Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Lucille Bremer or "the Bump"

cherry lips

Call Me a Cab
Bob&Lucillephoto_page.jpg

I watched "Till The Clouds Roll By" yesterday and tried to do my hair like Lucille Bremer today, without any luck. How do you succeed with the Beautiful Bump?

I set my hair with the largest hot rollers at the bottom/ back of my head. When I took them out I teased the hair underneath and brushed the top hair over. Yes, I have an ever so slight bump, but it's nothing like hers! Do you have to pin the hair above so it's super flat and tight to your head? Now the back of my head just looks like the ends are curled in.

Are there any bump tutorials out there? Please help me!

P.S. To see the larger image just press the link at the top of my comment!

LolitaHaze

Call Me a Cab
I don't know how to do this myself, but if I were to experiment, I would wet set (slightly damp) my hair using my peach perm rods (1/2 inch?) rolling to just the nape of the neck. I would assume this would give the body needed. After sleeping on my hair I would brush out the curls continously unril the tight curls were brushed out creating a larger poof at the botton. Once that was set, I would them spray the back of my hair with setting lotion or hairspray and brush my hair flat until it reached the poof. Never brushing through the poof.

I don't know if this would work for me, but it is how I would experiment with it the first time. Good luck. :)

cherry lips

Call Me a Cab
Thank you, Lolita. Should the rods all be horizontal and rolled in towards the head, or should they be set in different directions?
If there's anyone out there who's done "the poof" (it's a classic 40's do) please share!

MissHannah

One Too Many
I'm just watching Weekend at The Waldorf and Ginger Rogers is sporting something very similar. I think BIG curlers has got to be a good start.

BTW and OT Lana Turner's hair in the movie is just killingly beautiful:

Waldorf-Bunny20with20Flower.jpg

My hair is too long for this style I think and my pin-curling abilities are sorely lacking!

16_sparrows

Vendor
I think the key in this hairstyle is to set a horizontal half wave, there are instructions here. This is what pops the ends of your hair out making that bump. The side by her ear looks like a diagonal half wave (also on that page). After making those half waves, I would set curls below the wave with the first row going clockwise and the next two rows going counter clockwise. This set should get a nice smooth top with the two "under" rows creating volume. To get the soft look you need to brush brush brush after drying. The more you brush the softer it gets and the more the waves blend together.

Post your results!

cherry lips

Call Me a Cab
hot rollers

Wow, thank you gals! I'll definately try this soon, but I'll do it with hot rollers instead of pincurls, because that's what I use. If you have any tips on translating pin curls to rollers you're welcome to share.

Kiri

One of the Regulars
Yeesh, that bump is what happens to my hair every time I brush it, and here I am trying to make it go away! Maybe I should learn to embrace it. Haha.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo