Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Love at first sight? What Balloney!!...or, does it really happen?

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
BegintheBeguine said:
Yes, like our imaginary boyfriends. Mine even wakes me up, like the talking Jeeves clock. :rolleyes:

lol
Well, Frank-cool-McBeans, my imaginary boyfriend is like totally in love with me, but he has not gotten the nerve up to come and tell me.
I have that effect on people :rolleyes:

LD lol

nulty

One of the Regulars
I beleive in the life we have. That everything we've been or will be is everything we are now. Some of that is illusion and conceptual feelings within us that paint pictures in our minds and hearts. When someone comes along that seems to fit an ideal by either a sensory ideal or some subconcious connection the lightening bolt can hit and I'm head over heels..

I'm a married guy and happily so, but I'd be telling a lie if I said I didn't fall in Love 10 times a day....

My wife and I weren't Love at first sight, not at all. That's something borne out of trust and hardship and being there for each other....

Lee Lynch

One of the Regulars
Yes, we fell in love very quickly, and it's the best ever! I was apprehensive, having been heartbroken pretty badly before, so I did grill her with questions at first, lol...

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
If you're feeling romantic, watch this little movie clip :)

And who said romance was dead?

A short complilation of magical romantic vintage movie moments, where 'that spark' is very much alive. So, don't YOU HAVE MOMENTS like these with someone you just met and the lightening bolt struck?

Keep an eye out for 'that' CASABLANCA MOMENT, as Bogie and Bergman say goodbye. Ever had one of those, "I've just met you and I never want to leave you' moments?"
http://<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/6rYs4EjTgro"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/6rYs4EjTgro" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Elizabeth finds her Mr Darcy...(Video Clip..set to Ella Fitzgerald)

OK, incurable romantic here! I admit it, guilty as charged. But as I don't seem to be alone judging by this thread and some of the wonderful comments and personal stories...I thought I'd share this video footage from "Pride & Predjudice" where Elizabeth and Darcy have a bit of "love at first sight" going on in their lives.

For me, the wonderful dulcet tones of Ella Fitzgerald, singing that song (that sums this thread up so much for me), THE VERY THOUGHT OF YOU, rings so true..."I see your face in every flower.."
Enjoy a few minutes break, at THE FEDORA PLAZA...

http://<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/B8xqeX1S4aE"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/B8xqeX1S4aE" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

Rosie

One Too Many
Hemingway Jones said:
I think you recognize something amazing in another person and initially you have a visceral reaction to this recognition. Perhaps it's the realization that, standing before you, is the personification of all of your dreams. Perhaps, there is something in the human soul that recognizes it’s compliment in another person and your mind and heart are stricken and the first to fall to love’s pervasive sway.

Then, once you get to know this person, these feelings are either mitigated away from certain unrecognized incompatibilities, or they are deepened by those endless strings of almost synchronicity-inspired similarities, commonalities, shared values, honest revelations, shared goals, even similar political views ;) ; all those wonderful things that make love such a fulfilling and incredible human endeavor.

I think it only goes to reason that we would have a capacity to recognize our true love. We recognize food; what nurtures us and what is harmful; we recognize clean air and water; we know how to seek shelter; we recognize all of those things that we need to survive. Love is the ultimate human pursuit; how could we lack the ability to recognize this? :)

Wow Hem, that was so beautifully said. :)

I am not sure if I believe in love at first sight. The other night, I had a first date with someone new and I can honestly say there has been this weird attraction that I have NEVER felt before. Attraction in itself may be the wrong word, though it was our first date and I've known him for all of about three weeks, I felt very much at home with him, alomost as though I belonged with him. Is that love at first sight? (or upon first date?) I maybe crazy to admit this but, the thoughts "this is your husband" played in my head a few times. I guess I'll just keep you guys updated. :rolleyes:

Bernard Newman

New in Town
Naama said:
I don't belive in love in anyway these days for me..... Never been in love, and don't think that I'll ever be in love [huh]

Sometimes I feel exactly that way.
The reason is having a crush on a classmate since 3 years and just she can't stand me.:( Some (including me) say we would go well together and the reason she can't stand me is just politic! (Why do they think that someone with a little more conservative point of view is a rascist:rage: )

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Rosie said:
Wow Hem, that was so beautifully said. :)

I am not sure if I believe in love at first sight. The other night, I had a first date with someone new and I can honestly say there has been this weird attraction that I have NEVER felt before. Attraction in itself may be the wrong word, though it was our first date and I've known him for all of about three weeks, I felt very much at home with him, alomost as though I belonged with him. Is that love at first sight? (or upon first date?) I maybe crazy to admit this but, the thoughts "this is your husband" played in my head a few times. I guess I'll just keep you guys updated. :rolleyes:
Thanks, Rosie! I appreciate your kind words. I have wonderful inspiration.

I would put my money on your intuition. ;)

OldSkoolFrat

A-List Customer
It Does!!!!!!!!!!

Gotta say, Bub: It does.

Met my bride at, "Squeal Day," in 1983, September. Kept my eye on her for 3 years, finally started dating her after a Pi Kappa Alpha &, Chi Omega mixer in 1986.:) .

Married in 1991, indulges my endeavors regarding Haberdash to this day. ;)

Loves the Fedora, BTW.:eusa_clap

Fedora by, "Classico" from Scala.

Always liked the look of Scala hats, no wonder I bought one.

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I'd like to believe in love at first sight. I'm a hopeless romantic, and I'm still hoping that it will happen to me.
I have been in love twice. In both situations it was something that happened over time. Not too long of a time, and for all I know it might have happened at first sight, but I was too blind to see it. I became very good friends with the two men I fell in love with, and after a few months of dating, they seemed like extensions of myself. While I was in love with them, I couldn't imagine a time when I wasn't in love with them. Although both are long gone, although one I am still good friends with (yeah, his girlfriends love that), I still love them dearly. I get together with one of them a few times a year, the only reason why we ended things was that he took a job in another state, for the first moments he is with me feelings of love rise up in me. So, I guess I have experienced love at first site in a few months:)
But, one day, I'm hoping that I will meet the man I am to love, and I will know that he is the one I am to be with, at first sight......

Miss Match

New in Town
If my parents haven't been lying to me all these years, love at first sight can definetly happen. They'd been set up on a blind date by my Dad's sister, - she and my mom were sorority sisters, and after a party my aunt told my mom that she should go to the next party with her brother, they'd be SO CUTE!

My Mom hadn't wanted to go out with him, thinking that he must surely be a complete nerd if he needed his sister to set up dates for him. Also, she had just started seeing another fellow by the time the next party rolled around, but the date had already been set so she agreed to go. My Dad was horribly shy and didn't want to go on the date because he didn't know the girl. Lucky for me, my aunt is a persuasive woman! If she wasn't, I might not exist!

My Dad went to pick up my Mom, dressed in a blue three piece suit. My Mom's first reaction on seeing him was "Wow, he's handsome!" I'm not sure what my Dad's first reaction was, because whenever the story is told he stammers out something along the lines of "Oh! Well... I... um..." and almost blushes.

They very nearly didn't see eachother again, because Mom didn't answer the phone for two weeks, worried that the other fellow would call! Poor shy Dad thought she was avoiding him. Luckily, my aunt's pursuasiveness saved the day and she got them back together.

25 years later, they're still together and still in love. Yay!

LadyDeWinter

A-List Customer
Well, as I am very romantic I believe that there is love at first sight, but it has never happend to me yet. But I hope it will some day.
Love at second or first sight that's what happened to me. Love is the most beautiful thing in the world.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
I certainly believe in obsession at first sight. I've been its victim once or twice. But that's not love, or even in-love.

I think romantic notions like LAFS have more or less died down due to the growing awareness that finding meaningful companionship in the modern world is grim, depressing, and dehumanizing for a lot of people.

PrettySquareGal

I'll Lock Up
For me, love is not just a feeling, but an action of being loving. It is entirely possible to have feelings of love for someone right away, but the act of being loving takes time and effort. The foundation for both people to really trust one another I would think should also be more than a few seconds, minutes, or a conversation over a drink.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy