Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

M&W Traveler

Shaun Mangan

New in Town
Hello,

My name is Shaun Mangan. You may have noticed a new banner at the top of the forum that is advertising horsehide “Briefcases, folios, and more!” I’m the guilty party who worked with the Fedora Lounge folks to place it there.

I have been “lurking” on the Fedora Lounge for a couple years and I have learned tons of great information from all the wonderful contributors here. Eventually it led me to make several purchases from Aero Leather and Gibson & Barnes (Highwayman, Café Racer, and an A-2 of the Mark 41 variety). I fell in love with the horsehide leathers used in these jackets and wondered why no one had ever taken horsehide into other applications where this tough leather would be appreciated. So instead of continuing to wonder and wait, I decided to take the plunge into the entrepreneurial world and find out.

Actually the decision wasn’t quite that simple. Let me give you a little more background info:

College years: I go to an engineering school on an Air Force scholarship and decide two years into the program there is no way I’m going to be an engineer. Upon graduation I ask the Air Force to put me as close to the action as possible and I end up on the E-3 AWACS at Tinker AFB in Oklahoma City.

Air Force years: I go to night school to learn about business and to help me with my dream of starting my own business one day. Fast forward through Desert Storm, marriage, and children, and you find me leaving the Air Force after 5 years so that my wife and I can start our own daycare. It fails miserably before it can start due to naivety and lack of capital. Time to get a job.

Career Building years: I spend 16 years climbing the corporate ladder and fighting jet lag as I pursue business opportunities for my employers all around the world. I eventually reach the top rung only to become totally disenchanted with the corporate world and stuck in a rut. I had never lost my dream of pursuing my own business and finally decided this past February (after much more research and preparation this time) to make the leap. Of course, the timing isn’t the greatest with the economy as it is, but I figure it’s kind of like having kids – there never is a best time to start.

Which brings us to today and hopefully gives you a little more insight (probably more than you wanted) into the guy that just popped up on your forum with a banner ad.

My wish is to be a contributor here and to provide a service that is a welcome addition to your community, and not an intrusion. If you would like to learn more about my fledgling enterprise you can click through on the banner ad or go directly to www.mw-traveler.com and see what I’m up to there. Please feel free to approach me with any questions you might have. Feedback about our products is always welcome.

Thank you all for sharing the wonderful community you have built. I have felt at home here for a long time, even though I haven’t been posting. I’m looking forward to being an active member and getting to know you better!

Shaun

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner