Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Luftwaffe jacket quandry

Hawkmoon

New in Town
Hello All,

I've been on this board 2 or 3 times now, but have never properly introduced myself. My name is Will and I'm located in Sydney. I've been watching this board (silently, for the most part) for the past 1.5 years now and have been quite impressed during that time with the amount of knowledge that is out there among the members. Because of that, I'm quite happy to put my quandry over my latest purchase to the members, just to get some opinions and collect ideas.

Being a military history buff for some years now led to me being bitten my the 'leather and military style' bug, only six or so years ago now, when I had (finally) saved enough money to buy a brand new (black goatskin) Civil G-1 from Gibson and Barnes for my 21st birthday. I've been wearing that jacket ever since and love it to pieces but only very recently I (once again) found myself with enough money saved up to buy my next item on the list: a 'Luftwaffe style" jacket.

In between searching for a suitable jacket (and reading the available posts on here concerning such jackets) I did manage to find and purchase the one which I felt was the most suitable for what I was looking for.

Here are some pictures that I took of it after it arrived only the other day.

Hawkmoon_269

Hawkmoon_269

It might look rather 'glossy' in the pictures, but that is purely the result of the lights overhead, combined with the flash. (No Pecards or etc has been applied). It was originally purchased by a named Luftwaffe pilot from Austria and was made by Laponia (also of Austria). The veteran (whom I have also received a picture of) is known to have served on the fronts against Yugoslavia, Russia and on the home fronts, with at least some portion of that time being spent with JG 27. The seller bought the jacket directly from the pilot in question a few years ago.

Now, admittedly, I was a little 'bummed' when I first looked at it 'in the flesh' (or in the leather, as it were). I found that the left sleeve has a small cut (near the elbow) and the right arm has been scratched over a small area (on the lower forearm). The inner lining has clearly seen better days, with the lower areas having been restitched by hand at some point in time. Also, one of the teeth on the Ritsch main zipper is a little loose.

After having given myself overnight to 'let thoughts settle' I took another look at it yesterday. "Damn, it is a good looking jacket" I thought to myself (which I do still think). I also 'made my peace' with the wear and tear that there is, considering how old it is, what its been through - and in particular, the attributes that I was looking for in/from such a jacket.

What I was looking/hoping for was a Luftwaffe 'style' of jacket (very much preferably one that actually was used by someone in the Luftwaffe and has some history behind it) that could take the place of my beloved G-1 (i.e. daily wear).

I do realise that I've got two, almost completely, different motivations there that do not necessarily mix or 'go together' very well in a practical sense (not to mention a realistic sense), but for the most part, I have found a jacket that would/could be and do just that.

I figured (all things given) that I could have interior of the jacket replaced with very similar, if not identical lining. Ditto with the pockets and have any restitching re-done as it necessary.

So what's the problem? As many may have already guessed (and has been discussed in other posts) it is the fit.

When the seller gave me the measurements long before, I did check them out by trying on an item of clothing (which turned out to be a long sleeved shirt) that had approximately the same dimensions. Everything seemed fine. I even gave the seller my height (170 cm - 5ft 11in) and weight (85 kg 'currently') and asked for his opinion. Of the 6 or so jackets that he had, he said that this one would fit just fine.

The jacket does fit, but I do feel that it is rather short, especially the sleeves. This is even more accentuated for me as my G-1 is a 44L (even though I am smaller than that, typically a 42L) as I do prefer a bit of a baggy fit so I don't feel so 'constricted'.

Some very quick pics of me with the jacket on.

Hawkmoon_269

Hawkmoon_269

Hawkmoon_269

Hawkmoon_269

Looking at some of the pics 'from back then' I knew that the jackets had a very 'close' fit, but surely, they must have been worn (at least) 1 to 2 inches longer. In the pictures just above, the jacket ends just above my belt line (approx 3 inches below my belly button) and the cuffs are approx 1 inch shorter than what I would prefer them to be.

Are there any suggestions on what I could do/should so in regards to this jacket? Considering that I am/would be inclined to have the lining replaced anyway, is there some- 'fangdangled' -thing that could be done to (even) slightly lengthen the jacket? Or, considering that the jacket is still in one piece and has a know history, should I simply not touch the jacket at all and put it in the collection? I suppose that I could always have a copy (albeit slightly longer) of it made.

I would prefer very much prefer to be able to wear it. If not, then I could put it in my uniform collection - even though I would be bummed that I couldn't wear it.

Any and all suggestions would be appreciated.

Will

Edward

Bartender
I don't know about the sleeves - I'm sure there are plenty on here who can advise on that - but the fit on the body and the height of the waist are spot on with the look of all the original photos of Luftwaffe boys I've seen. That 'high and tight' fit in general is typical of the 30s, it seems to me. If you want something that is a perfect fit, for the most part going modern repro is likely the only practical way; the Aero 30s Halfbelt could be run up with a couple of minor mods to be very, very close to this jacket in style. Of course, if you want another original piece that was actually worn by a Luftwaffe pilot, then you're going to have to wait it out for the long term for one with just the right fit (hard to establish when buying online, as you know), and properly authenticated (given the number of these jackets that get passed off as Luftwaffe when they merely happen to be in that style and contemporaneous to the WW2 era Luftwaffe).

deanglen

My Mail is Forwarded Here
If it were me, I'd post it on e-bay and let it find a home. My guess is that your points of dissatisfaction are not going to go away. It was the sleeve length that I see as the deal breaker. The fit of the body of the jacket not so much. You can lose weight to affect that, but your arms are not going to get any shorter, and unless you are willing to compromise the integrity of the jacket with an attempt at changing out the cuff pieces, assuming that would do the trick, I think you'll remain unsettled about it.

dean

Southernwayfare

One of the Regulars
deanglen said:
If it were me, I'd post it on e-bay and let it find a home. My guess is that your points of dissatidfaction are not going to go away. It was the sleeve length that I see as the deal breaker. The fit of the body of the jacket not so much. You can lose weight to affect that, but your arms are not going to get any shorter, and unless you are willing to compromise the integrity of the jacket with an attempt at changing out the cuff pieces, assuming that would do the trick, I think you'll remain unsettled about it.

I totally agree. That jacket doesn't fit you. Seriously, why pretend. Looks like you have three options - 1) mod it to fit you and in the process ruin it, 2) keep it but don't wear it, or 3) sell it or trade it. I'd go with the last. It's always difficult to give something like this up because it doesn't fit or you don't use it but in the end its the best thing to do.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Doesn't fit, Son. Flog it off. By the way - the back story about that jacket sounds suss to me. Is there any actual proof of it's history?

johnnyjohnny

Practically Family
vote for selling it

must say that from the numerous pix i've seen of actual ww2 luftwaffe pilots, the fit of your jacket is how they actually wore them

but in the same breath i must add that it looked bad on them...not sooo bad on you, but still not the right fit for modern times

but even aside from that, if this jacket does in fact have the history you relate, i would wear it only seldom, and too carefully to really enjoy it

if you want to truly enjoy a jacket, get an eastman or aero that really has the flavor or even exact look of what you want, and enjoy it, rather than over time use up a piece of history

you should be able to get a nice price for it on ebay...even if as suggested it's pedigree turns out to be unprovable, it looks authentic, has all the correct components, and should get a good price no matter what

then geat a jacket that is new but the style and fit that you want and is correct, will last you a lifetime no matter what you do in it, and you know you can enjoy and won't eventually wear it out...

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
I would question that jackets age.
I imagine it is a post-war jacket.

The Luftwaffe jacket eBay tradition is growing.
99.9% of those touted as pilot-worn are total fakes-
most of them sad/insane total fakes.

It's very difficult to verify a commercial jacket's "military" history.

It looks a tad snug.

How much was it?

B
T

tonypaj

Practically Family
I agree with others, if it does not fit, why hold on to it. Sell it, find one that fits.

One little point caught my attention, though. Probably a typo, but if not it would explain the poor fit to some extent:

"I even gave the seller my height (170 cm - 5ft 11in) and weight (85 kg 'currently')"

5ft 11in equals more like 180 cm. But like I said probably a typo in your post...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner