Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

M-51 Fishtail Parka and such

Fifty150

One Too Many
High winds at the airport right now. Small craft advisory. Fog bank rolling in. It's cold, windy, and foggy. Typical SF summer. I am putting on the budget priced Rothco fishtail parka. I can ride the bus and it conceals my firearm. I really do like this less than authentic, lower price coat.

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
Here's one from the "what the fkk?" file... 1984 dated fishtail in a pattern designed to supposedly confuse night-vision!

parka night camo 21.jpg parka night camo 22.jpg parka night camo 23.jpg parka night camo 24.jpg parka night camo 26.jpg parka night camo 28.jpg

Peacoat

Bartender
The liner in the first series of photographs (post #90) looks like the one a friend of mine gave me for one of my M-65s (Field Jacket). It was probably issued to him in about 1970. It is a bulky liner, but warm.

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
The liner in the first series of photographs (post #90) looks like the one a friend of mine gave me for one of my M-65s (Field Jacket). It was probably issued to him in about 1970. It is a bulky liner, but warm.
Does it fit into your field coats? Because the parka liners seem to be longer and with a different button configuration than the field coats, although that's just me eyeballing. I'd be amazed if the Army was foresighted enough to have interchangeable liners (that said, the detachable hood was transferrable between parks and field coats, so...).

Peacoat

Bartender
I can't remember if it fits my 1966 Jacket, or if I even tried it in that one. The one I have it in is the camo jacket which is of more recent origin. It is a 1983 jacket.

EDIT NOTE: Here, I am discussing the jacket liner and not the parka liner. I believe the jacket liner is shorter than the parka liner, but the construction material appears to be the same.

Last edited:

Cornelius

Practically Family
Does it fit into your field coats? Because the parka liners seem to be longer and with a different button configuration than the field coats, although that's just me eyeballing. I'd be amazed if the Army was foresighted enough to have interchangeable liners (that said, the detachable hood was transferrable between parks and field coats, so...).

My M-51 has that same liner, has an odd kind of stiff terry cloth feel. A gift from my Dad who received it from EOD friends at Fort McCoy, surprisingly featured in post #87. As a kid I buttoned in an M-65 nylon liner in addition to the "terry cloth" one to make the parka warmer [I wasn't wearing 4 layers of clothes just to wait for a school bus] and the two liner styles are the same length. The parka's in summer storage at the moment but I could dig it out for a closer look.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21