M-51 Fishtail Parka and such

Discussion in 'Outerwear' started by Fifty150, Mar 15, 2020.

1. Doctor Damage

Doctor Damage My Mail is Forwarded Here

From photos of vintage parkas it's clear the liner isn't very thick, so I believe you when you say it's not overly warm.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2020 at 9:37 PM
    bn1966 likes this.
  2. Fifty150

Fifty150 Practically Family

It's for more intimate, personal viewing, behind closed doors, between consenting parties?

bn1966 likes this.
  3. Fifty150

Fifty150 Practically Family

The modern, discount retail version isn't all that warm either. It was meant to be a top layer. And most of those guys in the photos were really bundled, with who knows how many layers. At least 1 of them could have been wearing 2 sweaters, 3 pairs of socks, or whatever.

In the winter, with snow, ice, and wind, this coat is fine when worn over a jacket, sweater, shirts, long underwear...... But for your money, you are probably better off with modern technical textile. The option did not exist in 1951. Today, you can get a waterproof breathable top layer. Maybe someone could manufacture a SoftShell M-51 Fishtail Parka, with a 300g weight Polartec liner. The hood could be redesigned with adjustment bungee for better fit. I would buy it.

bn1966 likes this.