Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Love the color, wish it were mine ...

When this hat was handed off to me ...

IMGP1558.jpg

... its original size tag said it was a 7 1/8, but it was actually closer to a size 7, and as such it was way too tight for its owner.

It had moth damage, the most severe of which is this hole ...

IMGP1559.jpg

This moth tracking is typical of what it had in three or four places, most of which sanded out pretty well (you might have to have it pointed out before you'd notice it) or was covered with ribbon.

IMGP1560.jpg

So I took it apart and cleaned it and blocked it up a couple of sizes and turned a quarter inch or so of brim into crown, which also served to cover some of that moth damage on what had been brim material, right near the bandline. A wider-than-original ribbon was necessary, to cover that moth hole. It was fortunate that I happen to have a roll of vintage ribbon in a color just about identical to the original edge binding. This is the result ...

IMGP1563.jpg

IMGP1562.jpg

IMGP1567.jpg

The liner, original sweatband (which I replaced) and original $17.50 price tag have me thinking this is likely a '60s-vintage hat.

I kinda regret having to give this hat back to its owner, because the color, a pinkish tan, is just so pleasant, even if its more subtle shadings don't come across all that well in the photos. I doubt I'll find another like it anytime soon.

What we have here is a vintage hat -- the body is old, the liner is old, even the replacement ribbon is old (older than the rest of the hat, I suspect). Only the sweatband is new. But I'd argue that it's good as new. Better, really, in some significant ways. Certainly better than what can be bought new for less than, oh, 250 bucks.

Here's hoping this has you looking more favorably upon those moth-eaten, dusty, dirty, misshapen, undersized old hats at the bottom of the stacks at the secondhand/vintage/antique shops. I mean, if they can be had for just a few bucks ...

Thanks for the kind words, fellas.

I'm actively snapping up salvageable old hats, provided the price is right (read: cheap). They can be in quite small sizes (fairly typical, that) or quite large sizes (not at all common). They can be dirty and dusty and smell bad and have crumbling sweatbands (or no sweatbands at all; I've come across a few) and stained and/or wrinkled and/or torn and/or discolored ribbons. They can even be faded and have a bit of moth damage, depending on just how severe and just where on the body that moth damage and fading is. I'll even consider a body that's getting worn at the pinch.

It's not that I have immediate plans for any of those forlorn old hat bodies. I'd still much rather make new hats, but there's some satisfaction in restoring a banged-up old hat to something resembling its former glory.

rmrdaddy

One Too Many
Looks great Tony!

I apologize if this has been discussed, but do you have a website, or online price list for services, etc?
Or should I just PM you? :eusa_doh:

Super!

"What we have here is a vintage hat -- the body is old, the liner is old, even the replacement ribbon is old (older than the rest of the hat, I suspect). Only the sweatband is new. But I'd argue that it's good as new. Better, really, in some significant ways. Certainly better than what can be bought new for less than, oh, 250 bucks.

Here's hoping this has you looking more favorably upon those moth-eaten, dusty, dirty, misshapen, undersized old hats at the bottom of the stacks at the secondhand/vintage/antique shops. I mean, if they can be had for just a few bucks ..."

:arated:

fedoralover

Call Me a Cab
Hey Tony, I didn't know you were getting so good being a hatter. What a great refurb job. I had a thin ribbon fedora that the tannins from the sweat band had leached through the felt and left a noticable ring around the crown. Like you I found that by putting a wider ribbon on it covered it up and problem solved.
Do you have wood blocks to do your resizing? If so where did you get them?

fedoralover

buler

I'll Lock Up
Sweettttttttt

Tony, thats some makeover.

They should do a reality show, "American Hatter", where you, Art, the Major, and company do hat conversions and fresh "builds". ;)

B

fedoralover said:
Hey Tony, I didn't know you were getting so good being a hatter. What a great refurb job. I had a thin ribbon fedora that the tannins from the sweat band had leached through the felt and left a noticable ring around the crown. Like you I found that by putting a wider ribbon on it covered it up and problem solved.
Do you have wood blocks to do your resizing? If so where did you get them?

fedoralover

It's fair to say I got some blocks. I have pretty much everything I need and quite a bit I don't. But you know, I've yet to talk with a hatter who wouldn't be interested in seeing what else he might acquire. And there's not a one of them who wouldn't want just one (or two or three) additional examples of the more desirable and useful blocks and flanges. (I've come to view the proper flange as a most under-appreciated thing, by the way.) You can get more done in less time that way. No waiting to free up that one particular block, you know.

I know what you mean about whatever it is in leather sweatbands (you say it's tannin, and I wouldn't dispute that for a moment, seeing how I sure as heck wouldn't know) bleeding clean through the felt. I've seen it lots of times. Nothing that a wider ribbon wouldn't fix.

I know, I know, the world is a much poorer place for having one or two fewer unadulterated Open Roads in it, but somehow we'll carry on.

ALL*HeLL

New in Town
Beautiful work Tony!

I like to do the same with old warhorse rifles from the past. My hobby up until now has been to restore firearms from our past.

I hope to get as good at this new hobby as I am with that one and at least half as good as you are.

It is now very apparent whose brain to pick for restoration projects.

fedoralover

Call Me a Cab
tonyb said:
I know what you mean about whatever it is in leather sweatbands (you say it's tannin, and I wouldn't dispute that for a moment, seeing how I sure as heck wouldn't know) bleeding clean through the felt. I've seen it lots of times. Nothing that a wider ribbon wouldn't fix.
QUOTE]

Well, I'm only assuming that's what it is, I'm not sure what else would do that. Anyone else have any idea's??

fedoralover

Ordinary Guy

One Too Many
Excellent. Beautiful hat and you saved it from the trash can... That is a Two Fer.......

Can I ask what you used to sand the slightly seen moth tracks???

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic