
10154985_10154018235905077_1129872032_n.jpg

Barbigirl

Practically Family
She does look foxy, how big will she get?
This is one of our newest babies, Possum Agnes. "Possum" because she looked like a baby opossum when she was smaller, and "Agnes" because we think she's almost a dead ringer for the daughter Agnes in the film The Fantastic Mr. Fox.

10155913_10154018236190077_181706035_n.jpg
10151298_10154018236110077_221476711_n.jpg

1506647_10154018236000077_1603444451_n.jpg
10154985_10154018235905077_1129872032_n.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner