Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

M9A1 bazooka

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
I've been wanting a replica bazooka for a while for reenactments to go with my inert WW2 rockets. The M1A1 version was preferable but I kept seeing these M9 replicas around from multiple companies and I liked the practicality of that version.

A reenacting friend told me to go with one from Hong Kong, but that one turned out to be junk and I ditched it. Then I ordered an airsoft version from Evike. It arrived yesterday and I'm pleased with it. It's made almost completely out of steel, is almost 5 feet long, and weighs 15 pounds, like an original. It's a beast.

There were a few issues that needed to be fixed before reenacting with it. First, the sight that came with is plastic junk so I replaced it with an original.

Next, the grip is postwar style. Not a huge deal since no one would really know or care, but I would. It'll have to be either replaced or modified.

Lastly, it needed a repaint to get rid of the orange muzzle and to get it the correct color. That was pretty easy.

I also wanted to use this to demonstrate the loading procedure. Unfortunately this tube will not fit original rockets. Is just a hair too narrow. I have a wood shop at my disposal and made a slightly undersized demonstration rocket out of wood.

Here are some pics before I start changing things.

The details are pretty good. The wrapped wire is very well done.

The postwar grip. The range plate should be painted OD with stamped lines and numbers, but not a deal breaker.

The business end.

It can come apart in the middle just like an original. The little latch keeps it from unlocking.

Once apart the two pieces can latch together for transport, again just like an original.

Ready to go! I have a sling for it.

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
Here's how she looks today. I'm really liking the new paint color. It's already getting bumped and scratched, looks nice and used.

I've tracked down an original WW2 grip for it so eventually I'll install that to it.

And the view down the original sight (of an original, well-used zeltbahn).

Last edited:

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
Here are my three bazooka rockets. The top two are inert originals while the bottom one is a demonstration rocket I made our of wood. It fits inside the bazooka so I can demonstrate the loading procedure.

Notice the top rocket has a safety pin installed. After I took this photo I made two more pins for the other rockets. Beneath the rockets is a carry bag which can hold 3 rockets in their cardboard tubes.

Last edited:

emigran

Practically Family
Ancillary tale..
Just this past Veteran's day I was in a diner having coffee when I spied the most darling senior ( and I do mean Senior) couple at a nearby table. They were pouring over the extensive menu and discussing ( read arguing) about which chicken dish to have. The waitress was most patient. The woman was simply stunning and he equally handsome and spry. After their meal he got up to pay and walked (cane in hand) right past me. He said hello and eagerly returned my greeting..." He went on to engage me and tout his 93 years on the planet, regaling his time as a Veteran of WWII. He had served in France as a bazooka gunner and told me he had blasted a German tank to smithereens...!!! His lovely wife then followed and told me how it was too quiet here for a Thursday night.. that inNYC it would always be "happening"... I guess they make regular trips fo the BIg Apple to foray in their 90's...!!!

Last edited:

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
I missed this the first time around. Very impressive replica and tune-up job thereon! Reminds me of when we were kids and we'd make dummy WWII weapons out of scrap wood, PVC pipe and whatever else we could dig up. A 2 x 10, a dowel rod and an angle grinder can be used to cobble together a fairly convincing (at 100 yards) M1A1 Thompson!

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
Progress on the M9A1 bazooka.

The original wartime grip has been temporarily attached and looks great. The stock trigger guard is a bit undersized and a new one will need to be fabricated, but for now this will do. I found a steel bracket with which to attach the grip and after some drilling, grinding, and bending I got it to fit very nicely.

Also, the stock range plate seemed a bit out of place being all shiny. I was able to scrounge up an M20 range plate (since M9 plates are impossible to find and the M20 plate is very similar). It was a rusted mess but after a grinding and repaint it looks good as new. It has notches that keep the sight arm in place and makes for a nice, authentic touch.

More updates to come.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner