Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

LUFTWAFFE jackets - Eagles who Dare to Wear..!

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Hi Aswatland,

As I mentioned I am not a Luftwaffe expert so might be off target.

I am referring to the white leather flying jacket which sported a black mouton (dyed sheepskin?) collar. This was definitely in Luftwaffe use before and during the BoB, and I was wondering whether it was an issue item. I have only seen photos of it being worn by fighter pilots, not bomber crews.

Issue or optional stores purchase?

aswatland

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Smithy said:
Hi Aswatland,

As I mentioned I am not a Luftwaffe expert so might be off target.

I am referring to the white leather flying jacket which sported a black mouton (dyed sheepskin?) collar. This was definitely in Luftwaffe use before and during the BoB, and I was wondering whether it was an issue item. I have only seen photos of it being worn by fighter pilots, not bomber crews.

Issue or optional stores purchase?

Yes this was an issued item. It was a winter shearling jacket, undyed often with a darker fleece collar.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Ah! Thanks for that Aswatland, I'd often wondered about that jacket.

It's a very smart jacket but they must be fairly rare now. Any idea when they stopped being issued, early in the War?

aswatland

Smithy said:
Ah! Thanks for that Aswatland, I'd often wondered about that jacket.

It's a very smart jacket but they must be fairly rare now. Any idea when they stopped being issued, early in the War?

No idea,but these "arctic" jackets were still being used extensively on the Eastern Front in 1942-3.

Paden

Vendor
aswatland said:
I agree with you. There were issued leather jackets later in the War, including those worn by the ME 262 pilots.

Many Luftwaffe pilots were not Nazis at all. I am no fan of the Nazis, just like some of the German jackets, which were top quality. the stitching on this one is much better than on many allied jackets in my collection!

Not only 262 Pilots, all fighter pilots from 44-45.
A friend of mine, a former 109 pilot from JG 52 (Hartmann was his latest commander!)got still his jacket.

Regards,

Ingo

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Any chance of taking some photos and posting them here Paden?

I'm sure I speak for others in saying that it'd be great to see some!

John Lever

One Too Many
Paden said:
Not only 262 Pilots, all fighter pilots from 44-45.
A friend of mine, a former 109 pilot from JG 52 (Hartmann was his latest commander!)got still his jacket.

Regards,

Ingo
Hi Ingo !
Check your messages. I would like to know your opinion of the Doursoux kanal jacke
Thanks, John

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Take a look at the Schiffer book:
Luftwaffe vs. RAF.
Plenty of both.

BoB and earlier LW leather jackets were a privately purchased item.
The so-called "French cycle jacket" (Hartmann style)was used a lot- other leather jackets from the occupied countries- France, Belgium and Germany.
Shoulder loops, epaulettes and other cutomisations added.
This usage dwindled as the war progressed.

Issue flight jackets- cloth, shearling, shearling and ersatz insulated cloth and leather, in varying weights and colours were predominant in the mid war years. Of course there were still privately procured jackets but not as common as we see during the pre-war and BoB.

Elements of the 2 piece bomber suits were sometimes used.
Late war, leather jackets and pants were used. These were issue sets and also, privately procured/tailored. There were myriad styles and variations of cloth and shearling jackets and suits, for tropical use, temperate and "over water" use- the Kanaljacke and hose.
I have seen photos of LW flyers wearing capyured B-3s and A-2s.

The jet squadron pilots looked like a bunch of bikers in their black and dark brown leather suits. Rather scary.

A few years ago, a German eBay seller had excellent copies of the leather jet pilot jackets, with good hardware.

I'd like to see a good repro of the kanalhose and jacke.
They have been repro'd in small numbers.
The US based Luftwaffe reenactors have ventured into such territory and Thuringen Militaria .com have made a repro before-

-but he doesn't seem to be offering one now.

The Chinese and HK based repro vendors (eBay)have also threatened to make them.

SM Wholesale offer(have offered) a cloth flight jacket, as do other repro vendors.

B
T

John Lever

One Too Many
BellyTank said:
Take a look at the schiifer book:
Luftwaffe vs. RAF.
Plenty of both.

BoB and earlier LW leather jackets were a privately purchased item.
The so-called "French cycle jacket" (Hartmann style)was used a lot- other leather jackets from the occupied countries- France, Belgium and Germany.
Shoulder loops, epaulettes and other cutomisations added.
This usage dwindled as the war progressed.

Issue flight jackets- cloth, shearling, shearling and ersatz insulated cloth and leather, in varying weights and colours were predominant in the mid war years. Of course there were still privately procured jackets but not as common as we see during the pre-war and BoB.

Elements of the 2 piece bomber suits were sometimes used.
Late war, leather jackets and pants were used. These were issue sets and also, privately procured/tailored. There were myriad styles and variations of cloth and shearling jackets and suits, for tropical use, temperate and "over water" use- the Kanaljacke and hose.
I have seen photos of LW flyers wearing capyured B-3s and A-2s.

The jet squadron pilots looked like a bunch of bikers in their black and dark brown leather suits. Rather scary.

A few years ago, a German eBay seller had excellent copies of the leather jet pilot jackets, with good hardware.

I'd like to see a good repro of the kanalhose and jacke.
They have been repro'd in small numbers.
The US based Luftwaffe reenactors have ventured into such territory and Thuringen Militaria .com have made a repro before-

-but he doesn't seem to be offering one now.

The Chinese and HK based repro vendors (eBay)have also threatened to make them.

SM Wholesale offer(have offered) a cloth flight jacket, as do other repro vendors.

B
T
Ingo [Paden] makes a Kanal jacket.

fishmeok

Vendor
Replica "Luftwaffe" pilot jacket- what do you think?

This is another one of those replica Luftwaffe pilot jackets. This example and a similar "panzer" jacket were sold by Sportsman's Guide here in St. Paul MN. I have seen this jacket on e-bay regularly for WAY more than what the Guide sold them for, and I picked up mine at their retail outlet for about $35. It's actually a pretty nice coat, brown cowhide which has been dyed black and lots of neat details. I experimented with mine and took about 6" off the middle last night- it has a modern cut, which means about an extra 6" across the belly...
Cheers
Mark

DSCN2684.jpg
DSCN2683.jpg

DSCN2681.jpg

aswatland

Pilotguy299 said:
I think it looks great. Maybe a bit snug though...

Great jacket and certainly not a snug fit IMO. Luftwaffe pilots wore their private purchased leather jackets in a variety of fits, some appeared rather tight whilst others appeared to have more room for movement.

Dixon Cannon

Very nice!

I would gladly trade you! Although there was no 'standard' design for Luftwaffe jackets and there are plenty of photos to show the variation, yours is closer to that which many 'experten' wore.

8ef5d298.jpg

fishmeok

Vendor
HI
Sorry, haven't seen one there for a while. The place is like a big thrift store- sometimes you really find some good swag, sometimes nothing...
Cheers
Mark

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy