Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Love Letters

Viola

Call Me a Cab
When I was in the service I was the envy of all the women in my division because of the regularity of letters and packages and pictures I was getting from my guy. And the letters were S.W.A.L.K. - sealed with a loving kiss.

I still have every single letter he sent me.

*martini*time*

A-List Customer
GranadaGuy617 said:
Yup, anything that would add a sense of normalcy, or home.

Edit: ...having read through some of the letters in the books I have, most wives and girlfriends used feminine stationary...really frilly pink stuff or unlined paper. The guy wrote back on whatever he could find. So the GI would go to his company clerk to find paper most likely and thats where the letterhead came from. I'm pretty sure the Canadian engineers have a different insignia than the American one. Sorry about the confusion. Canada used some of that love code spoken ab about in this thread also in letters I think..not 100% on that but I personally go by the exception not the rule, because there was always that one guy who did it for his girl.

Thanks for clearing it up. I'm still gonna get him some sort of stationary set, just as a going away present. I plan on posting all the envelopes so he just has to put them in the mail box.

Spiffy

A-List Customer
I have a rather large collection of letters, notes, sketches and portraits (yes, a painted portrait too!) from my First Great Beau, who was a prolific artist. I'm at the point in my life now where I am trying to figure out what to do with them. I don't want to drag them around behind me for the rest of my life, but my parents are slowly going through the boxes of stuff that I've left behind in their house over the years, cleaning and purging and making space for new things, evicting the stuff I've store there.

I'm thinking that I'll either seal them all up in my hope chest, or hold a Viking funeral for them somewhere.

Edward

Bartender
Heh.... I had a 'Viking funeral' of sorts for the souvenirs from all my relationships, quick on the heels of when I was over each one of them. I'm not a believer in holding onto any remembrance of past relationahips, but thn mine were pretty much all a waste of time, so, eh... [huh] lol

I do remember sending letters to one girl while she was away being a camp leader, and mobile phones were banned. That was kinda fun, though I stopped it, admittedly, after the first year when I discovered that the camp leaders thought it was clever to open and read, in front of an audience, letters received at camp. A church-based group too - I was furious. The girl objected to me writing letters the next year and enclosing, for the benefit of those who would open them, an outline of English law and offences relating to interception of mail intended for another. No more letters were written thereafter. Prior to my discovery of this gross inavasion of privacy, I do remember the letters being kinda fun. Possibly something I'd do again in future, should circumstances call for it.

Sertsa

One of the Regulars
I used to write a lot of letters, some time ago, mainly in an intense, stream-of-consciousness style. They were well-received, and they'd mix things, from the simple everyday things to the more intense. I used a lot of poetic and rhythmic imagery, too, simply because that's why I write, at least when I'm being more creative.

I guess the expression I kind of aspired to was the tone Keats reached in some of his letters, particularly one ending one with, "Tonight I shall imagine Venus your star and pray pray pray to it like a heathen."

Helysoune

One of the Regulars
When my mister and I first met, we were separated by several hundred miles, so we exchanged many love e-mails, all of which I've kept and re-re-re-read. I also sent him actual letters, spritzed with my perfume and sealed with a lipstick kiss, all of which he lovingly kept and carried around in his inner coat pocket, so he could re-read and smell my perfume whenever he wished. Imagine how horrible I felt when I found I'd accidentally washed that coat. :eusa_doh: Luckily, because it was an inner pocket with a zipper, the fragments were contained and I was able to peel the wet letters apart and lay them out to dry. They actually survived mostly intact, and he was able to keep them.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eve_grace